Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Question about freezing temps

NCVride

Hey guys,

I need some peace of mind here. Went up to the lake last week to drain my boat which is still on the lift. The block plug rounded off and I didn't have the stuff with me to get it out!!!!! Wife and I are headed to the USVI's this evening and won't be back until next week.

The boat is sitting on the lift covered about 2 feet above the water level. Water Temp is currently 60.

Forecast around here for this weekend is:

Sunday High 50 Low 26

Monday High 49 Low 28

My thoughts are the water temp will keep the surface level warm enough that I don't have to worry.

What say the crew, do you guys think I will be ok not draining it???????

Low of 26 after highs about 50 = no worries. The cover will help as will the water temp. If you're going to make a trip to the boat then drop it just into the water if you're sure there will be no issues with waves - or put a 75 watt work light under the engine if you have 110V at the dock. I would be more worried about the boat getting bounced around the lift than with freeze issues. If you're not going to make a trip then don't worry. I've left boats overnight (for a couple days) with lows in the lower 20's and highs in the 40's with no issues. Not that I recommend that as standard practice...

• Like 1

Thanks guys!!!!! I have been stressing all day even though my common sense tells me I would be fine. Just needed a little crew peace of mind. Now it's off to sunshine, palm trees and blue water for a few days!!!!!!

As for letting the boat down, I can't get up there and back in time to make a flight!!! And none of my trustworthy neighbors are around up there. Plus I would be worried about it sitting in the water for a few days!!

Edited by NCVride

enjoy your vacation! a cup of water probably wouldn't even freeze solid in those temps.. 1st to go would be a heater if you have one, but I'm assuming you don't since it wasn't mentioned.

Your boat and engine will retain a lot of the daytime heat. Being on the water, warmth will radiate off the lake. It may get cold but not long enough for the block to feel it.

someone on here posted a few weeks ago the amount of time it takes when temps get to certain degrees for things to freeze. Although, it may have had to do with a light bulb in the bilge. I just looked and could not find it.

NCVride - hope you had a nice flight yesterday. Enjoy the vacation - Which of the islands you heading to? I grew up on St. Croix but always enjoyed the beaches and tranquility of St. John much better.

Hey blackmxz,

Sitting here right now high on a mountain overlooking Coral Bay. Wonderful. Drinking a cold one. 78 and a nice breeze with a storm blowing in. Not jealous of anyone in the states right now!!!!!!! Actually passed a Moomba under a cover off of centerline road on STJ today. Was amazed.

• Like 1