Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Tower speaker opinions

NCSurfing

I am interested in your thoughts on a small dilemma I have. My new 23 LSV Comes with 2 pair of Wet Sounds Icon 8s. My trade has 1 pair of Rev 8s. Based upon the research I have done and what I've heard, the Icons are good for surfing however, don't project well behind the boat for wakeboarding whereas, I never had a challenge hearing the Revs while wakeboarding. The mounts are the same thus, the dealer has given me the option to keep my Revs in exchange for 1 pair of the Icons. This means I will have 1 pair of each, which I I am thinking will give me the best of both worlds. Should I blend the pair like this or stay consistent with the Icons?

I would not mix those setups. The compression driver of the Rev-8 and the tweeter of the Icon are going to sound quite different, so they wont blend well. Even then, the Rev-8 is going to dominate. The other issue is amp wattage. If this is a 2016 with the 600.4, then each pod is netting about 75W rms. Thats WAY shy for both types. The best of both worlds would be to Go with a pair of Rev-10 bridged on the 600.4 for 300W rms to each pod. Other wise, I would consider keeping the 2 pair of Icons and upgrade the amp. 2 pair of 8" coax with 1" tweeters is going to give a single pair of 8" HLCD a run for their money. Or, keep your Rev-8 and run them alone on the 600.4.

I would not mix those setups. The compression driver of the Rev-8 and the tweeter of the Icon are going to sound quite different, so they wont blend well. Even then, the Rev-8 is going to dominate. The other issue is amp wattage. If this is a 2016 with the 600.4, then each pod is netting about 75W rms. Thats WAY shy for both types. The best of both worlds would be to Go with a pair of Rev-10 bridged on the 600.4 for 300W rms to each pod. Other wise, I would consider keeping the 2 pair of Icons and upgrade the amp. 2 pair of 8" coax with 1" tweeters is going to give a single pair of 8" HLCD a run for their money. Or, keep your Rev-8 and run them alone on the 600.4.

I appreciate your perspective! One thing I failed to mention is that I plan to run each pair of tower speakers off it's own amp. I have 2 Wet Sounds Syn 4s that I never installed on my previous boat thus, I was going to use each for a pair of towers and then reuse the RF for the sub (for some reason, my system didn't come with a factory sub - mine is a '15 thus, not sure what RF amp this is). That said, not sure this changes your comment about the blending...keen if you have additional thoughts given the amp context.

A 2015 may have the 600.4 on the towers or possible the 500.2 as they have had in previous years. Doesnt really change much. The Syn-4 is more wattage then the Rev-8 needs, but the added headroom is manageable. A Syn-4 in 2 chnl mode is WAY too much for a pair of icon-8. With that power difference, you would hardly even know the Icons are there. Not worth the amp realestate or battery power to drive them honestly. Since you have a spare Syn-4, go with a single pair of Rev-10. Let the Rev-8's stay with the trade-in and trade the 2 pair of Icon for the Rev-10. Or retain the two pair Icons and trade up the amp to a Syn-2.

There's a gigantic difference in the tweeter voice size of the Rev8 compression driver and the Icon8 1" dome. BIG power handling differential, not to mention a sensitivity differential.

There's also a size difference in the midbass VC between the Rev8 and Icon8. Again, translating directly to a power handling difference.

There's no way around the fact that you can over-drive the Icon8 by powering it so that it competes with the Rev8 for projection range. Or, you can gain down the Rev8 in order to protect the Icon8, which negates any Rev8 performance advantage. Either way, I don't recommend the mix.

Go with (4) Rev8s, (4) Icon8s, or one set of Rev10s.

Pay attention to the Mike's cautionary comments about the power.

There's a gigantic difference in the tweeter voice size of the Rev8 compression driver and the Icon8 1" dome. BIG power handling differential, not to mention a sensitivity differential.

There's also a size difference in the midbass VC between the Rev8 and Icon8. Again, translating directly to a power handling difference.

There's no way around the fact that you can over-drive the Icon8 by powering it so that it competes with the Rev8 for projection range. Or, you can gain down the Rev8 in order to protect the Icon8, which negates any Rev8 performance advantage. Either way, I don't recommend the mix.

Go with (4) Rev8s, (4) Icon8s, or one set of Rev10s.

Pay attention to the Mike's cautionary comments about the power.

I appreciate this. IYO, with 4 properly powered icon 8s, will a wakeboarder be able to hear these adequately? On a similar note, will 4 Rev 8s yield a decent experience for a surfer?

A better way to ask is this....if your surf and wakeboarding is split 50/50 and solid audio behind the boat is important, which path do you take - 4 icons or 4 revs?

If you were satisfied from your previous experience with a single pair of Rev8s at wake range then you would be satisfied with two pair of correctly powered Icon8s at wake range.

But if I were to compare these two pair against these two pair for wake range then I would definitely go the Rev8 route....again, if the Rev8 was correctly powered. The Rev8 extra horn power and extra overall power handling would keep them running a little more conservatively, and 'conservative is clean'. A loud HLCD can hurt in the boat but not as bad as over-driving a speaker, or amplifier.

As for wake range: Normally a conventional surf speaker is smoother and warmer than an HLCD of equal size for near field listening. But the Rev8 really doesn't have the rawness associated with previous HLCDs. So I don't think it is a liability in any way when used as a surf speaker. The Rev8 is not a peaky speaker. In fact it is pretty smooth as HLCDs go. It does have a broad and mild crest in the upper mids and treble but a bit of equalization will immediately tame this for near field use.

Like Mike wrote, a bridged Syn4 is a lot of power for a single pair of Rev8s but is manageable. However, too much for a pair of Icon8s. One Syn2 per each pair of Icon8s is about the max.

If you were satisfied from your previous experience with a single pair of Rev8s at wake range then you would be satisfied with two pair of correctly powered Icon8s at wake range.

But if I were to compare these two pair against these two pair for wake range then I would definitely go the Rev8 route....again, if the Rev8 was correctly powered. The Rev8 extra horn power and extra overall power handling would keep them running a little more conservatively, and 'conservative is clean'. A loud HLCD can hurt in the boat but not as bad as over-driving a speaker, or amplifier.

As for wake range: Normally a conventional surf speaker is smoother and warmer than an HLCD of equal size for near field listening. But the Rev8 really doesn't have the rawness associated with previous HLCDs. So I don't think it is a liability in any way when used as a surf speaker. The Rev8 is not a peaky speaker. In fact it is pretty smooth as HLCDs go. It does have a broad and mild crest in the upper mids and treble but a bit of equalization will immediately tame this for near field use.

Like Mike wrote, a bridged Syn4 is a lot of power for a single pair of Rev8s but is manageable. However, too much for a pair of Icon8s. One Syn2 per each pair of Icon8s is about the max.

Great perspective and greatly appreciated!!!