Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2016 Raptor 6.2L Noise Levels

pauley71

I've seen a few posts (here and there) about the 6.2L being louder. Anyone go from a GM5.8 to a Ford 6.2L and regret it. I think the extra HP and torque is a good thing, but concerned it would be ... dare I say, obnoxious? Just hoping to get a consolidated opinion on the topic given there are few 2015 deals to be had out there. Thanks - C

I didn't think that it was loud until I started reading about it, then I realized it is loud. We don't really notice the noise while someone is surfing, but it is obnoxious while cruising. We are going out this weekend, and I am not looking forward to cruising to our spot to surf because of the noisy motor. I hope there is something I can do to deaden it a bit one day.

I think IXFE has an opinion on this based upon real world experience.

My opinion (not based upon actual experience with the Ford in a Malibu) is that an overhead cam is going to be louder than push robs buried deep within the core of the engine. It's not just the decibel levels, it's also the tone. A higher pitch isn't going to be as pleasant.

Edited by Cory
ahopkins22LSV

Exhaust also routes forward towards the rear seats then down under the engine and out the back. From first hand experience, yes it is louder. I wouldn't not buy a 16 because of this reason though. I would consider the FAE more even though I can't stand how it looks on the back of the boat. Yes, that matters to me :)

The Ford motor is indeed a bit louder than any GM I've owned (and I've owned 5.7, 6.0, and 6.2). Normally I'd say that's a "plus" because I love the exhaust growl of a V8 and I do consider my boats to be toys so sounding like a hot rod is okay by me. The more the better! But this isn't that kind of louder. It's more of a high pitched whining/grinding noise. It's quite unpleasant. Just listen to some of the videos already posted.

Now... Just to keep things I perspective, it's not something that will keep me from buying a new Malibu this year. It's just a trade off. I'm okay with a slightly louder motor knowing that in return I get a MORE POWERFUL motor at no additional charge.

• Like 4

The Ford motor is indeed a bit louder than any GM I've owned (and I've owned 5.7, 6.0, and 6.2). Normally I'd say that's a "plus" because I love the exhaust growl of a V8 and I do consider my boats to be toys so sounding like a hot rod is okay by me. The more the better! But this isn't that kind of louder. It's more of a high pitched whining/grinding noise. It's quite unpleasant. Just listen to some of the videos already posted.

Now... Just to keep things I perspective, it's not something that will keep me from buying a new Malibu this year. It's just a trade off. I'm okay with a slightly louder motor knowing that in return I get a MORE POWERFUL motor at no additional charge.

FWIW, I completely agree. One other thing to consider on the tone of the engine.....it's going to sound completely different in a marine application vs. an automotive application. You could make that engine sound FANTASTIC in an automotive application.......in the marine environment, that's not so much the case. There are restrictions associated with mounting, emissions, exhaust routing, and the ability to tune the exhaust due to said routing, that limit what can be done to enhance the tone and / or timbre of the exhaust note.

Adding FAE won't help the noise that IXFE is referring to???

I don't believe so, but I guess it can't hurt so maybe worth a try. Somebody should try it... Just not me!

Honestly I don't think it will help cuz the noise I'm describing is NOT exhaust noise; its engine bay noise... like the hatch is open even though it's not.

Edited by IXFE
It's more of a high pitched whining/grinding noise. It's quite unpleasant. Just listen to some of the videos already posted.

That sounds like gears than engine. The only thing that would stand to make more noise would be the cam drive, and it certainly would be more prone to. But it is in the front most part of the engine......furthest away from the cabin. The other primary difference woiuld be the valve actuation, which would typically be quieter (I'd expect the LS based engines to be on par wiht the Ford since they have shaft mounted rockers, rather than stud mounted ones like the Monsoons). The LS may be a bit quieter, too, from teh bottom end, since it has a cast oil pan. I have no idea if any of them use sound deadeners on the underside of the intake manifolds, but that could also be a factor.

Didn't someone else say a while back that the drive gears also changeed? My money would be on that as the main culprit. Were other boat manufacturers that moved over to the Ford getting complaints, too?

• Like 1

That sounds like gears than engine. The only thing that would stand to make more noise would be the cam drive, and it certainly would be more prone to. But it is in the front most part of the engine......furthest away from the cabin. The other primary difference woiuld be the valve actuation, which would typically be quieter (I'd expect the LS based engines to be on par wiht the Ford since they have shaft mounted rockers, rather than stud mounted ones like the Monsoons). The LS may be a bit quieter, too, from teh bottom end, since it has a cast oil pan. I have no idea if any of them use sound deadeners on the underside of the intake manifolds, but that could also be a factor.

Didn't someone else say a while back that the drive gears also changeed? My money would be on that as the main culprit. Were other boat manufacturers that moved over to the Ford getting complaints, too?

I really want you to go demo a '16. You're the perfect guy to come back and explain to us what we're hearing. Or maybe you'll tell us we're imagining this, which would be okay too!

if too loud, ya can always switch to an I/O? a nice little Bayliner Capri with a perky 4 cyl would be quieter!

A few things than can be done: install FAE, insulate dog house or even engine area with v drive, buy bigger stereo, install turn down exhaust pipe (STEs).

