Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

It is 2015 right?

tn_rider

Or they're trying something new, different, something that may open a new market somewhere else. Yet without anyone seeing one, riding in one or riding behind one we're saying what????? How do we improve the sport? How do we move forward? How do we make things better without changing or challenging the normal?

I don't mean to go on a rant here but geez for a bunch of guys owning and riding behind some of the best state of the art boats the market has to offer up today, it's hard to believe the obtuse comments with so little knowledge about the product or the market it's intended to serve. I don't know if this is a good idea or what but at least take a minute to think of the possibility of change. Or perhaps you'd like a carberated plywood boat from the 60's to ski behind instead. Then again I could be completely wrong........ :biggrin:

Or they're trying something new, different, something that may open a new market somewhere else. Yet without anyone seeing one, riding in one or riding behind one we're saying what????? How do we improve the sport? How do we move forward? How do we make things better without changing or challenging the normal?

I don't mean to go on a rant here but geez for a bunch of guys owning and riding behind some of the best state of the art boats the market has to offer up today, it's hard to believe the obtuse comments with so little knowledge about the product or the market it's intended to serve. I don't know if this is a good idea or what but at least take a minute to think of the possibility of change. Or perhaps you'd like a carberated plywood boat from the 60's to ski behind instead. Then again I could be completely wrong........ :biggrin:

Talked to a friend of mine last night who is an MC engineer who has been working on it. Emerging market is the target, I was surprised to hear him say they thought Australia would be a potentially big market for it. Relatively low investment, it is just a 20 NXT, even mostly the same molds are used with additional reinforcement for the engine. I asked how much they were hoping to sell, guessing a couple hundred. He kind of shrugged/nodded, and said "yeah, probably."

And hey, don't knock the '64 Chris Craft behind which I learned to ski!!!

No, I have not. But I know what the hull looks like and what this was intended for. It is not going to produce a good slalom or BF wave. Unless they changed the hull for this outboard version.

Not a bad theory. I still have people who know just enough about water sports and when they hear I slalom and have a boat their first question is, "Is it a Mastercraft?" Their name is still huge.

They were developing that boat to have an even lower priced option.

ahopkins22LSV

They were developing that boat to have an even lower priced option.

Have you seen the costs of outboards? They aren't cheap as Ndawg mentioned. I wouldn't be surprised that this is still about the same price as a normal NXT.

Disaster. They didn't even make the development costs back.

Interestingly enough, the schools loved the boats. Great visibility for seeing everything.

You do realize that hull was the most popular hull in the MC line for several years, right?? They definitely made their development costs back on that......

You do realize that hull was the most popular hull in the MC line for several years, right?? They definitely made their development costs back on that......

No they didn't. I was there.

I will say that it wasn't as bad as the 300 debacle though.

Edited by 23LSVOwner

Have you seen the costs of outboards? They aren't cheap as Ndawg mentioned. I wouldn't be surprised that this is still about the same price as a normal NXT.

You would be surprised at the discount that manufacturers get on outboards.

Rigging and the outboard vs an inboard V8, transmission, and v-drive. The outboard will win out on lower price.

I wouldn't want one but can see the benefit of a boat like this, especially in shallow or salt water. Having skied behind an outboard, I'll pass. The engine really gets in the way of lines entry. I don't see this selling much to water sports people (unless again they are in salt water). This makes me think of the old fling it at the wall and see if it sticks marketing.

And the center console MC from years ago, noble intention, but rough riding hull for off shore use. Maybe lake fisher??

Probably but who says that savings is passed on? Have you seen the upcharge for the LSA? It's higher than I could imagine the motor even costing.

The lack of objective thought of the people here is comical.

It is the next best wakeboard out there? No.

Is it designed to replace the X-star or even the regular NXT-20? No.

It's simply another attempt for a new market for their boats. Maybe they got feedback from coastal customers who want a less expensive wakeboard boat, that works well in salt water (IE outboards). If the fail, they fail. If it succeeds and proves to be a marketable boat, then all others will be copying the concept.

You either innovate and try new things, or you die.

Edited by Indyxc
  • Like 3

CSX220 hull is the exact same hull used on the X25......

