Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

It is 2015 right?

tn_rider

The *right* outboard boats can ski very well and have smaller (yet some times firmer) wakes than the current tournament boat offerings. Tracking can be a challenge but I feel that's partly the driver and the older outboard ski boats didn't have power assisted steering that is available today.

I really don't think this is a bad idea. Pontoons are taking over the lakes here in Michigan due to the layout and the ability for a more social experience on the water (more passenger space). This *could* steel market share from a few manufactures and not just outboard runabouts.

My first favorite tournament boat was a 17 foot outboard. Flat wake and you could move it where you wanted it. My second favorite was a dual 125 custom made outboard. It held you better in the turns. The Hydrodynes with dual outboards were also pretty good with way flat wakes. That was before manufacturers figured out that flat wakes were actually good (1972). Our later 1977 Nautique had a nasty rooster tail at 15' off and crossing the wake was like hitting a wall at any speed and rope length.

ahopkins22LSV

Just because it's an outboard does not mean it's going to be good at slalom or footing. I would think it's on the same hull as the regular nxt. Which means it's not going to be good for either slalom or footing regardless of propulsion.

Just because it's an outboard does not mean it's going to be good at slalom or footing. I would think it's on the same hull as the regular nxt. Which means it's not going to be good for either slalom or footing regardless of propulsion.

Have you slalomed or bf'd an nxt? I must have missed where someone claimed it would be a great slalom boat?

Personally it seems like a boat no one is asking for. I can't think of any one thing it would do well.

Edited by Pnwrider

A lot of assumptions going on without even seeing it in person. Like BU MC is a great boat builder. You may not like them (for whatever Ford Versus Chevy reason) but they do a good job with R&D, have a good product and have been hitting the sweet spot of the market pretty well lately.

Boating in other countries is quite different than here and running an inboard V8 can be very expensive/challenging both from a replacement parts and environmental perspective. In saltwater outboards make maintenance and choice in propulsion packages very appealing. I'm fairly certain high end resorts in warmer climates would be interested in something like this too.

The proof would be in a test ride but I doubt any of us are going to get one soon. For me it wouldn't work as I'm more interested in surfing these days. I did however see a concept of a forward drive outboard once that may solve that issue though.

• Like 2

There is another possibility here also, maybe Mastercraft is catering to customers who don't care about the wake. Just buying because of the name or whatever. The outboard version would allow you to go >50 mph with needing >500 horsepower.

My opinion is that MC is getting away from the serious water sports and doesn't care about having the best wake/wave machine around. They are targeting a "pleasure boater" market. Which is not necessarily a bad thing. Someone's gotta do it.

ahopkins22LSV

Have you slalomed or bf'd an nxt? I must have missed where someone claimed it would be a great slalom boat?

Personally it seems like a boat no one is asking for. I can't think of any one thing it would do well.

No, I have not. But I know what the hull looks like and what this was intended for. It is not going to produce a good slalom or BF wave. Unless they changed the hull for this outboard version.

There is another possibility here also, maybe Mastercraft is catering to customers who don't care about the wake. Just buying because of the name or whatever. The outboard version would allow you to go >50 mph with needing >500 horsepower.

My opinion is that MC is getting away from the serious water sports and doesn't care about having the best wake/wave machine around. They are targeting a "pleasure boater" market. Which is not necessarily a bad thing. Someone's gotta do it.

Not a bad theory. I still have people who know just enough about water sports and when they hear I slalom and have a boat their first question is, "Is it a Mastercraft?" Their name is still huge.

the end of that arkansas / ole miss game (backward hail mary) looked pretty crazy. Tough way to lose at home, but great reason too watch!

I'm guessing that was supposed to be in the CFB thread and not the Mastercraft with an outboard thread?