Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Semantics - I/O called "ski" or "Wake" boats?

67King

+1. All I wanted to know is what the general consensus was of what people expected when someone said they had a "ski" or "wake" boat. And now I'm a snob to some folks because a Jon Boat with an eye bolt attached to the transom that pulled a well trained squirrel once isn't what I think of as a "ski boat" and I'm not a snob enough for others, because I don't call mine a "Acme Certified, Milky Way Galaxy Class, Competition Caliber, Mac-Daddy Tow Marine Vessel." Like politics.....if you're in the middle, you get run over by both sides!!! :lightning:

You asked the question and I provided the answer of what your boat is.. stating your boat is a "wake boat" because of its drive system is wrong... the dd and vd system are used on cross platform of boats and wake or ski boats that are AWSA certified use multiple platforms of drive systems....

By webster definition.. a ski boat is a boat that pulls a skier.

I am no snob by any means and I will ride behind anything that will pull me up. I have owned stern drives and don't care what another person owns... if he is happy than that is fine with me....

When I go out... I only announce I am taking the boat out...

I never said you are a snob or not not snobbish enough.... was just stating the facts of what your boat actually is and what makes it different from other ski boats

sorry if it offended you but I was providing your answer.

Edited by kerpluxal

You asked the question and I provided the answer of what your boat is.. stating your boat is a "wake boat" because of its drive system is wrong... the dd and vd system are used on cross platform of boats and wake or ski boats that are AWSA certified use multiple platforms of drive systems....

By webster definition.. a ski boat is a boat that pulls a skier.

I am no snob by any means and I will ride behind anything that will pull me up. I have owned stern drives and don't care what another person owns... if he is happy than that is fine with me....

When I go out... I only announce I am taking the boat out...

I never said you are a snob or not not snobbish enough.... was just stating the facts of what your boat actually is and what makes it different from other ski boats

sorry if it offended you but I was providing your answer.

It is a good thing I type with my hands, rather than my tongue, or it would be very difficult to reply, given that my tongue was so deeply planted in my cheek that I would ahve needed surgery to remove it. I really, honestly, did not feel I could have been more blatant in my sarcasm. I think my dog would have been able to detect that (but to be fair, she is one of the breeds considered most intelligent). But hey, that's another one! I tell jokes.....but that doens't make me a comedian. And by the way.....before you go off and quote Webster, you should actually do your homework. Turns out that "ski boat" isn't even listed IN Webster's, http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/suggestions/ski+boat.%C2'> But by your assertion of Webster, this is a ski boat:

I went on to find a couple of links from boating related publications that pretty well defined things like I expected. Not that I cared, but apparently using generally accepted terminology upsets some people. Not that that even matters matters, but perhaps you didn't understand my original question (which is my fault for not being clear). I was asking what people think of when another person tells you in conversation that they have a "ski boat." And the reason I thought to use the drive layout is because the context of the question was related to advising a person to list their "ski boat" on onlyinboards.com. Yes, I was mistaken in recommending that to him before I asked him to tell me exactly what kind of ski boat he has. And not that it matters, but all the points you brought up had been thoroughly flushed out by the time you jumped in. Sheesh, I even mentioned the exact scenario you bought up when I said I learned to ski behind a (direct drive!) Chris Craft that we never called a ski boat. Maybe try reading some of the responses first?

I can't believe this topic has created such a ruckus...

I would say 90% of the people I know (including guests on my boat) don't even know the difference between and inboard and an I/O, let alone care.

In my mind. When someone says they have a ski boat, i tend to have a very broad view of what that could be. A narrow view of what its not. I tend to see in my mind an i/o, or an inboard. I cancel out pontoon. Bass boat, cuddy and deck boats. I guess its because i owned an i/o for so long that i just equate those with water sports and cruising. I just get all excited when someone owns something other than a paddle boat, sail, cruiser or fishing boat that im good to go. Hen i ask more questions and since ive used both i/o and inboard, i can telate to both. This is a fun conversation by the way. All sorts of ways to look at things. Where i have a problem now is that people look up to me because i now own a pretty nice water sports boat. Its like they think they cant hang with me since they own something less. One guy i talked to was a bit stand offish since he is looking for his first boat and he could only afford 12k tops. I had to trmind him that my first boat cost 3k and i kept it for 15 or so years before i could step it up

Maybe try reading some of the responses first?

You asked for opinions, we gave them. You don't like them & pop off with wise a** comments regarding the answers you don't like. Call it whatever you want. So be it. I'm out.

• Like 2

I would say 90% of the people I know (including guests on my boat) don't even know the difference between and inboard and an I/O, let alone care.

I say probably half on mine don't. They will ask about the trim at one point or another.

Some of those little Baja boats are out boards and I would say they are ski boats, they really where just made to make a small wake to ski slalom courses. I would say that you can take any car or truck and make it into a sports car., even a Toyota Solaris . I mean this guys was fast enough to to make it under a bus.

http://www.gannett-cdn.com/-mm-/e88022431440ca2c18640ef8f1357688cd6f045d/c=2-0-1024-768&r=x513&c=680x510/local/-/media/FortCollins/FortCollins/2014/04/18//1397840768000-brianwillie.jpg

Edited by shockthis

+1. All I wanted to know is what the general consensus was of what people expected when someone said they had a "ski" or "wake" boat. And now I'm a snob to some folks because a Jon Boat with an eye bolt attached to the transom that pulled a well trained squirrel once isn't what I think of as a "ski boat" and I'm not a snob enough for others, because I don't call mine a "Acme Certified, Milky Way Galaxy Class, Competition Caliber, Mac-Daddy Tow Marine Vessel." Like politics.....if you're in the middle, you get run over by both sides!!! :lightning:

Probably not your intent, but the way I read the original post, you were condescending towards non-inboard boats. I think a good portion of this board probably considers themselves "watersports lovers" first and "boat fans" second. Many of us have fond memories of our pre-inboard days, so you are catching heck for a seemingly snobbish post.

Does anyone else see these boats as simple runabouts, or bow riders. or whatever?

Edited by flapjack
  • Like 2
  • 4 months later...

I know this is a thread from the dead, but every Malibu I have ever had has been referred to by people on and off the lake as a "Mastercraft" when they see it. So I guess in MN and MI on the lakes I frequent, boaters do know inboards. However every single one (Moomba, Supra, MB, Sanger, MC, CC, and the Bu's) are Mastercrafts.

Even the 70 year old dude in the aluminum fishing boat: "That's a nice looking Mastercraft!". Gotta give him credit.