Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2015 Malibu VLX vs. 2016 Axis T22/23

md1046swt

Long story short is we have been looking at the T22/23 for a few months and about ready to pull the trigger on a custom build that would be delivered (and paid for) in April 2016. The T23 build MSRP is above $80K and dealer is only willing to come down to $71K. I didn't push back too hard, but I could probably get him under $70K.

He emailed today and let me know Malibu is pushing down rebates on the 2015 22 VLXs they have remaining and he could sell me any of the 8-10 they had under $79K. I would have to do the deal before December 10. I don't know if he is trying to play typical salesman drama, but I feel like the VLX is a great deal.

We are upgrading from a 1999 SSVLX and either boat will have more features than we are used to. I like the simplicity of the Axis versus all the technology in the VLX and prefer the WS audio setup. Am I crazy to pass up the 2015 VLX for an Axis?

For roughly the same cost, yes the malibu is definitely a better way to go. There is something to be said for custom ordering YOUR boat. You get exactly what you want.

With that said the 22VLX has a couple of advantages. PW2 is huge improvement over PW1 and even bigger improvement over standard wedge. The 2015 malibu dash is amazing. The other plus is come resale time you will be in a much better position with the malibu vs axis.

Just my $.02

• Like 2

There are some real rebates available right now. I'm not sure when they expire, but I'm guessing those are why they are willing to go that low on the vlx's the have (plus they are leftovers). I think the malibu rebate on 15 vlx was around 4k, but I deleted the email from my dealer that listed all the current rebates...

Tough decision. I think I'd jump in the VLX, assuming you like one of the 8 tour dealer has to offer.

If he's really sitting on that many leftovers I might push him to close the gap a bit. Act like that extra $8k is killing you. Haha.

If it was me, and it was, I would go with the VLX and not look back. We were looking at a custom order T22 and then the dealer threw a 2015 LSV, with the LS3, in the mix. We ended up paying about 12K more for the LSV vs. a custom T22, the T23 would've been even closer in price. The VLX has some options that are REALLY nice. The PW2 is super sweet and the dash is extremely easy to use.

He actually has 9 and 4 are demos. I am not above taking a demo if it is considerably less.

We took a T23 on demo last weekend and liked the space. The VLX won't be as big as the T23, but should be fine for our crew. We max out at 6 adults and 7 kids a few times a year.

Is there much difference in the wake and surf wave between the T23 and VLX?

For me, I chose the T22. Resell will be good on either one. Dealers in my area can't get enough Axis to sell...new or used.

Both perform very well and both Axis and Malibu have the same vinyl for 2015. The 2015 vlx will have the same vinyl as the 2016 Axis. Both have the same trailers made by malibu. My 2015 has boatmate...which I love.

I love the screen in the Malibu, but like all electronics.. it will become obsolete. PW2 is nice on the Malibu. We don't typically use the wedge (as I've heard others say the same thing) so that was really not a big deal for us. I don't usually spend thousands of dollars on aftermarket stereos so I think the stereo option in the Axis is better than the Rockford stereo in the Malibu. I also have the transom remote, which is awesome. Both have Bluetooth...Axis was really easy to operate. I love not having the side window on the Axis...makes it super easy to grab the doc or talk to someone in the water. I prefer it over the Malibu full side window.

Axis has PCM, which is a plus for me.

For my family and our checklist of must haves vs options vs price, I was able to get a very well loaded T22 with z5 cargo much cheaper than a VLX.​

You just need to look at what features are important to you and your price.

Edited by bamabonners

For me, I chose the T22. Resell will be good on either one. Dealers in my area can't get enough Axis to sell...new or used.

Both perform very well and both Axis and Malibu have the same vinyl for 2015. The 2015 vlx will have the same vinyl as the 2016 Axis. Both have the same trailers made by malibu. My 2015 has boatmate...which I love.