Deck, console, upholstery, tower, stringer, electrical, etc. More costs than just the hull.

There was also more than one CSX model.

Edited by 23LSVOwner

Lower cost saltwater wakeboat. They make a pretty good saltwater package already but I can definitely see the appeal to someone living on a brackish or salt river with tides and no boat lift. You would want to be able to trim up so you don't churn up as much mud if you let a little too much tide go out. That's a lot of space in that interior and a lot of room for weight. I would probably want at least a 300 on there though.

Deck, console, upholstery, tower, stringer, electrical, etc. More costs than just the hull.

There was also more than one CSX model.

Go back and look at my post..... I said "the hull", not the whole boat. Oh... And the stringers are the same as well.

Folks might be surprised to learn how dirt cheap these V8 engines are at the OEM (i.e. Ford or GM) level. The outgoing Monsoon probably cost GM well under $1000*. The new Ford, and probably the naturally aspirated LS engines are probably $1500 or so at the OEM level. Not sure what it costs Indmar to do their conversion bits, but I'm sure it is very little. I think the turbocharged engines get up to $3500. But none of that really matters that much......it is what tthe market thinks of it that matters. That's what sets the price. And at all levels. Just because the mac-daddy supercharged Cadillac engine may only cost a few thousand bucks for GM to make doesn't mean your dealer makes an extra $15K on the $18K upcharge. And conversely, there are going to be a lot of things that the manufacturers have to put in that the market won't value at the level that the OEM's have to put in. Catalytic converters may be the biggest example.

*This is based on how we costed things when I was at Ford. That basically only the variable cost, which is the cost of all of the components at the assembly line. Parts that are machined in the plant do capture that cost. But it does not account for all of the overhead cost. Our old 4.6L 2V was right around $1000.......which was actually less expensive than the GM pushrod engines or the Hemi. We had an old marine V6 block in our storage area, and I assure you that the cost that went into it far exceeded what goes into a typical automotive based V8. Now as it comes from Mercury Marine directly, rather than through a retrofitter, some cost is saved there. But overall, I would expect the outboard to be substantially more expensive to manufacture than the V8's........not that that reflects transaction prices.

Also on the hull/stringer/etc. stuff. I think the key in my mind is more investment than piece cost, and I would expect that if the hull is the same, the most expensive investmetn (the mold for it) is eliminated.

Edited by 67King

This was posted on Team Talk.

Hey Team Talkers –

Starting today on MasterCraft social media and Team Talk you will see some behind the scene images of our newest addition to the NXT line – the NXT20 Global Edition (which will officially be ready in January). All of you will immediately notice that the NXT20 Global Edition is powered by an outboard. As such, we wanted to post on Team Talk why we are extending the NXT20 product line in this way.

The NXT20 Global Edition has been designed with the MasterCraft international community in mind. In many of the emerging markets we serve around the world, these customers are water enthusiasts who want the quality, performance and crossover functionality of a traditional MasterCraft but live where outboard propulsion is prevalent and preferred (mainly due to the water they have access to). So we are introducing the NXT20 Global Edition where legendary MasterCraft watersports performance meets outboard propulsion. It starts with one of the best crossover hulls, mixes in a costal deck layout and then adds the power, speed and shallow water capabilities of an outboard. Ready for coastal recreation and with a perfect pedigree for skiing, wakeboarding, tubing and barefooting, the NXT20 Global Edition brings the fun to coastal waters in a big way.

So stay tuned. You will see more of this boat, especially since we will be introducing it to our dealers at the upcoming MasterCraft Dealer Meeting.

Jason

I loved my old outboard barefoot boat. It was a 1990 Ski Centurion Barefoot Falcon (not the more common Warrior). It had a 200 Yamaha on the back. That boat footed and slalomed better than anything I have skied behind since. The table was flat and smooth and the wakes were well defined at footing speeds and wake was butter soft and small at slalom speeds. I could trim out the motor and get over 50 mph out of it even with a boat load full of people. I have been contemplating replacing my Response LX with a Dyna Ski Family Skier just becuase of how much I enjoyed my last outboard. I am gonna be taking a look at this Mastercraft as soon as it hits the dealerships.