Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

A20 ski wake

kkaiser37

Hey guys,

First time poster and wondering what the ski wake is like on the A20. Looking for a boat to use for wake boarding and surfing, but still want a decent open water slalom wake. The new 20 VTX would be perfect, but don't really have the funds for that. Also looking at the NXT 20, which I know to have a decent ski wake. I know the only hull available on the Axis is the wake plus so does anyone have any experience with the ski wake between 30 and 36 mph?

Thanks,

Kevin

I didn't get to ski the boat, but I've spent some time on it. The wakesurfing and wakeboard wake are pretty good for a 20' boat. The ski wake looks good at 33mph, and looks even better when we had just the bow sac filled. Sorry no real world riding behind the boat, but the ski wake looked pretty good for a V drive boat

Edited by wakebrdr94

Hey guys,

First time poster and wondering what the ski wake is like on the A20. Looking for a boat to use for wake boarding and surfing, but still want a decent open water slalom wake. The new 20 VTX would be perfect, but don't really have the funds for that. Also looking at the NXT 20, which I know to have a decent ski wake. I know the only hull available on the Axis is the wake plus so does anyone have any experience with the ski wake between 30 and 36 mph?

Thanks,

Kevin

You can most likely get a better price on a VTX then the NXT! Mastercrafts are WAY overpriced!

ahopkins, I can answer that next spring. :) With the tapered hull of the Axis design, I expect the clean wake and smoothness to be the same at those speeds as in prior years.

Peter

• 1 month later...

You can most likely get a better price on a VTX then the NXT! Mastercrafts are WAY overpriced!

Maybe a used VTX vs a NXT. New VTX is 25k more than the NXT. NXT is not far cost wise from a new A20.

Maybe a used VTX vs a NXT. New VTX is 25k more than the NXT. NXT is not far cost wise from a new A20.

NXT's in our area are priced with the VTX, by the time you "nicely eqip" them. It was suppose to compete with the axis line price wise. I saw a 26k difference between the A20 and NXT optioned pretty close to eachother

Edited by wakebrdr94

NXT's in our area are priced with the VTX, by the time you "nicely eqip" them. It was suppose to compete with the axis line price wise. I saw a 26k difference between the A20 and NXT optioned pretty close to eachother

Wow! In MN here the NXT with options was out the door for mid to upper 60s. The new VTX was more like 90+.

• 3 months later...

2014 A20 ski wake is awesome for casual slalom and my wife loves it.  We close all valves before launch and ski 1st, passive filling of front sac did affect wake quality.  Now if you still rip cuts hard like I like to , I don't like the "solid" hard feel to it when , though really small, it launches me on my old honeycomb Jobe about 13 to 16 feet with a hard "whack" landing, my old knees starting feeling that far worse than My landing in the flats on a wakeboard

4 minutes ago, granddaddy55 said:

2014 A20 ski wake is awesome for casual slalom and my wife loves it.  We close all valves before launch and ski 1st, passive filling of front sac did affect wake quality.  Now if you still rip cuts hard like I like to , I don't like the "solid" hard feel to it when , though really small, it launches me on my old honeycomb Jobe about 13 to 16 feet with a hard "whack" landing, my old knees starting feeling that far worse than My landing in the flats on a wakeboard

Well, if you are launching 13-16 feet then chances are good that you are not on edge through the wake if you were you would land on edge or your side not flat. 

I'm landing on edge and still feel it and the reference to flats was a wakeboard , my point to you was its hard like someone mentioned above and on a real hard cut, and I do rip a ski, both sides with a spray in excess of 15 to 18 feet high in rhythm, you will catch a certain number of inches of air and the landing on my old narrow ski is violent

Still think it's s good ski wake with pylon, I just didn't feel that violence on my foamy fish and ski wake I ripped