Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Water leaking from prop shafts hole?...Help..

I hooked my 2010 vlx to the fake a lake yesterday to winterize. While running the engine i had antifreeze pouring from the hole where the prop shafts exits the boat. I'm guessing that should not happen. Can anyone chime in and shed some light on this issue.

You have a "dripless" shaft seal that forces raw water into the packing to cool and lubricate it. Pinch the hose after you let a little antifreeze get into the seal, or if the loss is not too bad, just let it run.

Yep, pretty sure you have a water-cooled shaft seal, which is a good thing.

What happens is that water is diverted, via a Y-fitting off the water hose coming out of the transmission cooler, through a clear hose running forward on the starboard side of the engine, at least on my v-drive, and into the shaft "seal," which forces water out along the driveshaft to cool and lubricate.

So, assuming you are sucking antifreeze up from your fake-a-lake, a portion of that solution will be diverted to the shaft seal, unless, as justgary suggests, you occlude that hose. Most of the water w/ antifreeze, though, is still circulating up towards the thermostat housing and, assuming the thermostat is opened, through the engine block.

I use a small/thin vice grip w/chaffing for protecting the shaft seal cooling hose, and set it to just pinch the hose tight. This will stop the leaking out where the shaft leaves the hull. Leaking out is good for cooling, but not in your case since cooling water is being diverted from cooling the engine (and due to antifreeze leaking into the environment).

• 3 weeks later...