Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2015 Malibu VLX vs. 2016 Axis T22/23

md1046swt

It is just me being cheap and trying to analyze the window stickers too much. Axis buries the cost of the trailer in their MSRP and doesn't show it as an option.

It is just me being cheap and trying to analyze the window stickers too much. Axis buries the cost of the trailer in their MSRP and doesn't show it as an option.

It's cool. I totally get it. Even at 33% off, $78k is a big amount to swallow.

That said, it's a smoking deal on a new VLX. Trust me, not many dudes on this forum are getting 33% off deals. I know a guy who paid $5k more than that for a '14 VTX leftover last fall.

Personally, I'd get the VLX. As others have stated, it will cost you less in the long run. In resale it's a more desirable boat and when it comes time to sell you'll be competing against other guys who paid more for their 15 VLX's (i.e. their cost basis will be higher than yours).

Edited by IXFE

Chattwake never seemed to have any problems selling any of his previous Axis.

I'm not trying to sway you either way. You will enjoy the T22, should you decide to go that route. I was in the same boat - I didn't want to go over 70k mark. I don't feel that I "settled" in any way.

Chattwake never seemed to have any problems selling any of his previous Axis.

I'm not trying to sway you either way. You will enjoy the T22, should you decide to go that route. I was in the same boat - I didn't want to go over 70k mark. I don't feel that I "settled" in any way.

You're misreading my comments. It really has nothing to do with Axis. It has everything to do with buying below market. The VLX in question is below market. If he orders the T22 he's paying at market. It's all about his cost basis. That's all.

Comparing the OP to Chattwake is just silly. You think Chatt was paying at market for those A22's he owned? I think not.

• Like 1

I came out of an A22 and into a 2015 VLX recently. The A22 was a 2011, so it isn't exactly apples to apples. But, my thoughts, FWIW.

The VLX is a much nicer boat than the Axis. Some of that is features, some is fit and finish. Feature wise, I am honestly more of the "simpler is better" mindset. I prefer analog gauges, but now that I'm used to the VLX, it is nice. But all of the little things all add up. The tower is much nicer. Speakers are stacked and in the corner, and I don't have issues bumping my head on them like I used to. The shocks make lowering and raising the tower a whole bunch easier. The bimini is no comparison. The rest of the interior. Fit and finish are much nicer, the seats are a lot more comfortable. Little things like hinged seats, deeper lockers, an actual place for the trashcan. All that stuff adds up. Then you factor in the PW2, and it is huge. So that caveat with all of that is that when I bought my A22, they were more basic relative to the 'Bu than they are, now. I have not been in a newer one, but I understand that they are significantly nicer. So the fit and finish may be superior on the 'Bu, but maybe it isn't by nearly as much as it was. But for the difference, I'd go for the VLX. If it were a $20K difference, it may be different. Does Axis now use the higher flow rate pumps and 1-1/8" hoses? If they do not, that is a HUGE factor. Filling and drianing takes no time compared to how much it took previously.

Other stuff that has been brought up. On resale. I sold my A22 for $500 fewer dollars than I paid for it, though I had added a nice Wetsounds system to it, so I had more than the $500 in it. Point is, I don't see the Axis as having poor resale. However, for me, that would almost not be considered. I didn't plan on selling the Axis, but we ultimately did. I don't plan on moving otu of the VLX any time soon. Since you are coming out of a 1999, I am inclined to guess you would not be one to flp the boat any time soon. If resale *is* a factor, then in my opinion, you may be gambling with the Axis. Not because it would inherently be inferior, but because if history (surfgate) is an indication, the PW2 may be added to Axis in a year or two. If it is, and you'd be inclined to sell the boat soon, then that may hit you pretty hard. That'd favor the VLX. Of course, the lack of a 6.2 in the VLX may make it ultimately lower in resale value. But if you are looking to keep the boat for a while, then look at it like this. If cost weren't an issue, would you want what the VLX has to offer? I would, and it sure would suck to think "man, I wish I would have had that" after a season or so.

On the trailer thing, I'm with you. That is ridiculously high for a trailer. WHen we ordered our Axis, the trailer was included in the base price, but a $1500 credit if you went wihtout it. A 22' tandem axle, removable tongue trailer without any bells and whistles should run about $3000 according to NADA. That seems in line with what I'd expect. I'm more familiar with car trailers, and I'll tell you that for open trailers, $8000 will buy an absolute top of the line, lightweight aluminum, heavy duty axle trailer with a toolbox and electric brakes. I was able to order our VLX without a trailer, which was nice. Especially since I paid over $400 a year to store the trailer for the Axis.

• Like 2

I came out of an A22 and into a 2015 VLX recently. The A22 was a 2011, so it isn't exactly apples to apples. But, my thoughts, FWIW.

