Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Idol Surf? Anyone have one of their boards?

That Guy

I bought two this fall but did not get to ride them. I got the skim and twist carbon fiber. They are local to me and I bought direct from the owner. Although it won't be helpful to you, I'll have a full report this spring.

• Like 1

I bought two this fall but did not get to ride them. I got the skim and twist carbon fiber. They are local to me and I bought direct from the owner. Although it won't be helpful to you, I'll have a full report this spring.

Can you speak of the build quality?

Edited by Lance B. Johnson

Can you speak of the build quality?

I have only ridden a few boards so I don't have much to compare them to. They seem a lot higher quality then our ronix koal fish which is very fragile.

He no longer hand makes them locally but has a factory in China that produces them. I believe he travels to the factory on occasion to keep an eye on quality. Check out his blog :

http://www.idolsurf.com/category/idolsurf-blog/

there is a bit more info on manufacturing and all of it seems to line up with the things he said to my wife and I in our conversation when we picked up our boards.

I rode a couple of the older (circa 2013, handmade?) models at polar bear a few years ago and did not think that they were competitive with brigade/doomswell/soulcraft.

But at that price point it doesn't look like they are trying to compete.

That is really cheap for a carbon board. I would have thought outsourcing to China for production savings would only be trumped by the shipping costs to bring them to the US.

I'm interested to hear about the build quality.

Edited by saxton15

I rode a couple of the older (circa 2013, handmade?) models at polar bear a few years ago and did not think that they were competitive with brigade/doomswell/soulcraft.

But at that price point it doesn't look like they are trying to compete.

+1... spend the extra money and get one of the boards shawndoggy mentioned.. You will be very happy in the end that you did... I have spent more money on cheaper boards and would have saved money by spending it up front..

Before you spend, see if you can demo one....

I love my Doomswell and was worth every penny I spent

I have only ridden a few boards so I don't have much to compare them to. They seem a lot higher quality then our ronix koal fish which is very fragile.

He no longer hand makes them locally but has a factory in China that produces them. I believe he travels to the factory on occasion to keep an eye on quality. Check out his blog :http://www.idolsurf.com/category/idolsurf-blog/

there is a bit more info on manufacturing and all of it seems to line up with the things he said to my wife and I in our conversation when we picked up our boards.

That kind of changes the entire appeal of a custom wakesurf board.

• Like 1

That kind of changes the entire appeal of a custom wakesurf board.

The site says they will still do custom boards. Custom board would be nice but my wife and I share boards so a custom board is not worth the cost for us.

That is really cheap for a carbon board. I would have thought outsourcing to China for production savings would only be trumped by the shipping costs to bring them to the US.

I'm interested to hear about the build quality.

This is "free trade" at work...

• 2 weeks later...

We owned a 2014 Tonka Kahuna bamboo for one season and really liked the board alot. My son rode it for a summer season after Surfest when he was 13 and weighed 160-180 (talk about growing boy). that was his go-to board for surf (rode a Prop by Phase5 for skim). Lots of drive, good bouyancy and yes made in China but we had no issues and Alex is real good to work with. We know Alex and have good results. Jake outgrew the board (now 235 and 6 feet) and we sold it locally. Its good strong surf style board that carves pretty well.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got the chance to ride my board day for the first time . It's fast . Usually ride the TC Skim Liquid Force . Had the small fin in . Also surfed behind the M235 nice wave

• 5 weeks later...