Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Design my truck stereo.

tn_rider

I do not need a head unit. Going to drop some coin and eventually get the the alpine x009. I do not want to spend more than $1700. The truck is a 08-13 model Silverado crew cab. I would like sound to sound immaculate but be able to get down low if needed. My main concern is the bass part. I more than likely will go with a higher end focal component for the front but do not need the same quality for the rear, however I still want it to sound good. I would like to do one 12 under the rear seat or two 10's. Post up any ideas! I looked at the arc audio black series but not sure if I have the space. I'm open to doing a .05"-1.0" seat riser to get more depth if I have to.

Seems like you have a decent budget. If I was looking to spend that much, I always wondered about putting exile/ wet sounds in.

From experience, I wouldn't skimp too much on the rear.

Seems like you have a decent budget. If I was looking to spend that much, I always wondered about putting exile/ wet sounds in.

From experience, I wouldn't skimp too much on the rear.

I thought myself about going with 4 Wetsounds and have one in each door. But for my truck id like a full sound. Which led me to the Focal line. Edited by tn_rider

I would not use a different speaker in the rear. Each speaker has a signature sound. In fact, I would not use rear speakers at all. Sound coming from behind me is annoying. Use that cash for better front speakers and sub.

I would not use boat speakers in a truck. They are intentionally hot in the treble in order to cut through wind and noise.

I am always impressed with JL Audio amps, subs, and speakers.

• Like 2

You doing this online or with a local shop?

The install will be with a local shop. I want all my pieces to give me the best result though. So, if the brand I use isn't on the shelf of my installer so what? I want to use what's best for ME. He knows he will have my install and every install I have from here on out as long as he is in business. IMO the best installer in Tennessee and every state that borders it. 8 to be exact. i want to put together the parts and have him install it.

Edited by tn_rider

Eh?

Hope I get t do it.

By the way, a 12 won't fit, not enough airspace, and the black10 is too deep. The focal flax has been solid. You need the get up here and see the focal display since we rebuilt it. Got the $2500 ultima up there with mosconi amps.

Edited by jonyb

I would not use a different speaker in the rear. Each speaker has a signature sound. In fact, I would not use rear speakers at all. Sound coming from behind me is annoying. Use that cash for better front speakers and sub.

s.

I offer the same advice for rears. We did a truck today with front stage only. Not reason for 4x6's in the rear to waste amplifier space.

Eh?

Hope I get t do it.

By the way, a 12 won't fit, not enough airspace, and the black10 is too deep. The focal flax has been solid. You need the get up here and see the focal display since we rebuilt it. Got the $2500 ultima up there with mosconi amps.

Not familiar with the mosconi amps. WHat is it about jl audio that you do not like? Seems quite a few here, as I do, have them and are very happy.

I have the 900/5 for the boat and 600/4 for the tower....both amps have clean, clear and plenty of power. And I have Boston acoustic pro 60s in the cabin.

I am am always interested in someone who has much experience and their input/opinion(s)!

There's a lot to explain on a question like that, and no matter how I explain it, no one here will understand. It goes past the product that's whored out on the Internet. That's sold through the backdoor in mass quantities and the best I can tell, they don't control it.

Most consumers here won't understand, and all most care about is the bottom line. Price is the ONLY thing that matters to most people these days. Never about the value of what they're buying.

My dislike for them started around 1999 to be honest. It started when they pulled the line from another store we had, because a dealer from 2 hours away opened a sister shop across the street from us. We had just placed a $10k order to keep a certain dealer status. That, it ridiculous. That a manufacturer makes you sell a certain amount. JL Audio has no regard for small, locally owned shops. Especially the ones in small towns. They're all about the money, and don't contribute to the industry.

The companies I deal with - I know all the company people by first name. Some I've bunked with and been to strip clubs with when we're out at trade shows. We've all got a good, first name relationship. They care about my small business and support me 100% no matter what.