The VLX is a much nicer boat than the Axis. Some of that is features, some is fit and finish. Feature wise, I am honestly more of the "simpler is better" mindset. I prefer analog gauges, but now that I'm used to the VLX, it is nice. But all of the little things all add up. The tower is much nicer. Speakers are stacked and in the corner, and I don't have issues bumping my head on them like I used to. The shocks make lowering and raising the tower a whole bunch easier. The bimini is no comparison. The rest of the interior. Fit and finish are much nicer, the seats are a lot more comfortable. Little things like hinged seats, deeper lockers, an actual place for the trashcan. All that stuff adds up. Then you factor in the PW2, and it is huge. So that caveat with all of that is that when I bought my A22, they were more basic relative to the 'Bu than they are, now. I have not been in a newer one, but I understand that they are significantly nicer. So the fit and finish may be superior on the 'Bu, but maybe it isn't by nearly as much as it was. But for the difference, I'd go for the VLX. If it were a $20K difference, it may be different. Does Axis now use the higher flow rate pumps and 1-1/8" hoses? If they do not, that is a HUGE factor. Filling and drianing takes no time compared to how much it took previously.

Other stuff that has been brought up. On resale. I sold my A22 for $500 fewer dollars than I paid for it, though I had added a nice Wetsounds system to it, so I had more than the $500 in it. Point is, I don't see the Axis as having poor resale. However, for me, that would almost not be considered. I didn't plan on selling the Axis, but we ultimately did. I don't plan on moving otu of the VLX any time soon. Since you are coming out of a 1999, I am inclined to guess you would not be one to flp the boat any time soon. If resale *is* a factor, then in my opinion, you may be gambling with the Axis. Not because it would inherently be inferior, but because if history (surfgate) is an indication, the PW2 may be added to Axis in a year or two. If it is, and you'd be inclined to sell the boat soon, then that may hit you pretty hard. That'd favor the VLX. Of course, the lack of a 6.2 in the VLX may make it ultimately lower in resale value. But if you are looking to keep the boat for a while, then look at it like this. If cost weren't an issue, would you want what the VLX has to offer? I would, and it sure would suck to think "man, I wish I would have had that" after a season or so.

On the trailer thing, I'm with you. That is ridiculously high for a trailer. WHen we ordered our Axis, the trailer was included in the base price, but a $1500 credit if you went wihtout it. A 22' tandem axle, removable tongue trailer without any bells and whistles should run about $3000 according to NADA. That seems in line with what I'd expect. I'm more familiar with car trailers, and I'll tell you that for open trailers, $8000 will buy an absolute top of the line, lightweight aluminum, heavy duty axle trailer with a toolbox and electric brakes. I was able to order our VLX without a trailer, which was nice. Especially since I paid over $400 a year to store the trailer for the Axis.

Axis went to the faster pumps and hi-flo lines 3 model years ago.

I searched previous emails from the dealer and he had already sent me the window sticker on one of the VLXs he would sell at $78K. MSRP is $117,352 so that is right at a 33% discount. Are the Malibu trailers made of gold? $7,875 option??? My trailer sits in a field while the boat is on a lift all season.

I also found one of the window stickers on a T22 Liquid Force edition that is about as comparable as you could get with Axis vs. VLX. Need to add Zero Off, but it was $75,732 MSRP and he would sell at $66,600 before the latest rebates were announced.

Leaning more toward the T22 over the VLX due to simplicity and not ever expecting to pay over $75k. I wish I could get the bigger T23, but the boat lives in a Shore-Mate lift that states maximum weight of 4,000 lbs. I have a call in to a dock guy to see what could be done to increase lift weight limit.

Get the VLX and don't look back. Better boat better discount, your already ahead.

Plus The discount you are getting on the AXIS isn't the worlds greatest deal.

Get the VLX and don't look back. Better boat better discount, your already ahead.

Plus The discount you are getting on the AXIS isn't the worlds greatest deal.

This is my point EXACTLY. It's all about the deal. Yet somehow people leap all the way to "But I was able to sell my Axis." LOL

This is my point EXACTLY. It's all about the deal. Yet somehow people leap all the way to "But I was able to sell my Axis." LOL

ok ok ok.... Yes, the Malibu is a much better deal, if you are wanting to go over your budget. :lol:

Seriously though, that VLX deal is smoking. Is it some weird colors or something?

ok ok ok.... Yes, the Malibu is a much better deal, if you are wanting to go over your budget. :lol:

Seriously though, that VLX deal is smoking. Is it some weird colors or something?

Bama, I remember when you bought the '12 LSV somewhat spontaneously because it was a smoking deal. That worked out okay for you, didn't it?

For the record, I loved that boat.

Respect the deal!! ;-)

Edited by IXFE

Bama, I remember when you bought the '12 LSV somewhat spontaneously because it was a smoking deal. That worked out okay for you, didn't it?

For the record, I loved that boat.

Respect the deal!! ;-)

You are correct. I miss that boat. It was awesome. My wife hated the colors, but thought the driftwood and black was pretty classic.

FWIW, all 16's will have the cost in the MSRP since it is a Malibu trailer.

Ahop- I gotta ask.

It seems that lately you have been really in tune with the new boat market. I have noticed this though various threads...is there something we should know? :whistle:

Edited by Lance B. Johnson
ahopkins22LSV

Ahop- I gotta ask.

It seems that lately you have been really in tune with the new boat market. I have noticed this though various threads...is there something we should know? :whistle:

HAHA! Yes, there is.

I dream of buying a new boat every year only to have the dream smashed by reality of still wanting to own a house and some other stuff. :biggrin:

Edited by ahopkinsTXi
  • Like 2