Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Small Engine Cover Project

powbmps

I've got the old 'clam shell' style engine cover with no struts/supports. I was originally thinking gas struts, but they all seem overpowered for the weight of the top lid, so I decided to try cheap and easy. Actually pretty happy with the way it turned out. Used some leftover nylon webbing and stainless screws. Melted the screw holes in the webbing and pre-drilled the holes in the cover to prevent cracking. We shall see how it holds up.

20151116_201520.jpg

20151116_201628.jpg20151116_201546.jpg20151116_201337.jpg

Smart. Necessity is the mother of invention. (as is "I'm so sick and tired of this...I'm gotta figure something out.")

Edited by DIE2SURF
  • Like 2

Nice! But how do you hook your rubber strap over that rear clip? Are you just planning on using the front ones?

I figured you might notice that. Will probably just skip using the rears. If I'm in a situation where the back of the cover is lifting off the floor, I will probably have bigger issues to deal with :) .

Nice job.

Longer webbing with standard buckle clips on the webbing toward the ends would allow you to leave them clipped together to make the webbing short, then unclipping to allow the full length of the webbing to open the clam shell farther when needed. I hope that is clearer than I made it sound.

• Like 2

Nice job.

Longer webbing with standard buckle clips on the webbing toward the ends would allow you to leave them clipped together to make the webbing short, then unclipping to allow the full length of the webbing to open the clam shell farther when needed. I hope that is clearer than I made it sound.

That's a good idea.

I may leave it the way it is for now. If I need to open it further, I can just flip up the bottom half with it. Of course I may change my mind when it is in the boat and not on a ping pong table.

@powbmps: Nice work, how much does the upper shell weigh? Good suggestion by Falko on having the shell go farther over center to make sure it doesn't slam back down on your noggin. Another option might be the scissor style (metal bars) that go over center to a slight < (or V) to basically create a lock. You would actually only want one since it would be annoying to reach across to 2 of them. Long straps seem to be the easiest solution. My one concern for the webbing would be if it ends up laying on the exhaust manifolds and melting over time. A solution for that might be some medical tubing (stretchy) that would pull the loose strap down when the lid closes (we use that in endurance race cars to pull the driver seat belts away so the driver can jump out of the car without snagging on the belts and the person going in doesn't end up sitting on a belt and wasting time buckling back up).