As for the Mosconi, that's a part of Orca Design. Orca is the parent for gladen, focal, and mosconi. Very nice, high end equipment.

Edited by jonyb

There's a lot to explain on a question like that, and no matter how I explain it, no one here will understand. It goes past the product that's whored out on the Internet. That's sold through the backdoor in mass quantities and the best I can tell, they don't control it.

Most consumers here won't understand, and all most care about is the bottom line. Price is the ONLY thing that matters to most people these days. Never about the value of what they're buying.

My dislike for them started around 1999 to be honest. It started when they pulled the line from another store we had, because a dealer from 2 hours away opened a sister shop across the street from us. We had just placed a $10k order to keep a certain dealer status. That, it ridiculous. That a manufacturer makes you sell a certain amount. JL Audio has no regard for small, locally owned shops. Especially the ones in small towns. They're all about the money, and don't contribute to the industry.

The companies I deal with - I know all the company people by first name. Some I've bunked with and been to strip clubs with when we're out at trade shows. We've all got a good, first name relationship. They care about my small business and support me 100% no matter what.

As for the Mosconi, that's a part of Orca Design. Orca is the parent for gladen, focal, and mosconi. Very nice, high end equipment.

So it is not so much about JL Audio quality...but a personal dislike?

Am I correct in saying JL makes very good amps and speakers? you dont like they way they do business? ANd you don't like they they as a company have treated you and your business and ablilty to pay the bills? Which I understand, being a small farmer, ya get squeezed out/peed on by the big dogs!

I am just asking, as I really liked Boston Acoustics...but they no longer make car audio...not sure why they stopped?....and I have not listened to any of the focal or mosconi stuff. But may have to, since I have a new boat coming in the spring and will need an entire system for it.

The install will be with a local shop. I want all my pieces to give me the best result though. So, if the brand I use isn't on the shelf of my installer so what? I want to use what's best for ME. He knows he will have my install and every install I have from here on out as long as he is in business. IMO the best installer in Tennessee and every state that borders it. 8 to be exact. i want to put together the parts and have him install it.

I get that and if your installer is fine with it go for it. Not my point at all. Just seeing if they had a good brand(s) to lean toward in their selection.

We sold JL for 15 years and had very few issues and got great support from them. Each shop will have a different experience with each brand due to sales reps, personalities, expectations, promo events, leniency on purchasing policies, etc. We've had issue with a few brands that others loved, and vice versa. It happens.

Some of my buddies that are still in the business deal with Mosconi and Hertz, but I have no personal experience so I can't comment.

Through the years I've dealt with:

a/d/s/

Adcom

Alpine

Audio Control

Boston Acoustics

Celestion

Diamond Audio

Eclipse

Focal

JL

MacIntosh

Memphis

Pioneer (Premier, ODR)

Rockford Fosgate

Precision Power (1989-1995 goodness)

Sony (Mobile ES)

And probably a dozen others that fell out of my head at the moment. This was at two shops (actually one because mobile audio split off the main store), not because I jumped around.

I'm not here to push anyone toward or away from anything, but my general recommendations:

--The best way to pick gear is to listen to it. Period.

--You can absolutely save some money on rear speakers. If you want rears for passengers back there I usually use a lower line or coaxes of the same brand to keep tonality similar. Or skip them if it's only your dog back there.

--Spend your money on power and front speakers like you have planned.

--That money will only amplify and project what it's told to, so upgrading your HU later will make it come alive again if you put the rest in now off the stock HU.

--Don't forget to get the parts budget and install price ahead of time. Those two things could blow the budget on their own.

--Communicate with your installer very clearly and regularly on placement of product and any controls, etc. before the install. Write it down on the work order.

--Get on the forums and check out some sub box options. Not every great install is out there, but you should find some good ideas you can modify to be your own.

--HAVE FUN! It's what it's all about. Enjoying your time in your vehicle.

