Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Malibu trailer alternative? 2000 VLX Wakesetter

Off2wildblue

I just bought a 2000 VLX Wakesetter and the trailer is rusted out so bad that it is now unsafe. There are holes everywhere and it needs replaced.

I will have the boat on a lift most of the time and I still have to buy a lift for the dock. So I really don't want to spend 6000-8000 on a Malibu trailer. The dealer suggested a Magic Tilt TCA 2252. I am not sure that one would actually work. I haven't seen a pic of it. I worry about the prop, rudder and shaft hitting the trailer.

Can anyone help me out and give me some alternatives or have you used or seen this one?

Thanks,

SAM

6-8K seems silly high considering I was quoted $5500 for a brand new single axle for my VTX 2 years ago. There are plenty of cheaper trailers out there - Phoenix is one that comes to mind. They look pretty crappy next to a Boatmate, but the local Mastercraft dealer sells them, so how bad could they be.

Other than that there are a lot of the normal mass market trailer MFG that make bolt together inboard/vdrive trailers.

Loadrite:

https://www.loadrite.com/SkiBoatInboardTrailers.php

Roadking:

http://www.roadkingtrailers.com/RKSB.html

Ezloader has an inboard option

http://www.ezloader.com/adjustable/trailers/tandem/

Edited by oldjeep
  • 9 months later...
16 hours ago, oldjeep said:

Damn hard to find a good used 14 year old boat trailer.  Even if people never used them they have typically been sitting outside rotting.

SV23 V-drive hull was built through 2008.  My 15 year old trailer is in great shape...I am not selling it!

6 hours ago, Nitrousbird said:

SV23 V-drive hull was built through 2008.  My 15 year old trailer is in great shape...I am not selling it!

My inlaws 2004 Response trailer is basically rotting to pieces, sits outside in the yard empty all spring/summer/fall like so many lift boat trailers.

• 3 weeks later...

I am getting a custom trailer done for my 247 (2007) templated from my rusted out eagle for 4500 Canadian taxes in. 3 week turn around.

crazy eh! Compared to 10k for the Malibu trailer. 

To be fair it is galvanized c channel, but painted black. Included in price is dual axle, 4 brake (electric ... Yes I know to unplug before water). Plus all led lighting steps in front like the new Malibu trailers, rear steps, guide posts, 4 bunk, backup floodlights, heavy duty 2 stage winch, and heavy duty fulsome jack. No swing tongue.  He is using my old rims and tires (1 year old 15").

i wasnt going for fancy ... But functional.

i was surprised. I went looking for trailers and for both new and used. Crazy expensive here. Talked to a company that makes them. If he has the old trailer he uses it to replicate it exactly, and he fits the boat to the trailer, so I'm saving fees where the dealer was going to need to do that if I ordered from anywhere else.

Maybe there is someone in your area that can do this as well?? Luckily my dealer loaned me a slip at the marina (go Hurst Marina)

my guy is just 15 min north of the US boarder (NY). No idea re import issues if that may help u.