Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Tow Vehicles - SUV's

Tags

We swapped out our Suburban for an Explorer Sport a few years ago. Ecoboost 3.5 TT is just a torque beast. It towed our old 23 XTI and our current VLX very easily. Just crossed 52K miles without any issues. Fast, quiet, 3rd row, AWD, giant sunroof, solid factory audio system, good economy (when not towing).

Would be interested to hear your guys take comparing the Yukon Denali to the Toyota Land Cruiser.

I just purchased a 2012 Yukon Denali with 6.2. Haven't had a chance to pull with it yet, but honestly, I am looking forward to it! Will post back when the weather gets warm enough here in Wyoming to even think about getting the Malibu out.

Edited by 7lazy77
  • 1 month later...

Update!

We ended up trading the GL on a 2016 Range Rover Sport. 7700lbs tow capacity and plenty of power. We're hoping to take the Malibu out sometime in the next week or two and i'll post an update on how it towed.

• 5 years later...
On 11/10/2015 at 7:36 AM, shawndoggy said:

remember that those tow ratings are developed for pulling around flat areas at sea level. So if you were just towing around the central valley/delta you'd be fine. But if you plan to pull to the mountain lakes at altitude, you are going to want to increase your tow rating by .5 again. Also... third row... does this mean you'll be towing with kids / a big crew? The MDX's 5000 lb tow rating declines with passengers and gear, as explained quite well in the Acura owner's manual:

http://i824.photobucket.com/albums/zz166/shawndoggy/Screen%20Shot%202015-11-10%20at%205.34.07%20AM_zpsxubvdkay.png

Having done the tows around the mountain lakes and over Donner with an SUV full of kids, I wouldn't want anything smaller than a full sized SUV, though I'll admit to being intrigued by a Q7 tdi.

This is not true as far as the tow ratings go. Look up the SAE J2807 towing standard. All cars are put through this test and the test is preformed in the mountains. 

http://www.trucktrend.com/how-to/towing/1502-sae-j2807-tow-tests-the-standard

I know I'm 6 years late but I came here looking for first hand towing with a GX 460 and this was at the top of the list.

This is my new favorite feature of the most recent forum update

5yearsLater.jpg

I've towed with a GX460 twice a year - about 10 miles each time.  As SUV's go it works well, especially if you have the air suspension.

Edited by oldjeep