Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

DIY Surfgate?

Cmb396

I know im beating a dead horse, but im new to the Malibu scene and searching for my next boat. Ive done searches and havent seen anything to answer my question.

I know Malibu will not sell a SG retro fit kit. Is there any reason you cant copy the shape of the SG tabs, fab the out of alum, powdercoat them, and install lenco actuators and just run them like you would trim tabs? It seems like a pretty simple set up. From what ive gathered, the newer SG boats do not have any extra reinforcing over older lsv's, or did i mis read?

I know this is a tired subject, but i want a SG boat, am super picky about color, and cant afford a new one. Was all set to get a new Axis T23, but have been steered otherwise.

Any info would be great! Thanks!!

Oh, also, and help locating a used black/orange 23lsv fs too!! Lol

Was all set to get a new Axis T23, but have been steered otherwise.

I know this isn't what you asked...........but why is this the case? What do they not offer that you need? Or better yet, what does a pre-SG LSV offer that a new T23 does not?

Here is an Orange and Charcoal A22. Given that I'm a non-UT fan living in Knoxville, I abhor orange, but for those who like it, this is probably a sharp boat. I'd at least give Joyce a call on this one, I very highly recommend the dealer.

https://www.facebook.com/MarineOutfitters/photos/a.556644297705037.1073741828.130036817032456/905616379474492/?type=3&theater

I know im beating a dead horse, but im new to the Malibu scene and searching for my next boat. Ive done searches and havent seen anything to answer my question.

I know Malibu will not sell a SG retro fit kit. Is there any reason you cant copy the shape of the SG tabs, fab the out of alum, powdercoat them, and install lenco actuators and just run them like you would trim tabs? It seems like a pretty simple set up. From what ive gathered, the newer SG boats do not have any extra reinforcing over older lsv's, or did i mis read?

I know this is a tired subject, but i want a SG boat, am super picky about color, and cant afford a new one. Was all set to get a new Axis T23, but have been steered otherwise.

Any info would be great! Thanks!!

Oh, also, and help locating a used black/orange 23lsv fs too!! Lol

I believe the biggest challenge is in the controls. I am not saying you couldn't flip a switch every time to pick up a rider..........

But, I believe martinarcher has built the controls you need. I am not sure if he is still selling them or not. They are fully automated works of art.

So build your own gate, buy martinarchers control box and your dialed.

• Like 1

I know this isn't what you asked...........but why is this the case? What do they not offer that you need? Or better yet, what does a pre-SG LSV offer that a new T23 does not?

Here is an Orange and Charcoal A22. Given that I'm a non-UT fan living in Knoxville, I abhor orange, but for those who like it, this is probably a sharp boat. I'd at least give Joyce a call on this one, I very highly recommend the dealer.

https://www.facebook.com/MarineOutfitters/photos/a.556644297705037.1073741828.130036817032456/905616379474492/?type=3&theater

Quite simply, resale value. The T23s are obviously new, and from whatbive seen from Axis in the used mkt is poor resale. Then add in the lack of rider settings, no power wedge, etc, an older malibu just seems to be the right choice.

As for the orange, lol, Im from Knoxville, and die hard Vol fan...hence the orange!

Quite simply, resale value. The T23s are obviously new, and from whatbive seen from Axis in the used mkt is poor resale. Then add in the lack of rider settings, no power wedge, etc, an older malibu just seems to be the right choice.

As for the orange, lol, Im from Knoxville, and die hard Vol fan...hence the orange!

Do the pre-SG 'Bu's have rider settings? Power wedge, yeah, that's fair. Several folks with teh manual one played with different stop locations to dial it in.

As for the resale, I've seen the opposite. I had mentioned in another thread having sold mine for close to what I paid for it, basically losing only what I put in in the cost of hte stereo system. I'd actually be inclined to say that they hold their value better than Malibu.

Shoot, how are you going to find an orange boat in Knoxvegas!? Won't it get lost amongst all of the orange? :biggrin: