Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

What anchor should I buy?

Michigan boarder

... how to rig up your life jacket diaper style....

Maybe off topic for this thread, but you have me curious. Please start a new thread (with extra credit for plenty of photos).

• Like 4

Maybe off topic for this thread, but you have me curious. Please start a new thread (with extra credit for plenty of photos).

As the OP, I will consider this ON topic.

Life jacket upside down, zipped, put legs thru arm holes. Grab 2 beers and jump in.

I've always used the Danforth style anchors with 4 or 5 feet of chain and usually 3 to 1 (feet of rope to water depth) with a sand spike off the transom. I haven't had any issues with this but I don't anchor in heavy wind or chop either. Usually in a cove where we want to hang out and swim/play. Sounds like I need to try a box anchor now if for no other reason to save space and not have to deal with chain in/around the boat...

• Like 1

As the OP, I will consider this ON topic.

Life jacket upside down, zipped, put legs thru arm holes. Grab 2 beers and jump in.

I usually don't need 2 beers unless I'm going to get very far away from my cooler. But I definitely need my sunglasses & party hat!

41238_429769519092_8266987_n.jpg?oh=c605

Edited by Bill_AirJunky

The extra small Box anchor is great for us with a 21' in relatively calm water. You might want the small for rougher water. They are easy to use, hold like you are nailed to the water, and don't take much space.

The swim diaper has to be the most unflattering look in boating, however it is the most awesome way to float in the lake. My Atlanta cousins showed us this about 15 years ago and it is great!

I usually don't need 2 beers unless I'm going to get very far away from my cooler. But I definitely need my sunglasses & party hat!

41238_429769519092_8266987_n.jpg?oh=c605

You weren't kidding the other day.......you really do drink Keystone :lol:

I am in the box anchor, anchor buddy, sternline, to sandspike category.

I do use two anchors at our cabin as in the afternoon it can be quite windy....(as well as glass every morning and evening :rockon:)

The double anchor is there for two reasons, one because the single bungee cant pull the boat back and two because if the anchor did pull up the result would be horrible. The boat would get blown in to the neighbors wave break and trust me its scary looking.

I appreciate all of the responses. I am going with a box anchor and anchor buddy for the bow, and the sand spike and stern line for the stern. I was tempted to buy two box anchors, glad I didn't!

• Like 3
  • 4 weeks later...

I never bought a box anchor due to the fact that our lake bottoms are mostly rock. I'm talking solid rock not like pea gravel that something can dig into. I usually use a Grapnel type anchor and have to wait for it to grab a rock or tree or whatever else may be down there other than sand. Occasionally we will find mud bottom but not consistently. Who else has these conditions and what you using?

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Grapnel-Folding-Anchor-Galvanized-5-lb./11071227?action=product_interest&action_type=title&item_id=11071227&placement_id=irs-106-t1&strategy=PWVAV&visitor_id&category=&client_guid=f90e60b3-c177-4c23-8be4-78da955889fa&customer_id_enc&config_id=106&parent_item_id=33726729&parent_anchor_item_id=33726729&guid=0e2fbf1e-448b-489d-9e8c-b3ec7f84dafe&bucket_id=irsbucketdefault&beacon_version=1.0.1&findingMethod=p13n

This is my anchor of choice, stores easy too.

No, not really. If you are using it as a regular anchor rope, depending on how deep you anchor, it will stretch and drift. I've had Anchor buddies break the rubber tube inside while retrieving an anchor. The woven nylon outer covering held tight but it didn't shorten itself when out of the water since the bungie didn't work. I don't use them anymore except when anchoring close to shore to pull in for loading or unloading. You can't beat a rope and Box Anchor if it will work on your type of lake bottom. I sure wouldn't use an Anchor Buddy with a Box Anchor. The Box Anchor really sets itself deep in mud or sand. It can be difficult to release if you don't put a lot of line tension on it and turn it over.

If I'm not going to actually use the anchor buddy for pulling the boat back in etc... is it still worth having? Does it provide some other value if you're not using it in that capacity?

About 9/10ths of the time I just use the box anchor with the anchor buddy.... No rope at all. Makes the process easy out, easy in. I've only used the rope if we're tying up to the beach & leaving it overnight.