Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Another sub story

Bill_AirJunky

Bill....

here's a little update to where I'm at, this is the third weekend at making the template,

took a lot longer then I though as theres not as much room as I thought on the TXi, with the heater box

in behind and the shape of the floor and chines, it was some what of a bear to sort out.

But the template is done. I've soured & buying the plastic kick panel this week, and I'm using

the existing sub box, which i made a template of to as seen here, then ataching it to the back of the new Kick panel.

post-20239-0-94738800-1455486265_thumb.j

Edited by Dare2goBare
  • Like 1

Here the template completed as it sits in place.

Next weekend cut out the new kick panel attach the sub box and start the installation.

post-20239-0-92696300-1455486432_thumb.j

Edited by Dare2goBare
  • Like 1

Very cool Dare. I hear you on the slow process. And I had an exisiting template to copy!

But I'm getting close.

The new box is mostly marine plywood. The guy at Windsor Plywoods told me that exterior grade is the same thing, just has a few knots in it. So I picked up a piece of scrap there for the last couple pieces of mine to complete it. It has 3 coats of resin all over it. A buddy of mine who builds subs more often suggested that rather than going to the fabric store for poly fill, I could just stick a couple pieces of new scrap carpet that I have. Considering there was nothing in there before & it sounded great, it will be interesting to see what it sounds like now. The face plate is spray painted with a Kyrlon textured tough paint. Received 4 small blue Oznium LEDs on Saturday. I need to go get a glue gun & they are going on the backside of the grill, shining in to the sub speaker. Should be a cool effect.

36489890924_fb3cf530eb_k.jpg

Edited by Bill_AirJunky
  • Like 2

Looks great!

I wasn't sure what I was going to do for the face, I stopped by my dealer to ask him

where I could source the plastic for the new kick panel, " or what ever it is Malibu uses" , he pointed me

in the right direction and then proceed to give me a piece of orginal carpet as I have in the TXi

for the face .

I also have a Red LED strip I'm going to hot glue around the inside edge of the grill, should look cool!

As you I'm looking foward to hearing the quality diff, and enjoying the

additional storage in the ski locker. Hence, easer access to our AO Cooler filled

with Woobly Pops...... lol... Did I realy say that..... lol.... I ment POP.........

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Finally got mine all back together. New sub box, old subwoofer, new LEDs, relocated the hot tube and vent. And a new steering wheel. Everything is working great.

36930315470_d76dbb2f02_k.jpg

Edited by Bill_AirJunky
  • Like 4

Hey Bill.... that looks great! Very Nice.

Looks like we where both working on our Subs today, here's mine. Temp pwr to the LEDS

and still have to run the speaker wiring to the amp....Didn't think this project was going

to be such a long process but it is and we'll worth the due dilagence!

You did a fine job Bro!  :rockon:

2016-03-06 18.21.28.jpg

In the dark

20160306_163657_20160306_180600.jpg

Edited by Dare2goBare
  • Like 3
On 11/3/2015 at 10:07 AM, Dare2goBare said:

Any thoughts on LED back lighting? Something I'm considering if I can incorporate with my 12" RF Sub.

Dare2goBare, looks great!!  What did you ultimately use for the LED set up?  I will be doing mine next month.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, ctvandy23 said:

Dare2goBare, looks great!!  What did you ultimately use for the LED set up?  I will be doing mine next month.

ctvandy

I bought a 3' long Red LED strip from our local parts store, Canadian Tire, and I also used a glue gun

for adhesion on the LED strip, to the inside edge of the Sub Grill. Drilled a small hole at an angle to

protrude just behind the top of the face plate for the wiring.

Thanks for the insight! I'm either going to do the same or use 3-4 dot LEDs.  I will have to play with both to see what looks better, but either way your set up looks great! 

• Like 1
37 minutes ago, ctvandy23 said:

Thanks for the insight! I'm either going to do the same or use 3-4 dot LEDs.  I will have to play with both to see what looks better, but either way your set up looks great! 

Yea, I think it'll depend on what your sub & grill are like. Dare's wouldn't really work with the dots shining back into the sub like I did. And likewise, mine might not have worked like he set his up.

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, Bill_AirJunky said:

Yea, I think it'll depend on what your sub & grill are like. Dare's wouldn't really work with the dots shining back into the sub like I did. And likewise, mine might not have worked like he set his up.

Like Bill says, the Grill is the key, the pic actually high lights the LED effect. My grill being so

cross grilled the led strip works best. Four dots wouldn't enhance much light in this case.

The solid red ring you see in my pic is actually the red reflection of the LEDs on the outer most

speaker cone rubber ring. In this pic you can see some of the LEDS through the grill,  outer most circles, look almost white in the pic.

20160302_172454_20160307_144404.jpg

Edited by Dare2goBare
  • Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Tried to get a night shot of it tonight. Its almost a little too bright. 

36514783133_cc4ff11305_k.jpg

And in the daylight

36930314290_5c83c17956_k.jpg

Edited by Bill_AirJunky
  • Like 3

Bill

Looks Great, and nicly done!...love the blue.:thumbup:

when you say " a litte to bright " do you mean in reality or just in the pic.

As I found in my pic,  the red is so much brighter then in reality, it's a camera thing!

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Bill_AirJunky said:

Thanks. Driving across the lake in the dark, it was kind of overwhelming. Almost. ;)

Hummmm I have yet to do a evening lake run, heck haven't been out yet this season.

we planed today but clouds and cold this morning.