Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Semantics - I/O called "ski" or "Wake" boats?

67King

I keep seeing people reference I/O's as one fo these things. Guy on a Ga Tech forum I read asking for advice on selling his "19' ski boat." Turned out to be an Ebbtde Campione 190. One of my wife's partners talking about his new "ski boat".......a Regal. Just last night, a friend who loves to surf, but has an I/O, I was trying to talk into looking at an M235. "I don't know, I really want to check out the new Cobalt Wake Boat."

Does anyone else see these boats as simple runabouts, or bow riders. or whatever? I just automatically think of a direct drive when someone says "ski boat," and a V-drive when someone says "wake boat." But even Cobalt is advertising a new boat of theirs as a "Wake and surf" boat. It all may be, it may be more than capable, and they all may be designed from the ground up for that purpose. But I don't see it. Just seems to me like calling a Toyota Solara a sports car because it only has 2 doors.

I usually get excited when someone I know tells me they have a ski boat or a wake boat. And about half the time, they do. But the other half, no. Am I just expecting too much or getting excited? Really just curious.

I'm with you. When I was looking for a boat I often had to explain to people that I was looking for a "competition ski boat". Then I'd have to explain the difference. Now I just let the boat do the talking for me by teaching people to ski and slalom who never could before. And teaching the people who drive me that you don't need to constantly adjust speed like on grandpa's bayliner

Madman...............You could not possibly imagine how ez it is for me to respectfully disagree. If I use my Wakesetter for fishing, which I could do for the amusement of anyone watching, that does mean it is a fishing boat. However, I get it when someone who knows no better refers to their stern drive or outboard boat as a ski boat. Still, I have to draw a HARD line when someone tells me how well their stern drive or outboard boat surfs well. Not a subject of the op's post, but it is almost always the boast that comes next.

I file all of this under "do your homework before you buy."

Edited by skyskier

I think a hull can be designed for s specific purpose, regardless of its propulsion method. Can an inboard have an advantage over an output as a tow boat, maybe, sure as heck seem to be a lot of ski shows towed with outboards.

Outboard ski boats, no doubt! Not much use for a 750 hp triple rig that won't do 50 except pulling a whole bunch of skiers:)

Edited by toddthelineman

To me, if you have a boat, and it's main purpose is skiing (or wakeboarding), then it is a ski or wakeboard boat.

I would say that most people (even boaters) really have no clue about how much different a V-drive or direct drive boat is for watersports vs a sterndrive or outboard.

• Like 3

Guess I don't see whether one skis or not with it as the defining characteristic. I mean, I have sex, but that doesn't make me a p*** star. I cook meals, that doesn't make me a cook. I guess I think of what the boat was designed to do, and I am not aware of any I/O having been designed for skiing or wakeboarding. I grew up skiing behind a '64 Chris Craft Super Sport. We never called it a ski boat. Not picking on I/O's, but the Ebbtide guy was asking the best way to sell it, and I suggested onlyinboards.com......oops.

Nevertheless, I guess enough folks call them that that I need to remind myself next time I hear it that it probably doesn't mean something I'd be interested in. Just always awkward when one says that, and the reply is "Really? Cool, I've got a Malibu, what is yours?" "Sea Ray!" "Oh."

Madman...............You could not possibly imagine how ez it is for me to respectfully disagree. If I use my Wakesetter for fishing, which I could do for the amusement of anyone watching, that does mean it is a fishing boat. However, I get it when someone who knows no better refers to their stern drive or outboard boat as a ski boat. Still, I have to draw a HARD line when someone tells me how well their stern drive or outboard boat surfs well. Not a subject of the op's post, but it is almost always the boast that comes next.

I file all of this under "do your homework before you buy."

Just about every I/O I've seen has a ski locker and place to attach a ski rope. Heck, even pontoon boats are sold with towers now. Obviously they are designed for skiing.

