Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Steering Cable Block...Thingy....?

While winterizing and manually pulling the tiller arm in so that most of the shaft is inside the cable/jacket, I noticed this black block moved a bit side to side. Is that normal? I see that it only has 1 bolt securing it so it would make sense that it's allowed to move back and forth some but my steering is a little sloppy at higher speeds and wondered if this could be the culprit.

IMG_0500_zps8h1avlmg.jpg

Doesn't seem like it should be able to move as that would translate some of your turning input into useless motion. That being said it does look like a bushing under the block to allow it to pivot. For slop in the steering the first thing I would look at is the tilt unit - make sure that the screws are tight and the bearings are not wallowed out. In-laws LXI steering went from crap to great when I replaced their tilt a couple years ago.

• Like 2

Hmmm, so the tilt, which I rarely use and just leave at the highest position, is an added connection point prone to wear or failure? Never torn apart a steering wheel assembly, got any pics of what I should be looking for?

Hmmm, so the tilt, which I rarely use and just leave at the highest position, is an added connection point prone to wear or failure? Never torn apart a steering wheel assembly, got any pics of what I should be looking for?

Doesn't have anything to do with using it or not. There are a couple set screws at the ujoint that can come loose and if you use the steering wheel as a crutch to get in and out of the seat it can wear out the bearings. Unfortunately to check it you need to remove the steering wheel and adaptor so that the rubber boot can be removed. Then you can put the wheel back on and see the slop when the shaft is turned

• Like 3

The thingy is not supposed to move. My latest restoration is a 2006 WS 247 with low hours. When I bought it the steering was stiff and had lots of slop. Replacing the tilt, helm, rack and pinion, and steering cable got rid of the slop and freed up the steering. There is still an annoying vibration on initial take off. The rudder bearings have a tiny bit of play. Once I replace those the steering system will be all new from the steering wheel to the rudder. Hopefully that will end the vibration issue.

Ndawg........my point is you may have to go further than tightening the thingy in order to get rid of all of the slop.