Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Boat From Canada to USA

TC_2006_VLX

Howdy Crew,

So I am looking on puling the trigger on a Malibu up in Canada and bringing down to Minnesota. Does anyone know the process/cost associated with doing a purchase like this. I tried finding a tread on this, but appears they were all USA to Canada instead of Canada back to USA.

Thanks!

I have experience with this and eventually gave up.

If it is financed it is very difficult to get the bank to send the correct funding since the rates change all the time. The financing bank doesn't even want to mess with it.

You have to hire a company to handle paperwork for crossing the boarder.

The boat won't have a title.....another problem for the finance company and the state.

Even our local dealer won't do it again......they had a lot of trouble getting a title for an x-star that they bought.

I ended up paying 4k more for a boat in the states but I don't regret it!

Edited by Lance B. Johnson

I have experience with this and eventually gave up.

If it is financed it is very difficult to get the bank to send the correct funding since the rates change all the time. The financing bank doesn't even want to mess with it.

You have to hire a company to handle paperwork for crossing the boarder.

The boat won't have a title.....another problem for the finance company and the state.

Even our local dealer won't do it again......they had a lot of trouble getting a title for an x-star that they bought.

I ended up paying 4k more for a boat in the states but I don't regret it!

I think the secret to fixing most of that problem is by using a loan type that doesn't put a lien on the title (ie not a boat loan). Heloc or signature loan simplifies things immensely and then if you really wanted to you could do the boat loan after it is in your possession.

Getting a title for just about anything with proper sale documentation is easy in MN.

Edited by oldjeep
  • Like 1

Not sure if it applies but when my boat went to Canada, the buyer used a border agent broker (he paid for this service.) He said he wouldn't have done it if not for that because they guided him on all necessary paperwork, rules and regs etc.

• Like 1

Not sure if it applies but when my boat went to Canada, the buyer used a border agent broker (he paid for this service.) He said he wouldn't have done it if not for that because they guided him on all necessary paperwork, rules and regs etc.

Thats it, I couldn't remember what they were called. But yes a border agent is probably necessary.

I think the secret to fixing most of that problem is by using a loan type that doesn't put a lien on the title (ie not a boat loan). Heloc or signature loan simplifies things immensely and then if you really wanted to you could do the boat loan after it is in your possession.

Getting a title for just about anything with proper sale documentation is easy in MN.

Oregon is a big PITA when it comes to this stuff. Even to license my trailer I had to tow the frickin thing to the DMV, in a bad part of town, leave it parked for an hour while I waited, so the guy could come out and verify the info. All because I bought it in Montana. Then it cost me 230 bucks. Wasn't a good day.

Oregon is a big PITA when it comes to this stuff. Even to license my trailer I had to tow the frickin thing to the DMV, in a bad part of town, leave it parked for an hour while I waited, so the guy could come out and verify the info. All because I bought it in Montana. Then it cost me 230 bucks. Wasn't a good day.

They don't inspect anything here unless your documentation is pretty shady. Took me about 2 weeks to get a 53 ford titled - had no title, hadn't been registered in ND since the 60's just had a bill of sale from last known owners family and you had to submit pictures of the serial tag. Even with that they still licensed it immediately.

Here in MN the boat would be a DNR title and the trailer is from DPS (car stuff)

• Like 1

Yikes sounds like you need to get a broker to do it. Which results in a 350 broker fee + 150 transport fee (for me hauling it) + 600 continuous bond. Out the door $1150 to get it in here? Thats what the broker at Livingston was selling me anyway!

Canadian mark.up? Stuff is cheap in Canada when you are paying in us dollars.

Haha no doubt! Our dollar is Monopoly money to the US dollar....not the best when all top wake boats are built in the us, we are the ones getting killed on mark up it sucks.

Canadian mark.up? Stuff is cheap in Canada when you are paying in us dollars.

