Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Looking for help/ideas on a system

barefootboy

Page 20 of the manual navigates to the settings. That head unit has 6 preset EQ's and custom EQ.

A 5 or 6 chnl amp is going to be ideal for driving your 4 in-boats and a moderate 12 woofer. Wet Sounds HTX-6, Kicker KXM800.5, Arc Audio XDi850.5 or XDi1100.5, JL M700.5 or M600.6. For something on the upper end of power for both the sub and in-boats, look at the Wet Sounds SD-6 or Arc XDi1200.6. Or, you can always go with a 3 amp setup for even more options.

For the tower speakers, what are your goals? Surfing/party cove, wake range or both?

• Like 1

Thank you for that info! Not very stereo savvy! I have heard the Rev 10's are great? Maybe 8's would be fine? Looks like wet sounds had a single box configuration with 2 speakers. Not sure advantages? I don't need to be the loudest guy on the guy. Just want some decent, quality tunes w/ decent base. We wake and surf and do it all. Thank u!

What boat do you have?

If your head unit is under the throttle arm resti would consider bypassing it and going with a signal EQ.

WS-420 $300

or exile ZLD $300 and adding the Bluetooth dongle$49

Do you want sound projection out of your towers to reach wake boarder / ski'r ?

Rev-8 or Rev-10 or XM-9's HLCD's

Or shorter distance surfing and cruising

SXT9Q ' icon8' or JLm880

I'd make those decisions first then move on to amp and sub

• Like 1

Thanks. Just had no idea of the choices. the REV speakers more for projection rather than boat riders? The ICON more for in and around the boat? What about that Dual series? Advantages/disadvantages? Appreciate all the input

Have an 03 DD wakesetter w/ swoop tower btw. Head is under arm rest

barefoot,

Generally speaking, thats about right. An HLCD is going to give you the most efficient wake range projection and a traditional coaxial is going to yield the best near field sound quality. With the current Rev series from wet sounds, especially the largest 10" Rev-10, the compromise between sound quality and projection has grown very narrow.

If you want the best of both worlds, go with single pair of Rev-10. being the largest HLCD on the market, you will get the most wake rake projection and the best near field sound quality out there in a single package, excluding a pair of Wet Sounds Rev-410.

If your focus leans a little more toward wake range, but you still want good surf sound sound quality, then an 8" HLCD like the Rev-8 is a solid choice. Just note though, if head room clearance is not an issue, you are only talking a couple hundred more to step up to the Rev-10 from the Rev-8

A single pair of 8" coaxial is perfect for a surf specific setup. Along with the Wet Sounds Icon-8 and JL 8.8, consider looking at the Kicker KM8. They have a new 8" pod thats releasing soon that will be available in white and black. the KM8 comes with a white and charcoal grill option and Chrome is now available and RGB LEDs are standard. 2 pair powered to their potential would get you some solid wake range projection like that of an 8" HLCD, but the cost will start to creep up, just a thought.

I dont suggest mixing an HLCD and a coaxial for the purpose of wake range projection and surf SQ. Those 4 pods and proper amp(s) to drive that setup, is going to exceed the cost of a single pair or larger 10" HLCD, which wil give you what you are trying to achieve with a mixed setup.

• Like 3

You can't go wrong with wetsounds for your tower speakers. Make sure you look at what ohms your amp/speakers are rated at and make sure your amps are bigger than the rms on your speakers. You can always turn the amps down. Better to have more power than underpowered as you can ruin your speakers just as easily. Icon 8 by wetsounds is a great speaker for surfing. As MLA said, the rev series is great for projection, but you wont get as much bass out of them, but will project better than the Icons.

I second the suggestion on not mixing coaxial and HLCD.

• Like 1

You can't go wrong with wetsounds for your tower speakers. Make sure you look at what ohms your amp/speakers are rated at and make sure your amps are bigger than the rms on your speakers. You can always turn the amps down. Better to have more power than underpowered as you can ruin your speakers just as easily. Icon 8 by wetsounds is a great speaker for surfing. As MLA said, the rev series is great for projection, but you wont get as much bass out of them, but will project better than the Icons.

I second the suggestion on not mixing coaxial and HLCD.

3rd endorsement. I ran 2 pair rev8s each on a syn4 on my Supra and will do the same on my new 23 LSV. amazing sound at all distances!!! Where are you located? I know a great installer/wetsounds dealer in KY

• Like 1

Thank you for all the great input and taking the time! Had no idea of all the options. I have alot to chew on. One last quest is there any advantage to these ?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DNIPW8Q?keywords=wet%20sounds&qid=1448139614&ref_=sr_1_22&sr=8-22

Wet Sounds Rev series DUAL 10 inch EFG HLCD?

I am near Greensboro, NC. There is a wet sounds dealer fairly close at a place caleed EAR CANDY. Thinking of going to see them

Thats the Rev-410. Its rarely ever run by itself. The logical setup would be a pair of them or a 410 flanked by a pair of Rev-10 for those bar towers with a lot of arch.

Are you on the Charlotte side or the Raleigh side of Greensboro?

• Like 1

Gotcha. I am about 10 miles South of Greensboro. Suggestions?

House is about an hour from Raleigh. Boat is at Badin Lake which is about an hour from Charlotte. Will be getting it soonish and putting in my garage

Edited by barefootboy

A pair of Rev-10 is in the price range of a single Rev-410, but a better setup overall then a single 410. Now, if you wanted the best overall in sound quality and projection, a pair of Rev-410 is as good as it gets,

• Like 1

Ok. I am between the REV 10's and the ICON 8's. I know those are 2 different animals, Leaning toward more sound quality in the boat vs the boarder

I went that path initially and wasn't happy. If you use wetsounds for the in boats (their 650s and 808s are amazing) with a nice sub, you will have a killer system without any tower help. Focus the tower investment on what you want outside the boat, in which case, go rev 8 or rev 10 all the way. My $0.02...

Edited by NCSurfing
  • Like 1

Just to be clear NCSURFING you were NOT happy w/ the ICON's? What you are saying makes good sense. Put some new MTX in for in boats last year. Nothing special. Have not thought about changing all the in boats to WS

Put KICKERS in for inboats not MTX

Edited by barefootboy

Just to be clear NCSURFING you were NOT happy w/ the ICON's? What you are saying makes good sense. Put some new MTX in for in boats last year. Nothing special. Have not thought about changing all the in boats to WS

Put KICKERS in for inboats not MTX

Correct. To get them loud enough to hear behind the boat (which never worked great), the people in the boat said it was too loud. This time around I thought about blending them (as the new came with 2 pair of icon8s and I had 1 pair of rev8s) however, the consensus here was that would not be a good move. So I made the swap on one pair (kept rev8s in favor of icon8s) and the dealer bought back the second pair of icon8s. If you can change your inboats to WS (with a syn4) you will not be disappointed. Then, if you run an EQ so you can control the towers independent of the inboats, you can float the rev8s on lightly and you will have a very rich sounding system inboat and when behind, crank the rev 8s and your 'towee' will be happy!

• Like 2