Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2012 LSV vs 2014 LSV

dm001681

So, I currently own a 2012 LSV that we love, however I am always looking for a smoking deal. I've found a NEW (leftover) 2014 LSV at the same dealer I purchased my '12 from and I believe there is a pretty good deal to be had. My question to the crew is, are the upgrades from the '12 to the '14 significant? Surfgate is the obvious first big upgrade but the rear facing transom seats as well as the rear seating you get in the cabin too. Hi FLO sounds great, does it make much of a difference in fill/drain time?

What do you guys think? If I can do this with no additional money to get the deal done and the payment stays pretty close to the same....it's worth it right?

Depends on the price of the 2014. I have a 2014 and have been in the 2015 and the dash is indeed much nicer, but I've decided not to upgrade to a 2016 because it wasn't worth the price of admission. The boats will surf the same and at sea level the new wedge doesn't really matter that much IMO.

If it's a $11-12k or more difference I'd think long and hard about a '14. Your water experience will be close to the same.

Ps talking about the difference between 14, 15 and 16 23LSV boats, not a 2012.

Edited by tjklein

Depends on the price of the 2014. I have a 2014 and have been in the 2015 and the dash is indeed much nicer, but I've decided not to upgrade to a 2016 because it wasn't worth the price of admission. The boats will surf the same and at sea level the new wedge doesn't really matter that much IMO.

If it's a $11-12k or more difference I'd think long and hard about a '14. Your water experience will be close to the same.

I would have to disagree. The hull is completely different, and it will have Surfgate. I would say if the difference in payment is negligible, go for it! The 2014 is a significant performance upgrade. Water experience may be noticeably better as well with faster ballast and instant switching sides for surfing regular and goofy riders.

I would have to disagree. The hull is completely different, and it will have Surfgate. I would say if the difference in payment is negligible, go for it! The 2014 is a significant performance upgrade. Water experience may be noticeably better as well with faster ballast and instant switching sides for surfing regular and goofy riders.

Sorry I meant the difference between buying a 2014 and a 2016 boat. Absolutely would buy a new hull LSV over a 2012! That's a HUGE difference. Sorry if I wasn't clear on that.

Thanks guys! So a couple of you have mentioned about the hull being totally different, what is so different? What differences are there when surfing or wakeboarding because of the hull? Thanks!

It accommodates significantly more free board. From what I was told, it was the first hull built around Surfgate. The changes are obvious if you look at both side by side. The running surface is likely similar, but not exactly the same.

So a little more to share here. The 2014 is new unregistered so from a warranty perspective the boat is new, however its been used to demo quite a bit and has 50 hours on it. How much discount should I realistically expect since it is definitely 'used'? Thoughts? Thanks guys!

I would be pointing out the new 2015 etco is blowing out. You should get a significant break. Keep in mind the second you register it you have a 2 year old boat with 50 hours. Discount needs to be steep, really steep.

So a little more to share here. The 2014 is new unregistered so from a warranty perspective the boat is new, however its been used to demo quite a bit and has 50 hours on it. How much discount should I realistically expect since it is definitely 'used'? Thoughts? Thanks guys!

I would say a solid 30+% off of MSRP would be a good discount. Also, the warranty won't start until you purchase. With 50 hours, they have done you a favor and worked the bugs out for you!

Ok so I don't know if its cool to talk about deals or not, so if I'm braking some unspoken rule I apologize up front. 80k is the current deal. Boat has Surfgate, 3 outlet heater, Stainless exhaust, dock lights, underwater lights and all the regular stuff. I honeslty don't know what MSRP is on that boat so not sure if 80k is 30% off or not. It feels like a pretty honest deal....thoughts?

No flake, standard stereo with two 6x9 on the tower, interior is standard 8 speaker with sub and 3 amps. Base Monsoon 350 engine. Tandem axel Malibu trailer, so nice trailer but no 'bling'. Hope that helps!

Wow thanks, now those are some crazy deals. Problem for me is I'm east coast and those are California, pretty hard to take advantage when I'm this far away.

You could probably ship one and be around the $80k mark.

If you like the color combos I personally would do the Etco Marine deal since they are essentially selling them at cost.

BRAND NEW, MUCH better dash, PW II and better resale.

This dealer is reputable and became a MC dealer. I'm sure they can set up shipping for a couple of grand.

If you like the color combos I personally would do the Etco Marine deal since they are essentially selling them at cost.

BRAND NEW, MUCH better dash, PW II and better resale.

This dealer is reputable and became a MC dealer. I'm sure they can set up shipping for a couple of grand.

I just got off the phone with Earl at Etco and what a great experience, top notch guy! Man I really want to do a deal with them. Two downsides to doing the deal though, they won't take my trade so I have the hassle of selling my boat and I'll have to pay sales tax on the full purchase price instead of just the difference between the purchase price and the trade value. That in itself is about 5k. Oh and I would also have to pay for shipping across the country. What to do, what to do????