Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Glue issues! Warranty? Swim Platform Material ,Dash and side Emblem Coming off

mattiride

Hello,

I just purchased a used 2013 Wakesetter VLX. I have a few issues I'm noticing now that I put about 100 hours on the boat.

The gray material that is on the swim platform is starting to come off in the corners nearest to the boat. Seems like the water gets underneath and has no wear to drain and has made the glue no longer work. I am afraid this will keep spreading.

Anyone have any ideas besides replacing the entire swim platform material.

Also my Wakesetter emblem on the drivers side on the side of the boat has about a 2' spot that is bent and not sticking to the boat anymore either (cant believe its plastic).

Lastly there is about 2-3 spots on my dash by the glove box with bubbles in them like the glue isn't working behind it. Any suggestions would be great.

I didn't notice these things when I bought the boat!!

Would these things be covered under factory warranty?

@mattride: A good adhesive for the platform material is the 3M 90 spray on adhesive available at places like Home Depot / Lowes. Works very well if you don't get warranty satisfaction.

Another option is gorilla glue, I found the key is to clamp it down tight on as much surface area as possible. I use 2x4 pieces with a clamp.

• 5 months later...

Do  the 3M 90 spray or Gorilla glue do any damage to the swim platform paint?  My pad has peeled up in a few sections.  My plan was to clean it with acetone, then use either of these products to glue it back down.  Any tips?

35 minutes ago, saxton15 said:

Do  the 3M 90 spray or Gorilla glue do any damage to the swim platform paint?  My pad has peeled up in a few sections.  My plan was to clean it with acetone, then use either of these products to glue it back down.  Any tips?

I don't think either will hurt anything.  You might want to look at 3M 98 or contact adhesive.  Contact adhesive will work faster and, with the large surface area you're dealing with, will allow the solvent to evaporate before you put the pad back on the platform.

25 minutes ago, minnmarker said:

I don't think either will hurt anything.  You might want to look at 3M 98 or contact adhesive.  Contact adhesive will work faster and, with the large surface area you're dealing with, will allow the solvent to evaporate before you put the pad back on the platform.

That was my concern.  The surface area is just so big, and I'd rather put more to ensure it doesn't peel back up this season. 

1 hour ago, saxton15 said:

My one concern is when I decide to replace the pad entirely down the road.  How much work will I have to get this stuff off?

Good point.  I think 3M has a phone line where you can ask questions like what kind of solvent will work.  I just replaced my platform pad and the hardest part was getting the fix-up glue off the edges of where the pad was.  Ended up using mineral spirits for the stock adhesive and acetone for the fix-up glue.

Nobody has answered the emblem question for the OP.  I had the dot of the i in Malibu ready to come off of mine.  I pulled it off and am wondering what to use to put it back on.  My dealer told me super glue, but I'm not sure I believe that.  What are the emblems put on with at the factory?  It seems like it has double sided tape on the back but only a small part had any stickiness to it.

The dash pad is a lost cause. I am on my 3rd one, one warrantied, one out of pocket and all 3 had/have a bubble in them somewhere with the heat causing it rise and fall at will. I have just learned to live with it. Some have suggested poking a hole in the bubble area to vent it, I finally just dialed down my OCD! The side graphics on my '10 have thin adhesive which is barely raised above the hull. My "Malibu" stainless logos are screwed on and appear to use double sided adhesive also as they stamd off of the hull a noticeable distance. If your wake setter logo is raised as well I would suggest double sided tape. My stainless rear vent mesh grills were standing way off of the hull even with them being screwed on. I bought some heavy duty double sided tape from 3M and applied it to the grills and it has been holding well for 4 plus years. I am kind of a Marine/Shoe Goo freak and think it would work well for that application. I have used that stuff for years on everything but what it is recommended for and it has worked great. As with any type of paint or glue effort the money is in the prep to get a clean surface for adhesion.

Edited by wdr

The emblems use 3m automotive trim and emblem tape....can be bought at any auto parts store....it is a gray double sided tape.  I can't believe dealer actually said super glue!!!