Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Engine Trouble and Fault Codes

TexasAg98

I am attempting to trouble shoot an engine issue, and would appreciate any help or recommendations that you can offer.

The engine starts to stumble/run rough around 4200 RPM and gets worse the higher you push it. Occasionally it will happen around 2700 RPM, but it is not as consistent. It runs well at lower speeds/RPM's.

I have replaced the fuel filter/regulator, and spark plugs. The dealer I bought it from replaced the distributor cap when I purchased the boat in June. I have verified the fuel pump pressurizes the line when the key is turned on, but the gauge leaked too bad to run the engine with it on.

I recently figured out that the batteries (Optima Blue Top) were bad. They would take a charge, but when put on a tester, only had around 200 CCA instead of 800 CCA.

I am now getting the fault codes shown in the pictures. These just recently showed up.

Also, in one of the pictures, you can see two wires that have been cut. They were cut when I purchased the boat, but had been tucked away so I just noticed them when I started looking into the engine. Any idea what these are or where they should go?

post-29305-0-03637800-1447795520_thumb.j

post-29305-0-60364900-1447795520_thumb.j

post-29305-0-59081000-1447795521_thumb.j

post-29305-0-11675300-1447795522_thumb.j

post-29305-0-15575500-1447795523_thumb.j

post-29305-0-33762600-1447797067_thumb.j

The first two errors are from the cut wires. Those are the sensors on the cats. Not sure why you would cut those out. The other three could be due to having low voltage when starting up the engine. Have you run the engine with the new batteries?

I have not had a chance to run it with new batteries yet. The boat is an hour away, and I just put the batteries on the tester this past weekend when I was out there. I will be taking new batteries with me the next time I go out.

Here is the fault code manual

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0106/9702/files/Indmar_Engine_Service_Manual.pdf

Those last 3 look bad - FMI = 31 is an invalid value for those codes. OC = occurrence code (127 times - max). I'd be looking at the wiring for the throttle position sensor and crank sensor

Like JeffK said, the first 2 are the cat temperature senders. Were those getting mashed by the package tray?

• Like 1

Thanks oldjeep. No they were not getting mashed by the package tray. Someone had cut them before I purchased the boat in June, then they had tucked the ends of the wires down so it would not look like they were cut. I am guessing the dealer I bought it from did not go through it nearly as closely as they said they did, or surely they would have found this.

Can you tell me where the throttle position sensor and crank sensor are located?

If you start the boat with low battery voltage, all sorts of things can act funny. If the ECM does not boot correctly there is no telling what errors you will get. I would start with fresh batteries and then run it again.

This will fix your Cat sensor problem if you have the 2 wire!

We ran into similar symptoms like your codes are describing in a 2006 X-30 with same distributor this summer. It was throwing lots of codes, Indmar said replace ECM, we did. Same problem, higher RPM's it would fall on it's face. Crank sensor codes, lots of codes. Turns out. Timing was off. Yours could be too. While the boat is running and plugged into Diacomm, get on the phone with Indmar and go through where the timing needs to be. Adjust timing, and you should be good to go!

Edited by skurfer
  • Like 1

BTW, they don't make the 2 wire Cat sensor anymore, above is what Indmar says to do..

Your distributor cap doesn't look to be Indmar, I would make sure you have an Indmar distributor too, not an aftermarket one..

Edited by skurfer

This will fix your Cat sensor problem if you have the 2 wire!

We ran into similar symptoms like your codes are describing in a 2006 X-30 with same distributor this summer. It was throwing lots of codes, Indmar said replace ECM, we did. Same problem, higher RPM's it would fall on it's face. Crank sensor codes, lots of codes. Turns out. Timing was off. Yours could be too. While the boat is running and plugged into Diacomm, get on the phone with Indmar and go through where the timing needs to be. Adjust timing, and you should be good to go!

Great info!

• 1 month later...

UPDATE: Just wanted to follow up and let people know what the issue was. I ended up taking it back to the dealer I bought it from. They are GREAT and made things right. I can not speak highly enough of the service department there.

There were several issues that they corrected:

1. The fuel pump was not holding a constant pressure, so they replaced that.

2. They checked the cam angle, and it was off, which was advancing the timing, so they corrected that.

There were a few other things they found and corrected, but not related to the engine running rough.

The boat runs GREAT now, like it has a new engine.

• Like 2