Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Looking to upgrade to V Drive

Maz55

Hello All,

Looking to move up to a good used V drive boat. Had a blast this season with our Skier but looking to upgrade. Family loved being on the water and we enjoyed quite a few trips and the Skier was great for getting into the sport. Wife and I are looking to upgrade, room is the major push, but we are on a budget, 25K to 30K. Direct drive and lack of storage were a struggle with our group (5 people minimum it seemed), as we spend most of the day out on the water. Getting ready to go look at a 2001 Sunscape 23 LSV with Wakesetter package this weekend and would appreciate your thoughts, what to look for, etc. We will be putting it in the water, even on a cold winter's day. :)

Talked to salesman, and was able to glean some information but wasn't all that knowledgeable on Malibu's. One owner boat with 300 hours. Would appreciate your thoughts, thanks!

post-28475-0-35071100-1449015131_thumb.j

http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/bod/5336989740.html

That looks very clean. May be a great time to get a good price. Not sure if this vintage is one with the damper plate issues. If it is, I'd see if it has been replaced.

I think I'd be most interested in options and price. Dont think you could go wrong with this one.

Steve B.

A friend bought a 2001 Tige from PS last winter and was able to negotiate down quite a bit from their winter price. They sell all kinds of used boats and don't know much about any of them.

You're also close to Lewellen Enterprises outside of Springfield and they'll often have an early 2000's v-drive for sale. Looks like they only have a DD right now but if they get one in, you can go there with cash and they'll come way down from their CL asking price since they typically buy repos cheap. Never dealt with them directly, just 2nd hand knowledge.

Thanks for the input all. Price does seem a bit high and that was only over the phone. Once we see it person and run it, will see if we can get them down a bit more.

Not sure on damper plate, previous posts I've read on here said the '01 engine was pretty solid but there were some issues with '02 - '03 engines.

Curious about the tower, does that look like the stock tower installed back then? Not crazy abut the look of it, but looks and function don't always go together.

Thanks for the info NWBU, we have looked at Lewellen, as they're about 10 mins from us. They have a Tige RZ4 we looked at and a couple Centurion's but no Malibu V-Drives currently. The owner there seems to be pretty nice guy and helpful. They just did move an '04 23 LSV couple weeks ago, CL price was $35K. We didn't like the color or the bimini. The bimini was really low and i couldn't stand straight up under it (i'm only 6ft). Not sure what it sold at. Will send you a PM too.

That is really a nice looking, well taken care of boat. Since their ad says to make an offer, I'd do that. Give them your "winter price".

Have the engine checked out by a qualified mechanic. If the vinyl and gel coat are as good as they look in the pics then make an offer. There will probably be a few inexpensive warts to take care of but the Crew makes it so much easier to get that stuff done!

Thanks for the input all. Price does seem a bit high and that was only over the phone. Once we see it person and run it, will see if we can get them down a bit more.

Not sure on damper plate, previous posts I've read on here said the '01 engine was pretty solid but there were some issues with '02 - '03 engines.

Curious about the tower, does that look like the stock tower installed back then? Not crazy abut the look of it, but looks and function don't always go together.

Thanks for the info NWBU, we have looked at Lewellen, as they're about 10 mins from us. They have a Tige RZ4 we looked at and a couple Centurion's but no Malibu V-Drives currently. The owner there seems to be pretty nice guy and helpful. They just did move an '04 23 LSV couple weeks ago, CL price was $35K. We didn't like the color or the bimini. The bimini was really low and i couldn't stand straight up under it (i'm only 6ft). Not sure what it sold at. Will send you a PM too.

That is the stock tower.

Our Bimini was quite low, but provided great coverage from the sun to shade the kids.

Sold our 01 vlx for $24k last August , 310 hrs, plumbed ballast in the rear lockers and switched on the dash. Basic stereo w/sub. It was in great shape,

I'd say this time of year and those specs puts that boat closer to $21-22

There are always several parts to a deal. The price. The offer, the counter offer and hopefully the selling price.

If the boat was priced in the low 20's which is likely where the seller needs to be and may fully expect to be, some of you guys would say offer him 18,000 and the seller may owe more than that or just won't accept that low of a selling price cause he knows it's worth more.

Everyone expects to move a little from their price. Anything below 24,000 is probably in the right range on this boat. This will give you room for plumbing upgrades etc.

22-24K realistic buying price. It looks well cared for but like others said have a mechanic check it out. That's no hours for a boat that age so it probably sat unused for a while.

It looks like it has a Diamond Hull, which I have and really like, just FYI. It looks really clean, but price is high..should be around $22K. It is 15 years old, the vinyl is probably going to need to be replaced at some point when you own the boat, keep the in mind.