Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Tow rig audio - Car Play

Levi900RR

I've got a 2004 Tundra dcab limited. Toyota replaced the frame a year ago and I pretty much replaced everything on the truck so I'm in it for another 3-5 years. I want to yank the stock JBL system out and replace it with a more modern better sounding system. I'm leaning towards a head unit with Apple car play. Anyone have experience with this? I'm a little disappointed that it doesn't work over Bluetooth... I figure the second I buy a HU they'll come out with a wireless car play option.

Anyway... this is what I'm thinking:

Double DIN Head unit. I don't need NAV but I want legit phone integration, possible apple carplay, and I want to add a backup camera

JL 5 channel amp

Replace factory door 7" woofers with 6.5's of some sort

8" Sub under the rear seat in the storage compartment.

Any suggestions or tips?

EDIT:

Here's the whip...

9DA87866-F6DA-4075-91F3-64E8EC0988F7.jpg

Edited by Levi900RR

I have an AVH-4000NEX. Hardly ever use CarPlay. Much easier to stream music via BT and use Google Maps which voices over the music.

To me, the killer app is Pioneer's "network mode" audio that gives a decent active DSP without the hassles of a Helix or Bitone DSP. It's available on their DVD lineup.

What is the budget?

Personally, I've always liked Alpine. I currently have a single din, but have always been impressed with their source units.

Re: sub. I'd just to a 12" and call it a day. You can always dial it down, but having an underwhelming bass after you install everything is a sucky feeling. You likely won't save much by going smaller either. Just my .02.

I owned an '06 Tundra Limited double cab and I pulled the head unit and put an iPad mini it it's place; it was a bit of kludge to get everything working, but I managed to use the stock amp and speakers. I recently sold the truck and pulled everything out so I could make you a deal on the parts if you're interested. I even had the steering wheel controls working.

I have 2015 Chevy 2500HD now and have been looking in to CarPlay. For what I see, it's just easier to use an iPad (full size or mini) with a MiFi or other mobile hot spot or a cell phone with a good mount and decent data plan. CarPlay is nice, but it also locks out a bunch of the features of the phone for "safety". In the end I put the default head unit back in before I sold the truck and I had a USA-SPEC BT35-TOY but the sound quality was horrible; I've been told (but I haven't heard) that the BT45-TOY is much better.

The thing with CarPlay, if you leave your little iPhone at home, you have nothing. No radio tuner, nothing.

A 12 wont have enough airspace in that truck.

I sell Alpine and Sony mobile in my shop. Alpines line is very strong this year, and they even have the restyle kit for Tundras now. I've sold kenwood and clarion in the past, and we've knocked it down to alpine and Sony because they work the best. Alpines Bluetooth is almost flawless. Connects quick and streams great. They sound a lot better than pioneer too, I've never been a fan of pioneer. Touch icons are tiny, hard to operate, and poor sound quality.

For speakers, it depends on what you listen to and what you want in terms of loudness or sound quality. We stock the complete focal line and the flax components are unreal. Not the most expensive in their line, but sound natural.

Tons of options out there, and a lot better options than JL Audio.

The thing with CarPlay, if you leave your little iPhone at home, you have nothing. No radio tuner, nothing.

I sell Alpine and Sony mobile in my shop. Alpines line is very strong this year, and they even have the restyle kit for Tundras now. I've sold kenwood and clarion in the past, and we've knocked it down to alpine and Sony because they work the best. Alpines Bluetooth is almost flawless. Connects quick and streams great. They sound a lot better than pioneer too, I've never been a fan of pioneer. Touch icons are tiny, hard to operate, and poor sound quality.

For speakers, it depends on what you listen to and what you want in terms of loudness or sound quality. We stock the complete focal line and the flax components are unreal. Not the most expensive in their line, but sound natural.

did you mean better than jl audio or JBL?

ahopkins22LSV

Yeah, I'm pulling out all the JBL stuff. I hadn't thought of going components. There are tweeters in the doors up by the windows that I could replace.

