Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Sunscape 20 LSV 2012

uliwake

hi , we are considering two options to join the malibu family . a Sunscape 20 LSV 2012 with factory ballast, maliview, touch command, LCR engine 350 hp ,less than 100 hrs, plug n play, power wedge, wakesetter graphics and wake tower , I have tried to google videos but not much there in the net, about wake shape , main use will be wake board and surf wake . Unluckily am expat and where we leave there are no many options .

Second option but 30% more expensive , is Axis A22 2013 , with Monsoon 409S engine (150hrs) , vandall edition . A22 found enough in the net about wake shape , but price is high compare to LSV .

Both of them have salt water package .

How different are wakes between these models ? 80% of the time we go 4 to 5 people .

Summary is we are looking for serious step up , so my son can progress with his wakeboarding . Our actual boat is sterndrive cahaparral sunesta 224 , has been amazing boat so far pretty good wake for sterndrive .

I will really appreciate your feedback . Last consideration , is where we live there is no malibu workshop or dealer , only standard marine mechanics , how are these boats and engines maintenance

Thanks

Ricardo

Hello,

First off, with a crew of 4 to 5, I would vote for the A22 due to the extra space. It will get cramped with that many people shuffling around in the 20' when switching riders. It's always better to have too much space than not enough. The Sunscape probably comes with the cut diamond hull versus the wake hull. it could have been specially ordered on the wake hull, the owner should know. The wake hull will give you a slightly better wake shape and size. The A22 is a wake beast. That thing throws a very nice wake. This can handle more weight for surfing too. Does the vandall have plug n play too? IMO, the 409 isn't that much of an upgrade over the 350. You'd see a big difference if you went to the LS3 engine.

If you have experience working on V8's, the maintenance is pretty easy. There are plenty of videos showing how to winterize the engine and ballast system pending your climate that you live in, change the oil and tranny fluid, change the impeller, and whatever else may arise. If you have marine mechanics in the area, they should be able to help you if needed. Hope this helps

Thanks for your help !!

Yes it does come with plug N play . Clima is extremely hot in summer (air temp as well water temp) , winter is warm , very salty conditions . Boat to be used all year around !!

Just based on the pricing alone....I'd take the Malibu. Now if the Axis had surfgate that'd probably be a #gamechanger, but all things considered, for your size crew and what you're coming from I think you'd be very happy in either boat, so why not get the one with the nicer finishes and save a good amount. Put that difference towards upgrades, ballast/aftermarket gate setup, etc. BTW, I love my Axis, so really you can't go wrong.

I wouldn't be concerned with 4-5 people in a 2012 Sunscape 20 - for all practical purposes it is the same boat as my 2012 VTX and we have 4-5 people in there with plenty of room left over. With the options you listed it sounds like you got a VTX with Sunscape name plates on it ;) SO if you are looking for info on wake shape/etc then look at peoples information on the VTX which is much more common than the Sunscape badged boats.

Edited by oldjeep

Have you been able to find any Sunscape 20 LSV 2012's for sale? I have not been able to find any for sale. Could you point me to some websites if you know of some? The lake I plan to be moving to has a lot of restrictions, but the Sunscape is approved. I currently own the VLX and love it, but it is too large for the lake rules.

Have you been able to find any Sunscape 20 LSV 2012's for sale? I have not been able to find any for sale. Could you point me to some websites if you know of some? The lake I plan to be moving to has a lot of restrictions, but the Sunscape is approved. I currently own the VLX and love it, but it is too large for the lake rules.

Out of curiosity - is the VTX approved? Same boat except that the Sunscape ballast is optional.

Out of curiosity - is the VTX approved? Same boat except that the Sunscape ballast is optional.

It is not approved because the weight on the VTX is 100lbs heavier (3,200# is the limit). Although it may be something the board and lake committee would consider.

It is not approved because the weight on the VTX is 100lbs heavier (3,200# is the limit). Although it may be something the board and lake committee would consider.

Couple things - according to this a sunscape weighs 3300 and a VTX weighs 3500

http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index.php?/page/specs/2012.html

If I had to guess I'd say because the base vtx has more stuff on it than a base sunscape. Realistically any sunscape you find is going to weigh more than even the stated 3300lbs.