Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Carpet Replacement - 2012 VTX

Owensjoe1977

We have the Malibu snap out carpet, and I was wondering if anyone has replaced it with the nice padded flooring look that is in the new boats? My flooring has a texture to it, probably because there wasn't carpet glued down to it. Will it work? Does anyone have any ideas on good companies? I would only do the padding on the main area, simply a direct replacement to the snap out carpet.

Thanks!

The seadek or gatorstep products are like big stickers. You simply peel and lay them down. The textured floor is standard for all boats with snap in. A few guys have done this conversion on here.

• Like 1

I'm quite certain that I'm moving to Dekadence or Gator Step next Spring. I'm not sure if Gator Step has a VTX pattern available yet. I've been meaning to call them one of these days.

http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index.php?/topic/58123-dekadence-mat/

http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index.php?/topic/53737-gator-step-turned-out-awesome/

If anyone wants to buy an almost-new VTX carpet insert, let me know.

I'm quite certain that I'm moving to Dekadence or Gator Step next Spring. I'm not sure if Gator Step has a VTX pattern available yet. I've been meaning to call them one of these days.

http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index.php?/topic/58123-dekadence-mat/

http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index.php?/topic/53737-gator-step-turned-out-awesome/

If anyone wants to buy an almost-new VTX carpet insert, let me know.

Out of curiosity - why? I'd consider your carpet as a spare, although 4 seasons haven't really put any wear on mine. Not sure I get the appeal of the rubber flooring, especially the stuff that has little divots in it.

• Like 1

My wife has super-human smell capabilities. I can't dry that carpet insert fast enough to keep away even the faintest musty smell, which she then complains about.

Edited by Badger
  • Like 1

My wife has super-human smell capabilities. I can't dry that carpet insert fast enough to keep away even the faintest musty smell, which she then complains about.

FWIW - a carpet fan works really well. On the rare occasion that our carpet is actually wet when the boat goes in the garage I just set it on the floor of the boat and it drys it pretty quickly. I don't recall where I got mine from but it was something we bought for the basement originally, definitely was under $100.

I will be going with the gatorstep flooring this winter, I love carpet but it always gives off that musty smell, I will toggle back and forth and be able to allow my carpet to dry thoroughly, I noticed a lot of the water gets trapped under the rubber backing of the carpet, I did not care for the rubber flooring until I actually rode in a few boats with it and now i'm liking it better, Still carpet is favorite, But being able to go back & forth will be a plus, I do a lot of youth activity's and some camp out retreats, and It would be nice not having to worry about my carpet getting dirty, When these kids our in our boat I want them to relax and not have to be so careful,

I just wanted the ability to dry out my carpet, We go a couple of times a week and on the week end, It never seems to dry between times, Who knows I may just stick with the Gator step and store my carpet and bring it out for those romantic cruises. :whistle: LOL

I just wanted the ability to dry out my carpet, We go a couple of times a week and on the week end, It never seems to dry between times, Who knows I may just stick with the Gator step and store my carpet and bring it out for those romantic cruises. :whistle: LOL

So I take it gator step is removable? Does it just use the existing buttons to connect to the floor.

Gatorstep is not removeable. It is a peel and stick. I have a bow piece on my boat now and hate my snap-in carpet so will be ordering the entire floor in Gatorstep. Love the stuff.

• Like 2

My carpet seems to dry out without issue. My boat sits in the water with an evo cover. I don't get a musty smell when I open it up. Only once this summer did I find it damp inside, but it had rained like mad the entire week.