If you have a place already to put the tweeters I wouldn't even think twice about it imo.

I am not sure if Tacotunes.com carries a complete set up for the Gen 1 Tundra, but I have been more than happy with the complete kit for my 2010 Tundra. I replaced the stock speakers in the doors and dash with components, the rear doors I went with coaxials, and I have a 12" sub in a ported box. All that is running off an Exile Javelin amp and it sounds great!

In the 06 Tundra I have before I upgraded, I had the JBL system with a stealth box in the center console and it helped the sound of the stock system a lot. I think it was a 10" sub, it even left an inch or two for me to be able to keep some small items sitting on top of the sub box along with the smaller lid area on the center console.

I have an AVH-4000NEX. Hardly ever use CarPlay. Much easier to stream music via BT and use Google Maps which voices over the music.

To me, the killer app is Pioneer's "network mode" audio that gives a decent active DSP without the hassles of a Helix or Bitone DSP. It's available on their DVD lineup.

What is the budget?

I'd really like to stay under a grand

Personally, I've always liked Alpine. I currently have a single din, but have always been impressed with their source units.

Re: sub. I'd just to a 12" and call it a day. You can always dial it down, but having an underwhelming bass after you install everything is a sucky feeling. You likely won't save much by going smaller either. Just my .02.

There isn't enough room for a 12

I owned an '06 Tundra Limited double cab and I pulled the head unit and put an iPad mini it it's place; it was a bit of kludge to get everything working, but I managed to use the stock amp and speakers. I recently sold the truck and pulled everything out so I could make you a deal on the parts if you're interested. I even had the steering wheel controls working.

I have 2015 Chevy 2500HD now and have been looking in to CarPlay. For what I see, it's just easier to use an iPad (full size or mini) with a MiFi or other mobile hot spot or a cell phone with a good mount and decent data plan. CarPlay is nice, but it also locks out a bunch of the features of the phone for "safety". In the end I put the default head unit back in before I sold the truck and I had a USA-SPEC BT35-TOY but the sound quality was horrible; I've been told (but I haven't heard) that the BT45-TOY is much better.

I will be PM'ing you! I have a friend who has an Android tablet in the dash of his Titan and its pretty cool.

Awesome info

I am not sure if Tacotunes.com carries a complete set up for the Gen 1 Tundra, but I have been more than happy with the complete kit for my 2010 Tundra. I replaced the stock speakers in the doors and dash with components, the rear doors I went with coaxials, and I have a 12" sub in a ported box. All that is running off an Exile Javelin amp and it sounds great!

In the 06 Tundra I have before I upgraded, I had the JBL system with a stealth box in the center console and it helped the sound of the stock system a lot. I think it was a 10" sub, it even left an inch or two for me to be able to keep some small items sitting on top of the sub box along with the smaller lid area on the center console.

Shoot, looks like they don't do anything for the GEN 1

That's not correct at all...actually 100% incorrect to the point you are obviously trying to make an Alpine sale. Even the lowest end Nex unit, the 4100, has CD/DVD input, radio tuner, Bluethhoth and will play USB stuff, all with your iPhone sitting at home. Maybe that's true with the Alpine stuff you sell vs the Pioneer stuff you don't (I'm guessing this is why you don't like Pioneer, JL, etc. though you will never admit it).

Even Pioneer's cheapest CarPlay unit, the AppRadio 4, still will do Bluetooth, radio tuner, USB input all for ~$400.

Like I said, I don't like pioneer, haven't in the whole 25 years I've been in this industry. When the said that above, it's about the alpine CarPlay.

And no, I'm not trying to make an alpine sale. Not a vendor here and have a dealer agreement that says I don't ship.

Like I said, I don't like pioneer, haven't in the whole 25 years I've been in this industry. When the said that above, it's about the alpine CarPlay.

