Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Boatmate trailers vs Malibu trailers

JerryT

I'm told by Boatmate their trailer for the 2016 22ft VLX is lower and shorter than the Malibu made trailer. I need to get under a 8ft garage header and don't want to spend the 3k extra for the G4 tower or remove the Bimini from the G3.2 tower every time it goes into the garage. Does anyone know of or know if anyone is working on a similar device for the G3.2 tower like "The Pistol" which is an option on the G4 tower and allows the Bimini and G4 tower to fold below the height of the windshield. See You Tube "G4 Pistol Slider Bimini Demonstration".

Edited by JerryT

The dealer told me that even with the Malibu trailer that it will fit in a 8' door. Any more info from people would be great. Cause I hope my new one fits. Lol

Same with my dealer but guess what after measuring a 2016 22ft VLS with G3.2 tower it will only fit under an 8ft garage header if you take of the tower racks and the Bimini. The racks are easy one Allen bolt but the Bimini is a two person job. I need a device like the pistol to avoid taking the Bimini off every time the boat goes into the garage.

I have the same issue, racks and Bimini off and on by my self. Here is the fix. Just below the Bimini mount brackets on the tower there are 2 threaded holes not being used. I made a 4" wide bracket that bolts on to these 2 holes and sticks out about 4 " . Then I made I hanger out of lumber that extends over the front of the tower that supports the front of the Bimini with a bungy cord. One person can set the ends of the Bimini frame on the 2 out looks, raise the Bimini at the front and hang with the bungy cord. Then you can slide the slider cup to the tower bracket and set in place, move to the other side and do the same. Remove the lumber hanger and your done, reverse to remove. Buy the way where did everybody go!!!!!

BIRD any pictures.

IXFE Do you have the GL Bimini on a 2016 22ft VLX? If so is it as quiet and clean a set up as the CS Bimini? I want to see one or pictures before I commit. Again Malibu trailer is taller than Boatmate and the Bimini must fold below the tower or it does me no good.

The GL Bimini is a pain to deploy and to store. It is not as user friendly as the CS Bimini. That being said, I have 8 ft doors and my 22VLX does barely clear the header with the GL Bimini folded. I still have to remove my racks and my swim platform to fit the boat in my garage. It's well worth the extra hassle to me of using the GL Bimini because it's one less thing that I have to do when putting my boat away.

As a side note, I think boat mate makes the lowest quality trailers of any boat I've ever owned. My first boat had a sweetwater trailer, then a mastercraft trailer, and now boat mate. This thing is a joke. I'd avoid it next time if I could.

Our 2015 VLX is on a boatmate trailer, and has the G4 tower. I have to take off the board racks and the bimini, but it does fit in our garage. I had to take off the 2x6 that is under the header board on most garages. Our garage is now 7'3". That is with a G4 though, can't comment on the G3.

BIRD any pictures.

IXFE Do you have the GL Bimini on a 2016 22ft VLX? If so is it as quiet and clean a set up as the CS Bimini? I want to see one or pictures before I commit. Again Malibu trailer is taller than Boatmate and the Bimini must fold below the tower or it does me no good.

No, I do not have my 2016 yet, and even if I did Ive moved onto G4 towers. But I had the GL bimini on my 2012 and 2013 VLX's. I realize the '16 VLX is a different animal on a different trailer, but that's not the point. The GL bimini on a G3 tower makes it so you NEVER have to remove the bimini to get the tower down to its lowest position. And anybody who has removed the CS bimini be before knows what a PITA that is. Removing the racks and platform is child's play compared to removing the bimini every time.

This is the only pic I have of my '13 with the tower down, taken before delivery so maybe not so helpful. All I know is I never had to remove the bimini and the tower collapsed all the way to resting on the dash.

20130601_133150_zpscc366b4b.jpg

Edited by IXFE

The GL Bimini is a pain to deploy and to store. It is not as user friendly as the CS Bimini. That being said, I have 8 ft doors and my 22VLX does barely clear the header with the GL Bimini folded. I still have to remove my racks and my swim platform to fit the boat in my garage. It's well worth the extra hassle to me of using the GL Bimini because it's one less thing that I have to do when putting my boat away.

