Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Holy Black Friday Sale

jsmail

If anyone has been close to pulling the trigger on any Wet Sounds items, I just saved $635 through Sonic Electonix because of their Black Friday sale. I wasn't planning on purchasing them until after Christmas, but I couldn't pass up saving that much money.

I ordered the following:

2-pairs XS-808-S

2-pairs XS-650-S

WS 420 SQ

WS SD4

Sonic Electronics is a CROOKED company! I dealt with them years ago on some JL Audio amps for a customer. Amp came in dead, took six weeks to get it back - re-serializing was part of the process.

Then bought something else through they're website, it was out of stock, took 8 weeks to get my money back!

They're typical online scum!

You guys are blinded by a Black Friday sale, I sell out of my store for these prices everyday, and most other DEALERS will too. Don't buy stuff off the internet if you don't have to. I PROMISE you, if there's a problem, you'll be disappointed in these pricks.

I don't care if you haven't had a problem with them, because I'm sure someone will chime in on that - fact is, if there is a problem, you won't be happy!

• Like 4

+1 on Sonic Electronics sucking. Buy direct, local, or from Earmark. All of those are reputable. I tried to order from Sonic one time and it was a mess. Backordered and it took forever to get a refund. Terrible communication...lots of bad reviews if you search.

• Like 1

And that search won't take long about they're horrible service. To think they scrape serial numbers - or whatever the process is, fact is they remove serial numbers because they have an unethical way of doing business and selling things they're not authorized to sell.

I'm disappointed that Wet Sounds would allow them to sell they're product with them being such a crap company. They do have a dealer agreement with WS just like every other dealer though, the cut in price from them this weekend is only because Wet Sounds is running 20% off.

• Like 1

That sucks that you had a bad experience, but I have ordered several different items over the last two years and never had a problem. Mainly items that my local dealer doesn't carry, (JL Audio & Rockford Fosgate) but the order is still being processed so I'll check with my local dealer to see if he can get close to the pricing.

+1 on Sonic Electronics sucking. Buy direct, local, or from Earmark. All of those are reputable. I tried to order from Sonic one time and it was a mess. Backordered and it took forever to get a refund. Terrible communication...lots of bad reviews if you search.

+100 on Sonic being a scam...had the same problem, item back ordered, but was charged...took months to get my credit.

ANd unless they have changed, they are not a JL Audio Authorized dealer. SO if there is a problem, you have to send the amp back to Sonic, not JL, and that could take year(s) to get resolved.

True, Sonic is not, nor has ever been, a JL Audio dealer in any capacity. To protect their gray market sources, unauthorized dealers will go to great lengths to deface or replace factory serial numbers....even going as far as cutting the spider away from the basket on a woofer to remove the concealed serial number and then gluing it back with some BS glue. Who would want that product, modified and with no factory warranty.

I am also shocked that Wetsounds would set up a dealer like Sonic.

Check in with your local dealer to see if they will match Sonic's price. If not, I would bet that Earmark will, and give you the marine-specific technical support.

• Like 2

True, Sonic is not, nor has ever been, a JL Audio dealer in any capacity. To protect their gray market sources, unauthorized dealers will go to great lengths to deface or replace factory serial numbers....even going as far as cutting the spider away from the basket on a woofer to remove the concealed serial number and then gluing it back with some BS glue. Who would want that product, modified and with no factory warranty.

I am also shocked that Wetsounds would set up a dealer like Sonic.

Check in with your local dealer to see if they will match Sonic's price. If not, I would bet that Earmark will, and give you the marine-specific technical support.

Thanks David, so where does Sonic get the jl components from? Do they not get them from JL Audio?

Not sure if urban myth, but was told the a large shipment(s) of JL Audio amps and speakers were stolen, and folks like Sonic got ahold of them to sell on line?? sounds crazy, but why else would they remove factory serial numbers?

WGG,

No, JL Audio does not sell to Sonic.