And no, I'm not trying to make an alpine sale. Not a vendor here and have a dealer agreement that says I don't ship.

Jony,

Minor thread jack, but maybe not since OP is also looking for 6.5's...

I have a 2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited. I've already replaced the head unit and installed a backup camera. Now I'm looking to install a 5 channel amp, 6.5's in the front and 6.5's in the rear (sound bar) and a 12 in the rear cargo area.

On the 6.5's my setup is the same as the OP's in that it can accommodate components up front (the Jeep has little tweeter pods up on the dash) but requires coaxials in the sound bar (Jeep didn't put components in the sound bar until 2015).

I'm looking at the Alpine SPR-60c for the front and Alpine SPR-60 for the rears. Thoughts on that choice? Is it worth the extra $ to get the SPR's over the SPS series? Any other 6.5's you recommend? Would it be foolish to just do coax in the front too?

I'm thinking of using an Exile Javelin for the 5 channel amp and an Exile Xi12d for the sub, but I'm open to recommendations here too. Honestly, I was just gonna do the entire deal in Exile but they don't have componants.

We've done several of those, and there's a photo album on our Facebook page showing pics. We cut the oem sub box in the rear corner and rebuilt it to hold a Focal 27kx. Used oem bolts to hold it in, black carpet to match the oem interior.

Do components in the front. Having the tweeters in the stock location brings the stage up to the dash.

Type R vs type S: do the type r if you have the budget. BUT there are other factors. What kInd of music do you listen to? The Alpines have something missing if you listen to anything more diverse than rap. They sound great and play loud, but not very accurate. For those that listen to different types, we recomend the focal access, or focal performance. The flax line is the next step up and I absolutely love how they sound. Very flat, and very accurate. The KR series and s great too and that's what we did in the last wrangler, but components are upwards f $1000.

We use arc audio, gladen, mosconi, and alpine amps. All have a small footprint and are powerful for they're price point.

We've done several of those, and there's a photo album on our Facebook page showing pics. We cut the oem sub box in the rear corner and rebuilt it to hold a Focal 27kx. Used oem bolts to hold it in, black carpet to match the oem interior.

Do components in the front. Having the tweeters in the stock location brings the stage up to the dash.

Type R vs type S: do the type r if you have the budget. BUT there are other factors. What kInd of music do you listen to? The Alpines have something missing if you listen to anything more diverse than rap. They sound great and play loud, but not very accurate. For those that listen to different types, we recomend the focal access, or focal performance. The flax line is the next step up and I absolutely love how they sound. Very flat, and very accurate. The KR series and s great too and that's what we did in the last wrangler, but components are upwards f $1000.

We use arc audio, gladen, mosconi, and alpine amps. All have a small footprint and are powerful for they're price point.

Thanks, Jony.

The Jeep is my daughter's so I'm not looking to break the bank. I'll look at the prices of some of those other 6.5's you recommended. And She listens to "pop" music through her iPhone or sat radio.

Oh, and this Jeep doesn't have a factory sub, so I'm just gonna run a box back there.

I can't speak to your truck specifically but if the drivers aren't blown, offensive in their sound characteristics or a funky impedance like Bose BS, I'd look at keeping the existing drivers. That frees up the budget a bit for other important items. You could do a Sony HU and use their RBE to send just bass to the rear doors. Basically the rear doors become little subwoofers. Sounds goofy but it works. My preferred method is to use a Pioneer DVD HU with Network Mode and set up a front soundstage active system.

That's what I did for my 328. Replaced the H & K tweeters which were truly offensive. I kept the existing 4" door mids and 8" under seat midbass but they're band passed so they get only the information they can handle well. I added a 12" sub for the bass extension. Rear drivers are left for dead. This allowed me to time align, crossover and adjust each driver's relative volume.

Do you often have people or kids in the back? One of my favorite systems had an 8" Solobaric in a small box sitting in the left rear footwell.