Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2016 VLX delivered today

Sailvi767

What is the weight of the bag ? And what kind of bags are you using for the rear trunk ?

That is the Fly High 1000 lb. bow triangle. There are smaller versions available by Ronix and Sumo.

My locker bags are the wakemakers custom bags that are advertised as 820ish lbs. but in reality they fill to over 1000 lbs each.

Surfed the boat today. Ran full factory ballast plus 800 PNP's in the rear lockers. I am new to surfing but it appears it needs more bow weight with this setup. Had about 800 lbs in people in the back with no one in the bow. Will try and get some more prop numbers tomorrow.

Great looking boat! I have a VLX and yes you need bow weight if your running PnP in the rear, I run a 600Lb sac up front and fill my rear bags about 3/4 after I found out they are not 824 Lb. but 1000 Lb. full, Makes all the difference, I think my Prop is a 2419?

That is the Fly High 1000 lb. bow triangle. There are smaller versions available by Ronix and Sumo.

My locker bags are the wakemakers custom bags that are advertised as 820ish lbs. but in reality they fill to over 1000 lbs each.

Hey IXFE what did they charge you to do the bow sac, Plumbing , Pump etc,

Hey IXFE what did they charge you to do the bow sac, Plumbing , Pump etc,

In my case I did all three locations with reversible pumps (i.e. no factory PnP) and it was all priced into the boat purchase. I don't remember what they charged me but I do remember thinking it was super reasonable given the labor involved to do all three locations.

• Like 1

Great looking boat! I have a VLX and yes you need bow weight if your running PnP in the rear, I run a 600Lb sac up front and fill my rear bags about 3/4 after I found out they are not 824 Lb. but 1000 Lb. full, Makes all the difference, I think my Prop is a 2419?

+1 with 650 lb sumo which actually weighs 700+, same rear bags as 67. I dont know if 1000 bow is necessary but I have no real world experience with that bag. The 650 sumo seems to be sufficient. I run oj 948 prop, great prop combo with 409. My rpms are low when surfing with that 948.

• Like 1

Do you have a link to those locker bags on their site? I can only find the 550s. I' upgrading my bags next season, think one has a leak

Do you have a link to those locker bags on their site? I can only find the 550s. I' upgrading my bags next season, think one has a leak

I just checked the website and couldn't find them either. Just call them and ask for their custom VLX bags. I think they are $300 ish each.

How's that extra weight going to work at your elevation? And remind me what bow weight you have.

I just checked the website and couldn't find them either. Just call them and ask for their custom VLX bags. I think they are $300 ish each.

How's that extra weight going to work at your elevation? And remind me what bow weight you have.

For surfing they'll be fine, I actually have a 750 horseshoe bag and a 1000lbs triangle bag. We swap them out based ont he amount of people we have. Wakeboarding we typically run the 750 in the nose and maybe 1/4 full bags ontop of MLS.

I'm running 750s now in the lockers

Edited by CJAY

I have had a bit more time to run the boat. Will try and write a short review of my overall impressions soon. On the subject of the prop it does surprisingly appear Malibu did no testing and made no changes in how they prop the boat for 16 verses 15 despite a big change in transmission ratios. The 2277 on my boat is producing almost the same numbers as the 2247/2249 on the 2015 boats. If you are ordering a 16 boat I would let the dealer know you expect to be able to exchange the prop if it's not performing as you expect. The 2277 on my 16 was ordered as the all around prop but matches the performance of the high altitude prop for 2015. In looking for a more all around prop the issue is there is a hole in the acme product line in this area. The next step up is a 2401 which is 15X17.5 or a 2 inch pitch change. It would have less cup. Might have to look at a OJ. Acme did mention that they will have some new props designs out in the spring that will feature some performance changes and that I might want to wait on a 2nd prop.

ahopkins22LSV

Great looking boat!

On the prop discussion. You have to understand the recent trends in water sports have been towards surfing. So all manufactures are designing and building that way. People want tons of low end torque without spending thousands on motor upgrades and props. Top end is little to no concern to some people. And people seem to be very willing to take a 20-25mph cruising speed to get the surf performance they want. I honestly don't know if you would see 47mph in the new VLX hull design regardless of engine/trans/prop ratio. Maybe with the LSA. These hulls are designed to plow the most amount of water possible. Not get on top of the water and be efficient in speed.

• Like 2

I understand what you are saying. The hull however is the same from 15 to 16. It may be that Malibu has changed the metrics on cruise verses high altitude verses torque props. It looks like however they are simply slapping the same props on 16's that they did on 15's.

These hulls are actually not bad for speed with the flat aft sections. The problem is the shaft angle and the fact it is fixed. With the boat planning adding more power drives the bow down in the water increasing wetted surface and drag. Fast boats get the hull running on the aft third of the hull. Many years ago I think it was Sanger who offered one of their boats as a IO. It was 15mph faster then the inboard version with less HP.

Edited by Sailvi767

One thing to note with bow triangle bag. You can fit 650 lbs in a 1000 pound triangle, but you can't fit 1000 pounds in a 650.

Yes, but I have found when you fill a bag half way it tends to move around much more. I don't want that bag moving around a rubbing on the vinyl.

Yes, but I have found when you fill a bag half way it tends to move around much more. I don't want that bag moving around a rubbing on the vinyl.

I agree all the way ! The 1000 triangle full is "excellent" 1/2 full l find the bag not moveing but all the water transfers to the tip when you back off and right back against the wind block when you take off and affects nose dive more when only half full. The right size bag for your needs is a much better choice.imo

P.S great looking boat congrats.

One thing to note with bow triangle bag. You can fit 650 lbs in a 1000 pound triangle, but you can't fit 1000 pounds in a 650.

Yeah but 650lbs sloshes around madly in a 1000lbs bag, drives me crazy, plus makes draining a pain to start. Wiht the 650 you still have one seat for a person to sit in the bow.

Yeah but 650lbs sloshes around madly in a 1000lbs bag, drives me crazy, plus makes draining a pain to start. Wiht the 650 you still have one seat for a person to sit in the bow.

Which 650 are you using?