Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Movin' on up... New to the Malibu Crew

NMMalibuFamily

My family of 5 is movin' on up from a 2006 Bayliner 205 to a 2009 Malibu 23 LSV. We are really looking forward to next summer to play with the new boat! Looking for good suggestions on how to convert from an inboard/outboard boat with limited features to a wake making machine! Our family is young, but we are enjoying doing it all - skiing, wakeboarding, kneeboarding, tubing and new to us is wakesurfing and wake skating (new gear is on its way). What are some good tips for us to consider while we learn the ropes of this finely tuned machine?

First off.......Congratulations!!! You're going to appreciate your new boat more than you can imagine right now.

Do some searching on here. JB Foot has a great post on how to properly operate your inboard and there are many other posts here that you will find helpful and entertaining as IXFE said.

Ohhhh.......2 more things......

1. Pictures are required.

2. Hold on to your wallet.....we like spending other people's money!

• Like 2

Congrats & welcome to the crew! Awesome boat and what a huge difference it will make!

Probably one of the first things you'll notice is the handling difference especially with docking. Make sure you feel comfortable maneuvering at low speeds before you try docking.

I'd also be extra sensitive with the prop/ shallow water.... breaking a propeller with an I/O and inboard are two completely different things.

• Like 3

Welcome!

Maybe one of the first things to be aware of is that you can't steer your new boat in reverse. The stern kind of creeps toward the right only. It will be markedly different (deficient) from your old boat in that regard. Practice with it in some open water. Once you're aware of the limitation and how to utilise it you will be fine.

Nevertheless, you're gunna love the boat!

Edited by GreenMan
  • Like 3

Congratulations, we went from a bayliner 195 to our vtx. As others have said, backing and low speed maneuverability are the big differences. Be careful around the dock and trailer. Practice on and off the trailer on a calm day when the ramp isn't busy.

Also make sure to get a spare prop and the tools to change it. Having to buy one local in a hurry gets expensive.

Edited by oldjeep
  • Like 2

All great suggestions, thank you! I appreciate the guidance on docking and trailering. Couple questions.. How do I post pics in the thread? Can I get some thoughts on the stock ballasts? Are they just trial and error on getting the wake configured like one wants or is there some absolutely required settings to keep in mind? Oh, and last question, how can I have other people spend their money on our boat?

You will love the boat, but as others have said, handling around the docks is a whole different ballgame given you can't swing the prop side to side in reverse like you could with your I/O. A couple tips for the transition....

First, know that reverse is basically a brake. You'll get the feel for how to pull the stern to the right around a dock, but it takes a little time. I found having a boat hook with me while learning was helpful. It allows you to get close to the dock then grab it. Bigger margin of error. You'll get to where you don't need the hook eventually, but it's cheap and good to have in the beginning.

Second, and most important, is to understand that damage to your boat will increase exponentially with speed. Take it slow, slow, slow around docks and when loading on the trailer. You can feather the transmission in and out of gear without messing it up.

• Like 1

Congratulations!!! Pictures are a requirement. Pics or it didn't happen!! (you will hear this alot)

+1 on above. When I went from I/O to DD I learned:

- Backing up I have no steering and it's more difficult to maneuver at slow speeds. I go slow and "feather" the throttle at slow speeds. That means when in slow speed I coast and then engage the drive momentarily just to steer. I find that this allows for both slow speed and the ability to steer. Use reverse for brake only.

- Be more aware of the depth or items floating in the water. An I/O inherently has an advantage in that you can trim up, and when you hit anything it will strike the lower unit first and sometimes avoid hitting the prop. Not so with a VD or DD.

- Definitely get a spare prop, puller, replacement nuts/pins. A damaged prop will happen eventually and planning ahead is critical. Don't try to replace in deep water (I don't have personal experience but my brother has lost 2 props trying to replace while in deep water)

- Get a spare impeller and keep it in the boat.

- This forum is awesome!!

Enjoy the heck out of the boat!! We spent countless hours when my kids were young boating with the entire family. There is no better way to spend time with your family than to be hanging out on a boat all day!!

Did I mention...Pics or it didn't happen?

• Like 3

Now that sounds like my type of family!

I will second the notion that keeping up on this forum is a must. Lots of people with years of inboard experience to learn from.

This brings me to a point slightly off topic, slightly not. We should put together a list of links to threads that could really help the people new to inboards. Discussions like:

Anchoring

Backing up

Picking up a rider

Etiquette!

maintenance

etc. etc.

We could create a thread with all the links so that they are in one thread and then direct the new person to that thread........just a thought.

• Like 3

If you are not a paid member then you need to host them in photobucket or something like that and then use their image code to post the picture here.

I feel completely ignorant with this site! I cannot even find the different subscription options or how to post appropriately to the threads! I'm using an iPad and that may be part of the issue, but maybe not!

This brings me to a point slightly off topic, slightly not. We should put together a list of links to threads that could really help the people new to inboards. Discussions like:

Anchoring

Backing up

Picking up a rider

Etiquette!

maintenance

etc. etc.

We could create a thread with all the links so that they are in one thread and then direct the new person to that thread........just a thought.

I've had an I/O for 15 years and would welcome a thread of this sort, since we just purchased an Inboard for the first time.

• Like 1

I've had an I/O for 15 years and would welcome a thread of this sort, since we just purchased an Inboard for the first time.

For surfing, Sell your 550 PNP bags and order the custom 820 wake makers bags, or the custom fly high bags.
The LSV likes bow weight.Pick up a bow bag 650 or 1000(I run the sumo 650, but considering picking up 400lbs of lead to stash in the bow when we want the bow open) the bow weight will help the boat plane and help you see over the bow. I picked up a 4" seat riser that I swear by.
20150808_070820_zps3xcgy98c.jpg
  • Like 3