There are a number of methods to obtain limited distribution goods for which a reseller is not be a dealer.

Mostly it is through a fluid network of gray market dealers who flip the product for a few points and weeks before their bill is due.

These resellers may look substantial via their internet presence but are often a bare bones operation giving nothing away to overhead. And they stock very little of the product they show.

In some cases, dealers are around long enough to establish a credit standing and after a substantial order disappear leaving the manufacturer holding the bag. So a fraction of this product was never paid for. Those minimal points may have been 100% margin. Simultaneously while several other family members are establishing credit in new locations. Over the past few decades the dealer landscape has changed. It's a big international community so it is hard to police. And manufacturers need business. Every local rep is looking to grow his commissions and oftentimes takes the low hanging fruit rather than the hard work is takes to legitimately cultivate business the right way. This is just the tip of the iceberg of many, many varying schemes and how it occurs.

The unauthorized dealer also uses the more respected brand name products as a draw to switch consumers over to other products. So merely advertising the product has benefits for them.

• Like 1

Funny, I've dealt with Sonic a number of times. Items arrive quickly with no issues. I intend to do future business with them, regardless of what the stereo shops want me to do. If they have what I want for the best price they will continue to get my business.

In order to get the best deals I placed orders with exile, sonic electronix, overtons and crutchfield yesterday...all for stereo equipment. Hope they all arrive soon!

It frustrates me to see people would buy from hackjob places like these. You'd rather save $10 then to create a relationship with a dealer or installer. That relationship will save you more money than you'll ever realize.

Another thing about dealers - when people buy equipment from my store, I'm there to do the install, or help with the install. I provide free tech support after they're gone, they got a deal on the install parts, and I'm still here if the part defects. Most of the time the part is swapped out over the counter, or repaired/returned in less than 2 weeks.

I've spent countless times on the lake helping or fixing stereo issues. I"ve driven to the lake on holiday's to swap faulty equipment or broken installs.

If you're local dealer doesn't function this way, they don't deserve to be in business. Car audio is dead because there's no loyalty anymore. Consumers would rather buy from a cut throat business that's more crooked then the president and politicians.

The money I make (and it's not much) in this industry feeds my kid and puts clothes on his back. It may one day help fund his education. It pays for the things I buy at other local businesses.

Where's the money that Sonic Hacktronix makes go? Probably to India.

But hey, it's all about saving $10, right?

It frustrates me to see people would buy from hackjob places like these. You'd rather save $10 then to create a relationship with a dealer or installer. That relationship will save you more money than you'll ever realize.

Another thing about dealers - when people buy equipment from my store, I'm there to do the install, or help with the install. I provide free tech support after they're gone, they got a deal on the install parts, and I'm still here if the part defects. Most of the time the part is swapped out over the counter, or repaired/returned in less than 2 weeks.

I've spent countless times on the lake helping or fixing stereo issues. I"ve driven to the lake on holiday's to swap faulty equipment or broken installs.

If you're local dealer doesn't function this way, they don't deserve to be in business. Car audio is dead because there's no loyalty anymore. Consumers would rather buy from a cut throat business that's more crooked then the president and politicians.

The money I make (and it's not much) in this industry feeds my kid and puts clothes on his back. It may one day help fund his education. It pays for the things I buy at other local businesses.

Where's the money that Sonic Hacktronix makes go? Probably to India.

But hey, it's all about saving $10, right?

If all audio shops were like you consumers wouldn't buy online.

Come on, man. You don't honestly think what you describe is normal, do you?

Do you realize how rare that is? How hard it would be for even the the most well meaning consumer to find it? How many shops and nightmares and money spent he'd have to go through to find a shop like yours? It's daunting for guys like us.

So many horror stories I could tell you about shoddy work done by local shops. Is rather do it myself than deal with one more hack job.