Just depends on how quiet you want you boat to be...from silent ninja to here I am everyone on the lake, hear my stereo!

Edited by WINEGRAPEGROWER

I did the sound insulation thing on the dog house of my DD a few years back, it helped with the motor noise in the cabin. Those of you with one already may want to try something similar and report back.

http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index.php?/page/articles.html/_/motorbox-insulation-r4

• Like 2

I really want you to go demo a '16. You're the perfect guy to come back and explain to us what we're hearing. Or maybe you'll tell us we're imagining this, which would be okay too!

I doubt it is being imagined, too many people are saying it. I just really think it is more in the gearbox. As odd as it sounds, it isn't inconceivable to me that the engine may be quieter, which makes the gear noise more pronounced. And if folks find the gearbox noise more offensive, it might just be more annoying. So cacophony rather than sound pressure. If comparing to an LS, then I can see the Ford being louder. If comparing to a Monsoon (base engine), I would really expect the Ford to be quieter. I have to wonder, too, if folks in the Nautique camp had similar complaints when they started going to direct injection engines, as those are incredibly noisy. Like, REALLY loud. Fuel pressures go up by orders of magnitude, and the injectors become much noisier. I also wonder why folks who go with the supercharged engines don't seem to complain. Blowers are also incredibly loud. There is a very discernible whine with those.

ABout the only "easy" thing one could do to try to make the engine, itself, quieter would be to take the sound insulation and try to put as much around the oil pan as is feasible. The cam drive is so far back, and pretty well covered. I still think that the gears are what is being heard, and while the stamped oil pan somewhat serves like a speaker, the gearbox cases do not, so rather than suppress the noise close to the source, you have to try to keep it from getting into the cabin.

I doubt it is being imagined, too many people are saying it. I just really think it is more in the gearbox. As odd as it sounds, it isn't inconceivable to me that the engine may be quieter, which makes the gear noise more pronounced. And if folks find the gearbox noise more offensive, it might just be more annoying. So cacophony rather than sound pressure. If comparing to an LS, then I can see the Ford being louder. If comparing to a Monsoon (base engine), I would really expect the Ford to be quieter. I have to wonder, too, if folks in the Nautique camp had similar complaints when they started going to direct injection engines, as those are incredibly noisy. Like, REALLY loud. Fuel pressures go up by orders of magnitude, and the injectors become much noisier. I also wonder why folks who go with the supercharged engines don't seem to complain. Blowers are also incredibly loud. There is a very discernible whine with those.

ABout the only "easy" thing one could do to try to make the engine, itself, quieter would be to take the sound insulation and try to put as much around the oil pan as is feasible. The cam drive is so far back, and pretty well covered. I still think that the gears are what is being heard, and while the stamped oil pan somewhat serves like a speaker, the gearbox cases do not, so rather than suppress the noise close to the source, you have to try to keep it from getting into the cabin.

King, when you say gears do you mean inside the transmission?

Sort if that's a dumb question.

King, when you say gears do you mean inside the transmission?

Sort if that's a dumb question.

Yeah, gears are incredibly loud. Often louder than unmuffled engines in race cars.

• Like 2

Has anyone heard the ilmor engines in mc? They sound like offshore boats

?? I guess I don't get that statement. The older Indmar setup was louder with the small mufflers MC was putting on at the time. The ilmores have always had quiet master mufflers on them and are whisper quiet, with the exception of the 7.4 which is louder on purpose.

ahopkins22LSV

The 7.4 is awesome. Literally sounds like an off shore boat. I love that sound :drool:

But that isn't the sound from these new fords. I agree with ifxe that it is a higher pitch whine

Edited by ahopkinsTXi
  • Like 1

I've not heard it, so I can't say from an anecdotal perspective, but if everyone who complains about it describes it as a high pitch whine, it is absolutely, positively gearing. Engines sound make more clattering noises like a sewing machine. Think about how they operate.....reciprocating motion. Things are actuated. That is going to lead to clattering noises, whereas a transmission is going to be in constant motion, which makes a whine (similar to a blower).

Have any of you been on a different brand of boat that perhaps did not change the gearbox? Or do y'all frequent other forums? I have not read or heard about similar complaints from other brands. A friend of mine who has a Moomba had talked about how everyone with Supras was happy with teh change. Seriously, what has changed on what applications?

Here is an interesting video. Porsche 911 race car. Similar layout, engine (unmuffled) in the back, gearbox closer to the driver. Give it a listen. The gearbox whine almost completely overwhelms the engine noise.

• Like 1

So, are you saying that indmar has possibly changed to spur cut gears in their gearboxes on the ford engine instead of using helical cut gears like all the rest? The reason that 911 cup gearbox whines so much is because it has spur cut gears so that they can maximize strength and minimize rotational mass.

A buddy of mine just ordered a 2016 VLX After they demo my 2015 and then the dealer brought the 2016, that was the first thing his wife said, That the 2016 was much louder then my 2015, So we solved the problem and he ordered the boat stereo delete, and went all Exile..LOL yup that will drown out that loud Ford... Honestly I could tell the difference but it by no means would be a deal breaker, I'm very hoppy with my Chevy though and if you can score a great deal on a 15 do it!!