**Anyone quoting this be sure to delete the parts that don't pertain. Got long winded there...

Edited by jk13

I get that and if your installer is fine with it go for it. Not my point at all. Just seeing if they had a good brand(s) to lean toward in their selection.

We sold JL for 15 years and had very few issues and got great support from them. Each shop will have a different experience with each brand due to sales reps, personalities, expectations, promo events, leniency on purchasing policies, etc. We've had issue with a few brands that others loved, and vice versa. It happens.

Some of my buddies that are still in the business deal with Mosconi and Hertz, but I have no personal experience so I can't comment.

Through the years I've dealt with:

a/d/s/

Adcom

Alpine

Audio Control

Boston Acoustics

Celestion

Diamond Audio

Eclipse

Focal

JL

MacIntosh

Memphis

Pioneer (Premier, ODR)

Rockford Fosgate

Precision Power (1989-1995 goodness)

Sony (Mobile ES)

And probably a dozen others that fell out of my head at the moment. This was at two shops (actually one because mobile audio split off the main store), not because I jumped around.

I'm not here to push anyone toward or away from anything, but my general recommendations:

--The best way to pick gear is to listen to it. Period.

--You can absolutely save some money on rear speakers. If you want rears for passengers back there I usually use a lower line or coaxes of the same brand to keep tonality similar. Or skip them if it's only your dog back there.

--Spend your money on power and front speakers like you have planned.

--That money will only amplify and project what it's told to, so upgrading your HU later will make it come alive again if you put the rest in now off the stock HU.

--Don't forget to get the parts budget and install price ahead of time. Those two things could blow the budget on their own.

--Communicate with your installer very clearly and regularly on placement of product and any controls, etc. before the install. Write it down on the work order.

--Get on the forums and check out some sub box options. Not every great install is out there, but you should find some good ideas you can modify to be your own.

--HAVE FUN! It's what it's all about. Enjoying your time in your vehicle.

Thanks for your input! I'll not skimp out on the rears. I would like to have the surround type of sound with the rears.

**Anyone quoting this be sure to delete the parts that don't pertain. Got long winded there...

Eh?

Hope I get t do it.

For sure you'll get to do it. I'll be back home Tuesday and have a couple meetings. I hope to get up there next week. Any ideas for a sub setup? Want good clean bass but something that still gets low when I need it to.

I offer the same advice for rears. We did a truck today with front stage only. Not reason for 4x6's in the rear to waste amplifier space.

Interesting... I've always really like having speakers in the rear.

Interesting... I've always really like having speakers in the rear.

Have you ever run just a pair of well powered components up front and a sub? In that scenario, for the driver anyway, the rears are at best superfluous and at worst a distraction.

It's been a few years but I had a set of Focal K2s up front, and Focal Access series in the rear of my Tahoe with two JL 12W6v3s and the system sounded incredible. The upper end Focal's are hard to beat. Not quite as loud as some other lines but the sound dynamics are incredible. I know you won't have room for two 12's but you could do a similar setup with a JL Audio 10W6v3 or 10W7. JL's tech support is very easy to work with when designing a box with limited space.

Rear speakers? I think it depends on the particular vehicle and how you use it.

I have two vehicles with front stage only and subwoofers. And both use DSP. I definitely prefer this route especially if running an all-active system.

Two other vehicles have rear speakers and I fade them so that the rear speakers are basically inaudible until they're totally attenuated and only then do you notice the lost ambience contribution.

It makes a difference if it's a daily driver and mainly occupied by the driver only versus a multi-passenger vehicle. Both approaches have their applications.

The rear speaker size, location and baffle make a big difference in whether or not to include rear speakers. There's no point in investing in rear 4X6" speakers that are buried in a miserable location. They'll be distorted long before they can compete with the prominent front components.

You don't need to use identical front and rear speakers since the in-vehicle acoustics have a profound impact on the speaker voicing and the final sound you hear up front.

If you want a little rear fill ambience from the front driver perspective (and I like this in some cases) then I recommend a warmer rear speaker so that it doesn't distract from the front soundstage. You definitely do not want a directional rear speaker.