Thing of it is buying online many times IS buying from a local dealer. After all these places are local to someone, somewhere. Example, one local start up company (bike tires direct) started as a small internet business with a tiny retail area in Portland. Now they have full bike shops and a HUGE worldwide online business......and they also sponsor my bike team. They are the very definition of local to me and to most of the world they seem like just another huge online dealer.

I am not defending Sonic by any means. Sounds like they aren't reputable. However I will say that just because your buying online, doesn't mean your not buying local.

Edited by Lance B. Johnson

Wow, these guys are written up on RipOffReport, SiteJabber, ComplaintsBoard & every audio gear forum I can find. Thanks for the heads up. I will be looking elsewhere.

• Like 4

I would have gladly hooked up any Crew member with a deal as good or better than Sonic and I support my customers after the sale. And I have it in stock ready to ship.

Odin

Edited by Earmark Marine
  • Like 1

If all audio shops were like you consumers wouldn't buy online.

Come on, man. You don't honestly think what you describe is normal, do you?

Do you realize how rare that is? How hard it would be for even the the most well meaning consumer to find it? How many shops and nightmares and money spent he'd have to go through to find a shop like yours? It's daunting for guys like us.

So many horror stories I could tell you about shoddy work done by local shops. Is rather do it myself than deal with one more hack job.

I clearly see you're point, and that's why I said they shouldn't be in business. My belief is that service is first. Without it there's nothing.

Another point about buying online - had a guy bring in a single sub, enclosure, and amp he'd bought from one of those online whores. The sub was a dual 4 ohm, and the amp was only stable at 4 ohm mono. They'll sell you anything, whether it works together or not.

Edited by jonyb

As others have said service is important, however the difference is usually way more than $10! You can work with your local dealers and sometimes get as good or better than online. The problem is if it is something I am going to install myself, I am looking for the parts. If buying online gets better components for the same $ then I buy online. If prices are similar in buy local. In states like AZ sales tax is almost 10%, orders online typically do not have sales tax. No big deal on $40, but on $3000 it makes a difference.

For what it is worth, I have found out the hard way even reputable places can be difficult. There is a huge difference between buying something on Amazon and buying FROM Amazon. Purchase from Amazon=great support through Amazon = crap shoot

Are folks here unable to do their own research? With so much info available online, and so many resources out there, do you REALLY need "dealer support?"

I just want a place that sells cheap and takes returns on broken products. I don't want a relationship with a vendor - give me my stuff cheap and I will install/tune it with the help/advice I can get free through various forums and research.

The relationship thing was important back when there wasn't a huge resource out there of info. The last 15 years has changed all of that - get with the times, spend a couple hours researching what you need and buy accordingly, without the bias of some dealer advising you to buy whatever line they sell at whatever markup they have on the product.

There are people out there that don't want to, or don't have any business, doing their own installs. Research or not, these online hackjob sales outfits will sell anything, whether it's compatible or not, and a lot of people don't understand what they're buying.

With what you said about dealers that are feeding their family off of a business, I hope that whatever you're career is, it's cut short or sold out to the cheapest Japanese company that relocates it overseas.

Are folks here unable to do their own research? With so much info available online, and so many resources out there, do you REALLY need "dealer support?"I just want a place that sells cheap and takes returns on broken products. I don't want a relationship with a vendor - give me my stuff cheap and I will install/tune it with the help/advice I can get free through various forums and research.The relationship thing was important back when there wasn't a huge resource out there of info. The last 15 years has changed all of that - get with the times, spend a couple hours researching what you need and buy accordingly, without the bias of some dealer advising you to buy whatever line they sell at whatever markup they have on the product.

Because even reputable companies sometimes have defects. Example buying FROM Amazon = easy returns, great support, buying on amazon allows upto 50% restocking fee, major hassle with defective products etc.

If you can establish a decent relationship with a dealer, you can get similar and sometimes better prices than online. AND you keep the money local supporting a small business.