I love the screen in the Malibu, but like all electronics.. it will become obsolete. PW2 is nice on the Malibu. We don't typically use the wedge (as I've heard others say the same thing) so that was really not a big deal for us. I don't usually spend thousands of dollars on aftermarket stereos so I think the stereo option in the Axis is better than the Rockford stereo in the Malibu. I also have the transom remote, which is awesome. Both have Bluetooth...Axis was really easy to operate. I love not having the side window on the Axis...makes it super easy to grab the doc or talk to someone in the water. I prefer it over the Malibu full side window.

For my family and our checklist of must haves vs options vs price, I was able to get a very well loaded T22 with z5 cargo much cheaper than a VLX.​

+1 on the PCM. If only the Axis had a little nicer dash...sooooooo much plastic. But other than that I like it.

All that being said, if the difference is truly $8k buy the Malibu.

totally agree regarding the electronics. Its fairly ironic that I feel this way becuase I have worked for start up and large tech companies for the last 14 years. All electronics become obsolete so fast and they also stop working after a few years. The simplicity and performance of the Axis keeps me coming back to the brand.

Edited by elc

The problem with the non power wedge is it is all or nothing. With PW you have several stages. Most of us use the middle of the range. Full wedge is too much and minimum doesn't do much. Also do not discount the benefits of the lift function. Also imo, PCM would not be an advantage over indmar GM which the '15's have
  • Like 1

I will take the VLX just because of the resale value and power wedge.

I had the standard wedge on my 2012 Vride and then had the PW1 on my 2014 VLX, and man there's no discussion between both. As darkside mentioned I was finally not using the wedge with the vride because it was impossible to calibrated.

I will not do it anymore and that will definitely push me on Malibu if I were you

I searched previous emails from the dealer and he had already sent me the window sticker on one of the VLXs he would sell at $78K. MSRP is $117,352 so that is right at a 33% discount. Are the Malibu trailers made of gold? $7,875 option??? My trailer sits in a field while the boat is on a lift all season.

I also found one of the window stickers on a T22 Liquid Force edition that is about as comparable as you could get with Axis vs. VLX. Need to add Zero Off, but it was $75,732 MSRP and he would sell at $66,600 before the latest rebates were announced.

Leaning more toward the T22 over the VLX due to simplicity and not ever expecting to pay over $75k. I wish I could get the bigger T23, but the boat lives in a Shore-Mate lift that states maximum weight of 4,000 lbs. I have a call in to a dock guy to see what could be done to increase lift weight limit.

I searched previous emails from the dealer and he had already sent me the window sticker on one of the VLXs he would sell at $78K. MSRP is $117,352 so that is right at a 33% discount. Are the Malibu trailers made of gold? $7,875 option??? My trailer sits in a field while the boat is on a lift all season.

I also found one of the window stickers on a T22 Liquid Force edition that is about as comparable as you could get with Axis vs. VLX. Need to add Zero Off, but it was $75,732 MSRP and he would sell at $66,600 before the latest rebates were announced.

Leaning more toward the T22 over the VLX due to simplicity and not ever expecting to pay over $75k. I wish I could get the bigger T23, but the boat lives in a Shore-Mate lift that states maximum weight of 4,000 lbs. I have a call in to a dock guy to see what could be done to increase lift weight limit.

$7,875 may be full MSRP on the trailer, but you're not paying MSRP, are ya now? At your 33% discount it's more like a $5k trailer.

$7,875 may be full MSRP on the trailer, but you're not paying MSRP, are ya now? At your 33% discount it's more like a $5k trailer.

A $5k trailer better be pretty fancy...

A $5k trailer better be pretty fancy...

Fully boxes and welded 22' trailer with LED lights, side lighting, boat buckles, four alloy wheels and tires, four disc brakes, etc etc.

How cheap should it be???

Your about to spend $70k on a fiberglass tub and you're complaining about $5k for a trailer? You're funny.

You realize that you're paying that much to put a trailer under the Axis, don't you?

I may be wrong but the I suspwct the rate of depreciation on the Axis will be faster than the Malibu. And if that is true, I think it is, you end up paying more in the long run for the Axis. I vote for the Malibu,