JL Audio allows you to do some nice front and rear mixes within their multiple speaker series. The better JL Audio component speakers will allow you to attenuate or accentuate the tweeters and vary the midrange lowpass hinge point. This is perfect for offsetting any positional differences you might have between the front tweeters and midbass drivers in achieving a really smooth response and thus a nice image.

Then the lower line coaxials used in the rear are voiced the same as the front speakers, as the JL Audio speaker line-up runs very consistent series to series, but usually come across a little warmer given their location. Just what's needed.

Chase you threw me off when you said he was in TN.....

I've g9t all the Focal line on display so you can hear them and pick out what you're ears like best.

Someone above mentioned the K2 series. Awesome line..... I've got the krx3 in my truck that are biamplified and they sound awesome.

Under the rear seat, I think a couple 10's will do it. We did 2 access 10's in a 97 xcab Chevy today, powered by a gladen 600w mono amp at 2 ohm mono. Sounded great for the investment. The Alpine type r 8 is another option.

Come see me when you get time. Give me a heads up first to make sure I'll be there though.

Jk13 we've got a pretty simple setup. We don't carry a ton of stuff to confuse people with. Alpine and sony for head units, focal and Alpine speakers, arc, gladen, and Alpine amps. Rosen and Alpine for video, clifford and Avital for security and convenience.

I did the work on chase's last boat and the 10 million led's :)

Chase you threw me off when you said he was in TN.....

I've g9t all the Focal line on display so you can hear them and pick out what you're ears like best.

Someone above mentioned the K2 series. Awesome line..... I've got the krx3 in my truck that are biamplified and they sound awesome.

Under the rear seat, I think a couple 10's will do it. We did 2 access 10's in a 97 xcab Chevy today, powered by a gladen 600w mono amp at 2 ohm mono. Sounded great for the investment. The Alpine type r 8 is another option.

Come see me when you get time. Give me a heads up first to make sure I'll be there though.

Jk13 we've got a pretty simple setup. We don't carry a ton of stuff to confuse people with. Alpine and sony for head units, focal and Alpine speakers, arc, gladen, and Alpine amps. Rosen and Alpine for video, clifford and Avital for security and convenience.

I did the work on chase's last boat and the 10 million led's :)

Jony, what do you think of the Hertz 6.5" components?

I listened to these yesterday in a local shop (are you proud of me?)... and I gotta say they sounded amazing.

http://www.hertzaudiovideo.com/car-audio-systems-energy-esk165_5/

You guys got me thinking about rears (as in forgetting them altogether).

Haha, very proud!!!

Ivery got a rep that's pushing hertz/audio pretty hard at me. I even filled out the dealer agreement, but with my demographics and the inevitable death of car audio, I decided to hold off. I've sat in some of the hertz demo cars at ces and mera knowledgefest, and they all sounded great. That company is growing and I think they're doing great.

By going to that dealer and listening to those speakers it helped your decision. Buying stuff blindly from the Internet is like buying an expensive t shirt only to find it doesn't fit when you get it home.

Listen to the focal flax line. You'll love them.

Sounds great and I agree it's the best way to do it. We only carried 4-5 lines at a time as well. As one would leave the arena (Mac, PPI, a/d/s/, Boston) we'd pick up one other to fill the gap. Too much definitely gets confusing and you tend to sell what's in stock vs. what might be a better fit for the customer. Or worse yet an inexperienced salesperson might confuse them right out the door.

Wish I was still in the business, stuck running a shop of bolt on accessories for now. And plows. Effin snow plows. I gotta get out of here soon.

Hell no chase, I'll take it with smiles! What's the next boat gonna be?

Jk, I understand.... We've got a sister company that handles suspension and off-road parts, mostly doing new dealer trucks. I stick with the mobile electronic side. The decision to hold off on hertz/audison was mainly from the main installer. Same idea, let's not confuse.