Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Intro...questions

NCSurfing

Hey guys - pleasure to meet everyone. I'm new to the forum...just sold my 06 Supra 24SSV. Main reason I sold is that I tried wake surfing this summer off the back of a neighbors wakesetter and loved it (I'm 44 so until then, I was an old school slalom skier). I tried surfing on mine and no matter what I tried, it wouldn't work. Moreover, I was floored by the quality of his Malibu and was sold on making a move and am ready to pull the trigger. For additional context, I've got a 12 yo who enjoys wake boarding and an 8 yo who says he wants to start next summer - and both also want to surf.

So...I've narrowed it down to a 22 MXZ or 23 LSV. There's a local deal on a '13 22 MXZ which has surf gate that I am keen to move on as I love the colors, it's pretty well loaded and the price is right. However, after spending hours here on the forum, it appears the consensus is that the LSV is the better surfing boat. Given that I'm a starter and my kids will be as well, would I be making the wrong choice? Last bit of context....I keep boats 3-4 yrs and then trade. We cruise more than anything, we're on a lake that sees very little traffic and we never have more than 8 on the boat.

All opinions appreciated!

• Like 2
ahopkins22LSV

Both will surf good. I can't speak to the wakeboard wakes though. LSV will have a lot more room in the cabin with a much smaller bow than the MXZ. Personally I would go with the LSV because I like the styling much more and would rather have more space in the cabin. If you are cruising a lot, I would think more space in the cabin would work better.

How many enjoy riding in the bow, is the real question? We usually have anywhere from 3-6 kids on board and as soon as they jump in the boat, they all head up front. Swore I would never own a pickle fork but the room is amazing up there and won't change for awhile.

DSCN0965_zpselibre3a.jpg

• Like 2

What lake are you on in NC that sees very little traffic?

Kerr Lake. Over 800 miles of shoreline, which the corp owns so development is limited. Sucks if you like a social lake with restaurants, etc however, IMO it's the best kept secret in the southeast if you like water sports!

I was in a similar situation last year, but i was coming from a sterndrive. We went with an LSV, and couldn't be happier.

We did a lot of crusing in the old boat, but our use has changed. EVERYONE wants to surf now, and do it all the time. For the last 10 years with our old boat we averaged about 65 hours/year. We did 155 hours this year because the boat no longer sits.

• Like 1