I understand very well - I spend a good month in Newfoundland a year (will be more than that this year). I was just there for 8 days.

But boats and cars are typically marked up well over US prices. Let's give the F150 example, as everyone loves that here:

Truck: "base" '16 F150 Limited, 4x4, Ecoboost

US MSRP: $57,247

Canada MSRP: 74,049 CAD ($55,663 USD)

As you can see, the price really isn't much different.

I understand very well - I spend a good month in Newfoundland a year (will be more than that this year). I was just there for 8 days.

But boats and cars are typically marked up well over US prices. Let's give the F150 example, as everyone loves that here:

Don't get me started on what we pay for fuel for that F150 up here....that's what stings the most everyday at the pump haha.

Don't get me started on what we pay for fuel for that F150 up here....that's what stings the most everyday at the pump haha.

Just how much is gasoline up north? Out here on the left coast we are paying $2.50+/gal.

I would guess pretty cheap, since you have sooo much of it! Almost like they are giving it away!! ha ha

Edited by WINEGRAPEGROWER

Yeah, it is about double the cost (well, if not doing the currency conversion).

I was seeing about $1/liter CAD last week for regular. We were around $1.91/gallon when I came back here (for regular...though the premium markup was higher than normal at $.40/gallon everywhere I looked). That means more to me as the Malibu and all of our cars require premium, with the truck being the only regular consumer.

Just how much is gasoline up north? Out here on the left coast we are paying $2.50+/gal.

I would guess pretty cheap, since you have sooo much of it! Almost like they are giving it away!! ha ha

With conversion to us currency it's $2.90-3.00 per us gallon in my province right now. Which is pretty low on average around here. And that is for regular with about a 20 cent increase for premium fuel. Edited by nohlan4

Naw, Go visit the Wizard Lake Marine site and see the prices......the deals are better up there after the conversion. I know very well this is true.

If the buyer has cash in hand for the purchase they can save some decent money to do this.....you just gotta be willing to deal with some PITA stuff.

Naw, Go visit the Wizard Lake Marine site and see the prices......the deals are better up there after the conversion. I know very well this is true.

If the buyer has cash in hand for the purchase they can save some decent money to do this.....you just gotta be willing to deal with some PITA stuff.

Maybe used, but the dealer is buying new boats in USD and is subject to the exchange rate.

Also there would not be any duty on a Malibu boat going to the USA...maybe a Federal tax at the border if you have that.

There is a 5% federal tax on goods brought into Canada

Edited by Chia
  • Like 1

With conversion to us currency it's $2.90-3.00 per us gallon in my province right now. Which is pretty low on average around here. And that is for regular with about a 20 cent increase for premium fuel.

Number seems low. Isn't it about 3.75l per US gallon? In that case, in Alberta isn't it about $3.75/gallon?

Number seems low. Isn't it about 3.75l per US gallon? In that case, in Alberta isn't it about $3.75/gallon?

in alberta the price of regular gasoline is 88.9 cents a litre times 3.785 to convert to us gallon = $3.364 CDN per US gallon.

$3.364 CDN converted to USD (@ 1 CDN dollar =.749887 USD and 1 USD = 1.333 CDN) = $2.522 USD for a US gallon of fuel purchased in Alberta.

Maybe used, but the dealer is buying new boats in USD and is subject to the exchange rate.

Also there would not be any duty on a Malibu boat going to the USA...maybe a Federal tax at the border if you have that.

There is a 5% federal tax on goods brought into Canada

Obviously. When I was looking the price difference was about 4k. (used)

in alberta the price of regular gasoline is 88.9 cents a litre times 3.785 to convert to us gallon = $3.364 CDN per US gallon.

$3.364 CDN converted to USD (@ 1 CDN dollar =.749887 USD and 1 USD = 1.333 CDN) = $2.522 USD for a US gallon of fuel purchased in Alberta.

Maybe in major centres, the average price for fuel where I live is $1.05 a liter.