I never felt like it was that hard. I've had the CS slider too and it's just as bad, imho. The worst part of any bimini is putting the boot on; all biminis suck in this dept.

And I agree... removing the bimini every time is a punishment I wouldn't wish on anybody. The GL is worth it for this reason alone. The added benefit is the Sunbrella material is MUCH nicer than the CS bimini.

Our 2015 VLX is on a boatmate trailer, and has the G4 tower. I have to take off the board racks and the bimini, but it does fit in our garage. I had to take off the 2x6 that is under the header board on most garages. Our garage is now 7'3". That is with a G4 though, can't comment on the G3.

You need the "pistol" bracket for your bimini. It will make it so you don't have to remove the bimini to fully lower the G4 tower.

18854_zpsltipebyu.jpg

Apparently out to lunch.

So is this the first year on the trailers? I'd never buy a first year item of any kind. I'll let you guys work out the problems on yours first. Then again, Boatmate isn't much of a choice either. :Doh:

Edited by Bill_AirJunky

Apparently out to lunch.

So is this the first year on the trailers? I'd never buy a first year item of any kind. I'll let you guys work out the problems on yours first. Then again, Boatmate isn't much of a choice either. :Doh:

Yeah, 2016 is the first year of the Malibu trailer. I've seen them in person and they look alot like Boatmate. Although they do ride higher, partly cuz they use taller tires.

No, I do not have my 2016 yet, and even if I did Ive moved onto G4 towers. But I had the GL bimini on my 2012 and 2013 VLX's. I realize the '16 VLX is a different animal on a different trailer, but that's not the point. The GL bimini on a G3 tower makes it so you NEVER have to remove the bimini to get the tower down to its lowest position. And anybody who has removed the CS bimini be before knows what a PITA that is. Removing the racks and platform is child's play compared to removing the bimini every time.

This is the only pic I have of my '13 with the tower down, taken before delivery so maybe not so helpful. All I know is I never had to remove the bimini and the tower collapsed all the way to resting on the dash.

20130601_133150_zpscc366b4b.jpg

So I take this as your getting a new 16. If so What are you going with?

Killa!!

Lol... j/k, probably another 23 LSV. They are just too perfect for my family and too easy to flip.

You sticking with black and red.

Man We need someone like you with attention to detail, and highly analytical to put that boat through the paces

I don't know how you guys do it new boat every year. Besides the finanical aspect, doing all the mods every year. More power to you.

You sticking with black and red.

Man We need someone like you with attention to detail, and highly analytical to put that boat through the paces

I don't know how you guys do it new boat every year. Besides the finanical aspect, doing all the mods every year. More power to you.

I don't know if I can do black/silver/red for a 4th time. I gotta do something different.

As to the M235, I really hope I get a chance to demo it. If I do I'll certainly report back, but to your point $$ is the reason I won't be owning one. And flipping one would be challenging, to say the least.

As a side note, I think boat mate makes the lowest quality trailers of any boat I've ever owned. My first boat had a sweetwater trailer, then a mastercraft trailer, and now boat mate. This thing is a joke. I'd avoid it next time if I could.

Out of curiosity, what trailer did your mastercraft have? All the Mastercraft boats at the local dealer are on Boatmates from the factory and the dealer sells some crappy looking Phoenix trailers as standalones.

My only issue with my boatmate trailer has been the same issue as other trailers - lag bolts backing out of the bunks.

Edited by oldjeep

Out of curiosity, what trailer did your mastercraft have? All the Mastercraft boats at the local dealer are on Boatmates from the factory and the dealer sells some crappy looking Phoenix trailers as standalones.

My only issue with my boatmate trailer has been the same issue as other trailers - lag bolts backing out of the bunks.

I like my Boatmate better than my last SMP, my bunks are through bolted on this one not lag bolted.

Our boatmate (axis A22) has been a great trailer compared to our Zieman (Tige 23V). It always loads straight and rides/tows very nice. We only had two summers on her before trading up so I can't speak to longevity. Our lsv is on a boatmate and I have no concerns at all.