Edited by MadMan

Nevertheless, I guess enough folks call them that that I need to remind myself next time I hear it that it probably doesn't mean something I'd be interested in. Just always awkward when one says that, and the reply is "Really? Cool, I've got a Malibu, what is yours?" "Sea Ray!" "Oh."

You got to remember, he's thinking the same thing, it's all a matter of perspective.

Just about every I/O I've seen has a ski locker and place to attach a ski rope. Heck, even pontoon boats are sold with towers now. Obviously they are designed for skiing.

That's why I asked the question. I'd put all that stuff in the Toyota Solara category. Just making a car have 2 doors does not, in my mind, make it a "sports" car. Having a place to attach a ski rope doesn't make something a ski boat. Shoot, I've skied behind a pontoon boat with the ski rope attached to a cleat. Boats as far back as I can recall have had anchor points for ski ropes. But no one thought of them as ski boats...........the 2 or 3 Ski Nautiques we would occasionally see on the lake (late 70's/early 80's) were considered "ski boats."

But yeah, if having a tower and storage (one man's ski locker is his wife's picnic/towel storage) is all it takes for the general consensus to consider something a ski/wakeboard boat, then okay. Surprising to me, but I was wondering what the consensus is. Or not even consensus, but if a lot of folks saw every bowrider as a ski or wake boat.

A lot of smug going on here with the better than thou attitude of having an inboard.

I certainly do not mean to come across as arrogant. I am honestly really trying to do the exact opposite. I really am only trying to figure out what I should expect when someone says they have a "ski boat." It sounds like my expectations are pretty out of line. I generally refer to most I/O's of say under 25 feet as runabouts or bowriders. And yeah, when I find out someone in my social group has what they refer to as a ski or wake or whatever boat, I tend to get excited and think that they may be someone we could go out with and learn something from, etc. Or at the very least if I'm at a toddler birthday party with a bunch of strangers, it is a lot easier to pass the time when one finds another with similar interests. I'm sure I do come across as smug when someone says they have a ski boat and it turns out to be a bowrider they pull tubes with. It is just about what my expectations are when that terminology is used. It is great when said "wake boat" turns out to be one......a Malibu in one case, and a Moomba in another (and the Moomba owner is also a Tech fan trapped in Knoxville, woo-hoo!).

Like I said, I'm just wondering what I *should* expect, I'm not trying to force my beliefs onto others. The Cobalt thing I mentioned above, I knew about. It was the guy trying to sell one that really kind of threw me off. I sent him a PM and praised the virtues of onlyinboards.com and how quickly I had sold my Axis there. Then I ask about his boat, and tell him I keep finding myself really interested in an older MC Pro Star 190. So yeah, I'm sure I came across as smug in that case, and it was not the intent at all. I just really am trying to find out if these folks are one offs, or if I need to recalibrate my expectations.

Just like a Chevy Avalanche isn't a pickup, or a Mazda Miata isn't a sports car, or a box of tissue isn't a Kleenix.... their just generic terms for whatever. I can honestly say that I have NEVER used the word "runabout" in a conversation. People tell me they have a ski boat & I rarely get excited about anything. The term is so broad & people's use of their boat is even more so, that chances are good that I still may not ever see them on the lake or connect with them on any level. Sure I'll express some interest & ask them more about the boat & what they like to do on it. And I'll share what we do too. But there is only a small chance that it will go much further than that.

The irony there Chuck, is that you have a ski on your wake boat & no big wake sport things, ie; boards, foils, etc. I suppose technically even skiing is a wake sport, huh.

Another big advantage of our boats over the I/Os is the swimstep. Easy in & out, good place to gear up or just relax.

The irony there Chuck, is that you have a ski on your wake boat & no big wake sport things, ie; boards, foils, etc. I suppose technically even skiing is a wake sport, huh.

Another big advantage of our boats over the I/Os is the swimstep. Easy in & out, good place to gear up or just relax.

Switched the picture ;) Normally there were 2 boards on one side and a ski on the other just like my VTX. Not many pictures of that boat

Edited by oldjeep
  • Like 1