Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Sign in to follow this  
BlknYlwT22

Discounted Comp Vest

BlknYlwT22

What website do you guys suggest to find decently priced? I am looking to buy a comp vest to give to my fiance for Christmas and don't want to pay $125 for one. Last year I picked up a last years model Slingshot Impact for half off and would like to do the same for her.

Rednucleus

see if adrenaline watersports has any Christmas deals

WINEGRAPEGROWER

or Wiley's...Darrin always has xmas specials.

ahopkinsVTX

Performance ski and surf, h2oproshop, wake house are the one so would look at.

shawndoggy
bcoppess23

What website do you guys suggest to find decently priced? I am looking to buy a comp vest to give to my fiance for Christmas and don't want to pay $125 for one. Last year I picked up a last years model Slingshot Impact for half off and would like to do the same for her.

If you get time, go up to the Ripple Wake in Carmel and check out Brad's selection of comp vests. He usually has good prices on his stuff.

powderski14

How much flotation do these comp vests actually have.... None or a little bit?

ahopkinsVTX

I am 6'0" ish and 170, my Eagle floats me just fine.

oldjeep

How much flotation do these comp vests actually have.... None or a little bit?

Way less than half the flotation of a USCG vest.

BlknYlwT22

Thanks for all the suggestions! I float just fine in my Slingshot but it is certainly not as buoyant as my USCG Hyperlite vest.

ahopkinsVTX

Not trying to start a debate, there is obviously less flotation material in a comp vest but if you need to be higher out of the water than the pic below. IDK why.

Vest.jpg

oldjeep

Not trying to start a debate, there is obviously less flotation material in a comp vest but if you need to be higher out of the water than the pic below. IDK why.

[]

Better chance of being above water when you can't hold your head up on your own. Most of our uscg vests have a bias of flotation on the front and sides.

ahopkinsVTX

Sorry, but unless you are using a Type I USCG vest you can float face down just as easily. It may be biased, but it isn't going to roll you over.

t a

Vest.jpg

I use one as well but the only reason the rider is that high up is because of the board he is standing on. Without the board, he'd prob be up to his chin in water. I don't recommend comp vests unless you are a very experienced rider. There are CGA's out there that "look just as cool."

I would never put my kids or wife in one.

Edit: Not putting anyone down for wearing one, it's a personal choice and personal preference. I like them but would not recommend for riders with less experience who do not know how to fall well.

Edited by t a

ahopkinsVTX

I am skiing in the picture :) I agree with the kids and even my wife.

BlknYlwT22

I'll be honest, I use my comp to surf in. If I am wakeboarding, I am undoubtedly using my USCG vest.

oldjeep

I am skiing in the picture :) I agree with the kids and even my wife.

Skis float too;)

t a

Yea surfing I'd def consider a lot safer use of comp vest lol. Better than surfing no vest :)

t a

I got an email from buywake.com today 50% flash sale from noon - 4pm eastern time riding essentials and clothing

Edit: Promo code flash50 NVM only good on clothes :(

Edited by t a

rennis

I'll be honest, I use my comp to surf in. If I am wakeboarding, I am undoubtedly using my USCG vest.

Same