Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2016 VLX delivered today

Sailvi767

2016 VLX with the 450 motor was delivered today. Everything seems great so far. The only thing I need to sort out is the prop. Malibu delivered it with a 2277 prop. I ordered it with the standard not high altitude prop. I expected to see speeds near 47 and decent cruise speeds. I don't plan to slam the boat. Standard tanks and 800 PNP's in the back. The boat is a beast out of the hole and the speeds seem like I got the high altitude prop. Here are some numbers with all tanks empty and only two people in the boat. 3100 rpm gives 21mph. 3800 RPM gives 30 MPH and 5500 yields 42mph.

These numbers are almost exactly the same as 2015 boats with the HA prop. I find it hard to believe but I wonder if Malibu screwed up the prop selection with the new gear ratios. The 2277 was the standard prop on the 2015 VLX. Thoughts? I may keep it as a spare and order a better cruise prop since I live on a large lake. Hole shot was outstanding with all tanks and bags filled so I can give up a bit there. I can't imagine what the high altitude prop RPMs would be if this is the correct all around prop.

2016 VLX with the 450 motor was delivered today. Everything seems great so far. The only thing I need to sort out is the prop. Malibu delivered it with a 2277 prop. I ordered it with the standard not high altitude prop. I expected to see speeds near 47 and decent cruise speeds. I don't plan to slam the boat. Standard tanks and 800 PNP's in the back. The boat is a beast out of the hole and the speeds seem like I got the high altitude prop. Here are some numbers with all tanks empty and only two people in the boat. 3100 rpm gives 21mph. 3800 RPM gives 30 MPH and 5500 yields 42mph.

These numbers are almost exactly the same as 2015 boats with the HA prop. I find it hard to believe but I wonder if Malibu screwed up the prop selection with the new gear ratios. The 2277 was the standard prop on the 2015 VLX. Thoughts? I may keep it as a spare and order a better cruise prop since I live on a large lake. Hole shot was outstanding with all tanks and bags filled so I can give up a bit there. I can't imagine what the high altitude prop RPMs would be if this is the correct all around prop.

Surprised the 2277 is still that much of a stump puller and poor cruiser. Next step is 17.5 pitch, be interesting if that would work.

I suspect the new gear ratio is the problem. I just assumed Malibu would sort it out. Not a big deal since I will make this a spare prop. The gap up to the next prop might be a issue. I don't want that much pitch. Might have to look at a OJ.

I wonder what kind of numbers the 2249 would have. I suspect the top speed would be 35 to 36mph. I can't even imagine what the torque prop would produce. The 2277 is producing the same numbers as the HA prop on the 2015's. I think the HA prop was the 2249 last year. Pics of the boat will have to wait a few days.

G

I assume that means you bypassed the "engine break in" outlined in the manual?? I know there are differences in opinion on this topic. Congrats on the new boat, looking forward to the pics as well!

I assume that means you bypassed the "engine break in" outlined in the manual?? I know there are differences in opinion on this topic. Congrats on the new boat, looking forward to the pics as well!

The top speed I just calculated, keep the rpm under 4000. Have 4 hours on it already. You can go to 4000 after 3 hours.

Edited by Sailvi767

The top speed I just calculated, keep the rpm under 4000. Have 4 hours on it already. You can go to 4000 after 3 hours.

I would not extrapolate the speed/RPM relationship when fluids are involved.

Surfed the boat today. Ran full factory ballast plus 800 PNP's in the rear lockers. I am new to surfing but it appears it needs more bow weight with this setup. Had about 800 lbs in people in the back with no one in the bow. Will try and get some more prop numbers tomorrow.

Surfed the boat today. Ran full factory ballast plus 800 PNP's in the rear lockers. I am new to surfing but it appears it needs more bow weight with this setup. Had about 800 lbs in people in the back with no one in the bow. Will try and get some more prop numbers tomorrow.

Install this in the bow. Everything will change.

20150618_103832_zpstygndsbd.jpg

• Like 2