Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

PTM clamping board racks

Ifinallygota21v

Definitely worth it. It's one of the few things I've spent $$ on in the boat where the wife and kids noticed and tell me NEVER to go back.

What I like best about them is not just the lack of bungees, although that is very nice. It's the fact that BOTH slots are big enough for a surf board and they will not dent your boards like the bungee racks will.

The issue with the bungees is they squeeze the foam core surf boards so tight against the fork that you will get dents. I had this problem on my Ronix Parks Thruster which isn't even a particularly fragile board. I can't imagine putting a Soulcraft in there! With the clamps, you don't have this issue because you can modulate how strong you pull down on the levers. You don't have to crank them down all the way... just enough to keep them while on the water (which isn't much).

Seriously, get the clamp racks. They are one of my favorite things about my boat last year. Even if I went back to a G3 tower, I'd still upgrade to the PTM racks.

• Like 2

If you don't want the extra cost of PTM racks spend $5 on extra shock cord and extend the malibu cords and you will not have any issues with surfboards being dented. It also makes it much easier to hook the cord on the pick points. For some reason Malibu seems to think even the wakeboards need to sinched down extra tight, not really necessary.

Not trying to say the PTM is not a super nice rack but it's a lot of coin for something that just holds a board.

• Like 3

If you don't want the extra cost of PTM racks spend $5 on extra shock cord and extend the malibu cords and you will not have any issues with surfboards being dented. It also makes it much easier to hook the cord on the pick points. For some reason Malibu seems to think even the wakeboards need to sinched down extra tight, not really necessary.

Not trying to say the PTM is not a super nice rack but it's a lot of coin for something that just holds a board.

10$ vs 2400$...

Clamping racks are amazing but a little bit over priced. And if you are worry about dent you can still use the Bimini surf pocket.

I was hesitating about the clamping racks when I pulled the trigger, but I thought it was too expensive for what it is.

If they were an extra 500$ Per side then it will make sense.

Edited by smooky

10$ vs 2400$...

Clamping racks are amazing but a little bit over priced. And if you are worry about dent you can still use the Bimini surf pocket.

I was hesitating about the clamping racks when I pulled the trigger, but I thought it was too expensive for what it is.

Surf pockets are great for the first 2 boards. There are several in my normal crew with soul craft boards. It is very common to have 3 soulcraft boards and a couple of other boards as well. Being able to put premium boards in racks is huge. As IXFE noted having every slot surf or wake is another bonus. It is one of those things that seams like an unnecessary expense, but once you have them going back to bungee would be really hard.

Surf pockets and under the bimini Thule Surf pads work great! I have seen the clamping racks fail to clamp (lock). I like the thought of it but not the simplicity.

I don't think this is a solution IF you have a a G4. Tower speakers go across vs stacked vertically.

10$ vs 2400$...

$2400 for 4 of them or just two?

Just 2

$4800 for 4 racks is ridiculous imo and not even close to being worth it. But I guess everyone has there priorities of what they like while on the water. I also wonder about the splines on the PTM racks, they look like they can't accommodate as thick of a surf board as the upper fixed racks? And when you have 4 ptm racks do they clear the bindings when stacking wakeboards in-between the upper and lower racks? They don't look like they made the upper PTM racks more angled upward like they did the with the fixed upper rack. Could be totally wrong on this but it appears to look this way.

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...

FMAN -- What size shock cord would you recommend getting? Would it be a replacement cord or do you loop it on the existing cord? My cords get supper tight and the kids hate strapping them down. Thanks!

If anyone doesnt want to pay the $2400 for the clampling racks and wants a extra set of the factory Malibu swivel racks, let me know ( polished from a 2014 ) I am selling a set.

• Like 1

FMAN -- What size shock cord would you recommend getting? Would it be a replacement cord or do you loop it on the existing cord? My cords get supper tight and the kids hate strapping them down. Thanks!

I picked mine up at REI, I do not know the size of them but I am sure you can find something at REI to match up. It might be 1/8", check out the link I found on Amazon - plenty of options out there.

http://www.amazon.com/Paracord-Planet-Shock-Various-Colors/dp/B00HAMI5RQ/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1451316584&sr=8-3&keywords=shock+cord

Edited by Fman
  • 3 weeks later...

For those of you looking to extend your bungee I bought some "bungee by the foot" on the DIY wake.com site for $2/ft. You can't even tell it's not factory (lol). I put some on my buddy's boat too for one of his big boards. Both of us are 2 years in on them and they are working fine. If you don't like it, just swap the originals back on. Those clamping racks look awesome though! Cool to hear they fit surf boards...I was wondering about that!

Edited by Picklefork24

$4800 for 4 racks is ridiculous imo and not even close to being worth it. But I guess everyone has there priorities of what they like while on the water. I also wonder about the splines on the PTM racks, they look like they can't accommodate as thick of a surf board as the upper fixed racks? And when you have 4 ptm racks do they clear the bindings when stacking wakeboards in-between the upper and lower racks? They don't look like they made the upper PTM racks more angled upward like they did the with the fixed upper rack. Could be totally wrong on this but it appears to look this way.

They will not accommodate super thick boards. My soulcraft is extra thick 1.75" vs the standard 1.5" and it barely fits. I checked 2 wake boards in the center two spots over this weekend and they did fit however you lose the spin function.

• 2 years later...

Resurrecting an old thread.  Do they clamp independently?  If I have a soulcraft board and a kids wakeboard, will they both get clamped tight enough to stay in the slots or do they only tighten as tight as the thickest board will allow?

2 hours ago, JeffK said:

Resurrecting an old thread.  Do they clamp independently?  If I have a soulcraft board and a kids wakeboard, will they both get clamped tight enough to stay in the slots or do they only tighten as tight as the thickest board will allow?

Yes

if you have a thick surfboard and a thin wakeboard the clamp tension allows for each clamp to independently apply the desired pressure regardless of the difference in thickness 

35 minutes ago, Stevo said:

Yes

if you have a thick surfboard and a thin wakeboard the clamp tension allows for each clamp to independently apply the desired pressure regardless of the difference in thickness 

If you're looking at new racks, I'd highly recommend looking at the Roswell Triton racks.  They're vertical with huge openings so they accommodate almost any board.  More importantly you don't have the risk of clamping on the surface of your SC boards like you do with the clamping racks.  I put them on my new Supra SL and I think they are a big improvement.  We had the clamping racks for the first few months and honestly never used them for anything other than hanging wetsuits and life jackets to dry.  We use the Triton racks constantly.  The other nice thing is that they drip outside the boat.  I'm not sure if they have the adaptors for the malibu towers so that'd be something you'd have to check.

13 minutes ago, pedel said:

If you're looking at new racks, I'd highly recommend looking at the Roswell Triton racks.  They're vertical with huge openings so they accommodate almost any board.  More importantly you don't have the risk of clamping on the surface of your SC boards like you do with the clamping racks.  I put them on my new Supra SL and I think they are a big improvement.  We had the clamping racks for the first few months and honestly never used them for anything other than hanging wetsuits and life jackets to dry.  We use the Triton racks constantly.  The other nice thing is that they drip outside the boat.  I'm not sure if they have the adaptors for the malibu towers so that'd be something you'd have to check.

I saw those, but was worried with the boards vertical that they would obstruct my vision.  I'm not worried about keeping an eye on the rider, but some jack-hat sneaking into my blind spot while I am towing the kids.