Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Prop and rudder damage

saburkhart

The other day, when I was pulling the boat out for the winter, I ran into a problem. It appears that while backing up the rudder turned too far. Then when I put the boat in forward I heard the dreaded noise. I know the prop will need to be repaired but I don't know about the rudder. What do you all think??

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d130/steveburkhart/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsarbtqx8l.jpeg

In my case it was probably my fault. I replaced the steering cable last year and probably missed something. I think there are stops to prevent this but since my new cable the stops were much softer. I was reversing but only slowly. I guess reverse plus poorly installed cable equals repair bill.

ahopkins22LSV

This is the 3rd or 4th time I've read of this here...how is this possible? Aren't the rudder shafts keyed? Missing key?

I have the same question. I back up all the time with the wheel cranked all the way over. Very curious on this that is for sure.

But I also agree. Rudder will probably be fine and the prop looks like it can easily be prepared.

All I can say is normally when you turn all the way one direction you normally can feel when you hit the limit and it no longer turns. After changing the steering cable that limit was "spongier". I could feel the limit but sometimes would feel stuck at the limit for an instant. Wasn't very often and didn't cause any problems so I just hadn't got around to investigating. I still haven't looked at the mechanics of the limits yet. I don't know if it is adjustable or if the new cable is slightly different in length or what. I doubt I get to it until February or so. I'll post what I find but probably someone here already knows more about it than me

My wife did the same thing to ours the first time I left her on the water while I went to get the trailer. I originally thought she got too shallow but upon further inspection the corner of the rudder was shined up. She said she turned it to far and goosed the throttle maybe even put it in reverse I don't know for sure. I'm still working with her on just bumping it in and out of gear to get a little movement and not panic throttling. Baby steps.

• 7 months later...

Loaned my 06' 23LSV to a buddy over the 4th week. 

The same thing happend, as the story goes he was backing off the trailer and it happened. Then at the end of the trip (one week) it happened again when his wife was backing up.

I had the cable replaced about 4 years or 75 hours or so. I have had it out a lot with zero issue.

I was able to push the rudder one way and with some light resistance, it will pass 90 deg and keep going to the prop. I watched the linkage move as the wheel was turned lock to lock. The only way the rudder will go more is to push it past center (where the cable meets the arm) 

I had the rudder replaced about 3 years ago (must have been a little bent when I bought it) and I didn't notice. So that is all pretty new too.

So am I to assume they may have had the wheel all the way and bumped it in reverse to pull off the trailer and this is a normal "flaw" in Malibu's design? 

My prop is beyond junk, he has already ordered me a new one.

Any help would be appreciated as a trip to the doc ain't cheap, especially if not necessary.

Thanks

5 minutes ago, CalimaliBoo said:

So am I to assume they may have had the wheel all the way and bumped it in reverse to pull off the trailer and this is a normal "flaw" in Malibu's design? 

Flaw in pretty much any inboard design since they all use the same rudder hardware