Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

LXI Engine problems

I hope someone can shed some light on this problem. MY 06 LXI starts and runs fine until I try to pull a skier, after maybe 3 or 4 "pull ups" the engine "coughs and check engine alarm comes on. Engine will then go into a continued miss. If I turn ignition off & back on,alarm goes off. Then I can maybe pull skier up once and it starts the problem all over again. We have scanned engine & it said Crankshaft Sensor was theproblem. We have changed sensor twice,same problem or worse. Checked wiring,voltage etc and all shows good. we are now leaning towards Computer problems. I do not want to go there until I`m sure that is the problem.

Is there anyone out there that may have a suggestion or 2? We have changed Plugs,wires,rotor,cap.

For example,I towed a jump ramp to shore the other day,of course at idle or a bit above,No problem at all. Then when I started to

pull up a skier, problem started.

Ed

[email protected]

Since the problem is only occurring at higher fuel demand conditions, are you sure the fuel filter and the fuel pump inlet screen are clear?

Fuel problems are common. You could install a fuel pressure gauge to monitor the pressure while the problem is occurring. This would check the pump, regulator, filters.

I had similar, but maybe not exact issues with my 2001. Idle was fine, even pulling wakeboarders at like 2100 rpm was fine, but at higher rpm's the engine would stutter and then lose power. For my boat, it turned out to be debris in the filter screen at the fuel pump that looks like it's the fuel line disintegrating. After cleaning it works just like before. Getting new fuel line soon...

Pull fuel pump and check screen in bottom of fuel pump. My Supra I had before my Bu did the same thing I changed all kind of things before I figured out it was screen going in to fuel pump. Pulled pump cleaned screen and it ran better than it ever had since I owned it. Hope this helps!

We went through this 2 years ago with our 05 Response LXI. First we thought it was electrical and did a nut and bolt on every connection, no joy. Then went after the electrical on the engine similar to what you did, no joy. After much research we ended up in the fuel system. We replace the fuel filter, cleaned the screen which seemed to help but soon were experiencing the same problem. Ours ended up being the fuel pressure regular which our local dealer told us was a very common problem on the Monsoon. So much so that he keeps 4 or 5 in stock all the time. Pretty easy to check. Buy or rent a fuel pressure gauge from the auto parts store, attach to the Schrader valve on the fuel rail and start monitoring the pressure. At idle ours was running in excess of 60 lbs, under load it went as high as 110 lbs basically forcing fuel past the injectors and causing pre-ignition in multiple cylinders. Almost felt like we had the wires crossed or the distributor out a tooth or two.

After replacing the fuel pressure regular and plugs (as they were black from running rich) the boat has be running like new ever since. Don't go in the engine until you have the fuel system completely scoped out. At least that would be my advise.

Ed, if you are consistently seeing a crankshaft sensor error on Diacom, that's part of the 5v ref circuit. These sensors play together well until one of them starts misbehaving, and then all bets are off on which child is the bad one. None of the other sensors will point fingers at the bad child, its up to the tech to find it by the process of elimination.

In 2006, if I recall without looking, the circuit includes crankshaft sensor, temp sensor, oil pressure sensor, trans temp sensor, throttle position sensor, and throttle body position sensor.

Two most popular bad children in that family are the throttle position sensor, and the transmission temp sensor. But(!), neither of those should give you a "miss" symptom.

Peter

• Like 2

And it is possible that the sensors are good but the connections are bad. I had a car that a tech had fixed, but a few months later it started missing when cornering. I recorded data while driving it and found out that the engine engine was rev limiting (at idle) since it thought the RPM was over 10,000 for just that instant.

Long story short, I changed the crank sensor and it didn't fix it. After tracing the wires back, I found where he had probed the ECM connector and left the female side smashed. A few minutes with a dental pick had the car running great again. The bad connection had created spurious pulses mainly during right turns.

And it is possible that the sensors are good but the connections are bad. I had a car that a tech had fixed, but a few months later it started missing when cornering. I recorded data while driving it and found out that the engine engine was rev limiting (at idle) since it thought the RPM was over 10,000 for just that instant.

Long story short, I changed the crank sensor and it didn't fix it. After tracing the wires back, I found where he had probed the ECM connector and left the female side smashed. A few minutes with a dental pick had the car running great again. The bad connection had created spurious pulses mainly during right turns.

buy a jewlers loupe and take a very close look at all of the conductors in the connectors.

Good Morning: As of this date We have done everything and we just removed the timing cover and the magnetic wheel on the crankshaft had quite a bit of rust on it,so we are hoping that is the problem,causing a bad reading to the crank shaft sensor! If that does not solve the problem,then I guess it`s in the computer!

Thanks again for all of your suggestions.

• 4 months later...

I forgot to reply, I finally bit the bullet and had a Malibu mechanic come out to the Lake,He fixed my problem in 10 minutes.

The timing was off. How & why,I have No idea. He put his computer on it and set the timing & away we went! Go Figure!!!

Yea the newer ignition system it sees timing is off it can throw a crank sensor code. Seen it before and just read this thread other wise I would have mentioned it