Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2003 Diamond hull vs 2004 Wake hulls on 23 LSV

Gavin17

Won't the diamond hull ski better at all line lengths?

I was wanting the best wake board wake and it sounds like the 2004 wake hull is way better than the other. If they were close I'd go with the cheaper boat but I think I need to negotiate the 2004 down a bit so its more in my budget. The 2004 is mechanically sound but it's not perfect. The interior really needs scrubbed and it needs a cover.

What exactly are the issues with the 2003 diamond? Is the wake too wide or too mellow or too small? Maybe too soft?

Either way I can't wait to drive the 8.1L.

Really the big difference in the wake and diamond hulls is the lifting strakes on the rear edge of the hull in the diamond hull. It's designed to lift the hull at skiing speeds to help create a flatter and softer wake. It's not designed to lift at surfing speeds so there is really not much difference there. It will lift some at wake boarding speeds and will effect the wake but with the wedge and ballast you can get a workable wake. You can ski either hull. It will depend on what you really want from the boat. Both will do the same thing. One will ski a little better, the other will make a bigger wake for wake boarding or surfing. We surfed Diamond hulls for years before the wake hulls were introduced. It worked for us then and there are still people that use the diamond hull for board sports. It's far from impossible to do. Honestly IMO, if you're seriously considering a boat for mostly skiing, you should be looking at a smaller boat like the Response or the 2001 era of the VLX as a cross over boat. If you need the space of the 23' boats and really want a cross over boat, you will need to decide what your main sports will be. The LSV is a very popular boat and it only came to be this popular after 2004 when it was changed to the wake hull and the width of the boat was pushed out. Before 2004 it was a Luxury Cruiser that could be ordered with some "Wakeboard" options like a tower and ballast sack. Still a poser of sorts but it was marketed that way with some success. Still Not a wakeboard styled boat. The sport boats were the VLX, Response and Sportster. Still today the market will hold better for the later model LSV's after 2004. Few people want a hull that is designed for skiing in that big of a boat.

A little cleaning and a cover would not stop me from getting the later model boat if it would work for you. The only reason I would suggest the earlier model boat is if you ski Most of the time. Other wise for a little free skiing and mostly board sports, go with the later model. This is said considering the boats are mechanically and cosmetically in the same condition.

I'm wakwmitch's dad and we still have a 2003 LSV. It does everything we need including provide a nice surf wake when listed properly. I like the fact that I can get a soft enough wake at 32mph for some aggressive slalom skiing (not course quality but neither am I ). Unless you want to ski behind it I'd go with the newer boat. Even though my boat has good space, you will appreciate the extra comfort of the additional space in the newer boats. The smaller motor is similar to mine and the Acme 1235 handles the ballast needed for nice listed wake (not sure it'd handle added ballast necessary for wake convergence aka surfgate).

• 5 months later...

I figured I'd update my old thread.  We got the 2004 out of storage yesterday.  I've got a few spring projects planned while we wait for the water to warm up.  We're going to love this boat! 

new-boat-day2.jpg

Last year I bought an 04' LSV and I'll +1 for how easy it is to remove the hard tanks.  I swapped with 1100# bags and the tank buster kit from wakemakers .... took maybe 30 mins for everything.  Our 04' has the hammerhead and I think we need a different prop when trying to run ballast as full as it can get and a few people.

Can't speak to the 03' but I love ours and am glad I bought it (I was strongly considering sticking with our 95' Super Sport Nautique).... ours was also a screaming deal, too good not to pass up.

EDIT - NM - revived old thread, ENJOY!

Edited by sidekicknicholas