Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2013 22 MXZ Question

pauley71

I'm looking at a local boat that seems to be priced really well and has a third party transferrable extended warranty until mid-2018. I currently have a 2003 Mastercraft X30 and just looking to move up to a newer boat with more options. The MXZ has 120hrs, 350SS, 4 tower speakers, dual batteries, surfgate, cargo bimini, LED docking/transom, etc.. Seems pretty loaded for the year and sits on a nice tricked out trailer.

That said, my boat is 22'8" but very "pointy". I know I will get more bow room but the cabin will be pushed back a little. The beam is 102" vs. my 98" so that's huge. Anything else that should be considered or I should know about this boat? Issues or problems with the model? I know it has a great wakeboard wake but the surf is not as good as the 23 LSV. I've been looking at 23LSVs also but this boat is local and cheaper. While the 23 LSV is larger, we have a large dock on the water so rarely have a full boat b/c folks stay back on the dock and hang. Also the older LSVs don't have the nice seating in the back like the newer ones.

I can get a 2015 23 LSV for 15k more but its pretty stripped and its 15k :P

I have a 2013 20 MXZ and my family loves it. My son and my wife, along with our dog love to cruise around in the bow.

My 20 foot boat actually surfs quite well with Surf Gate. I am assuming the 22 you are looking at has the plug and play ballast bags in the rear lockers? You did not say and that is an important option.

I also keep 400 pounds of steel shot in my boat. The 20 MXZ has an anchor compartment in the front and does not have the boarding ladder like the 22 MXZ. I keep some steel shot in the anchor compartment to help keep the bow down at surf speeds.

The only option I added to my boat by myself was the factory GPS cruise control system. This made huge difference with holding the boat speed at surfing speeds.

I actually like the 2013 dash, it's not as fancy as the 2015 fully touchscreen dash, but my dash is functional.

The 2013 will have the regular Power Wedge. The newer Power Wedge II is better at shaping the wave. I tested a 2015 22 VLX and the Power Wedge II worked well.

Hope this helps a little.

Just joined as I have been looking to make a purchase and I don't think anything out there compares to a Malibu. That looks like a great deal...do you know anything about it?

Edited by NCSurfing

Just joined as I have been looking to make a purchase and I don't think anything out there compares to a Malibu. That looks like a great deal...do you know anything about it?

I took it out a few times to check it out, runs perfect! It was run on a private lake in VA and appears only stock or no ballast, the rear PNP's have never been hooked up.

I took it out a few times to check it out, runs perfect! It was run on a private lake in VA and appears only stock or no ballast, the rear PNP's have never been hooked up.

I appreciate the context...would you recommend it to a family of 4 that likes to cruise, a dad who just took up wake surfing and 2 kids who like to wakeboard and want to try surfing? I just came out of a Supra 24 SSV...

NCSailing, I just saw your other thread and could respond on either. I think the 22 will do everything you've described and more. Like others have stated the 23 will have more cabin space, but kids always migrate to the bow when cruising. You certain can demo both, but the price on this 22 is going to put it significantly less. I owned my 22MXZ before surf gate and we primarily wakeboarded, but after taking this 22 out I have new perspective on the 22 as a surf boat, Awesome and I love the styling!