Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2004 (or 5?) Wakesetter with Direct Drive

wahnamch

50mph limit and, yes, only used for transport from storage to lake and back once per year. Mind you, we would need to move the boat from its current location to our local lake ..... approx. 300 km.

I have a green 03 DD Wakesetter with standard carbed votec 310(smallest of 3 engines that year). Mine looks just like that except I have a teak platform and single axle trailer. That is a Beautiful boat!

Edited by barefootboy

I now have engine photos and the HIN ... happy for any infos..

HIN : USMB2D3036C404

Engine type : Mercruiser GPM350MAGPI (this from the registration document and also photo of the engine).

p.s. if the engine photos are needed I'll try to post them in the next couple of days.

Thanks. So it is as claimed .. a 2004 (registered in 2005 in Switzerland) Wakesetter. The HIN doesn't seem to say anything about the engine. But the photos show tje aame as the registration i.e. Mercruiser 350 MAG MPI. 260 hp waa a valid power rating for that engine.

Just a couple more weeks and we get to view it live. Excited :)

• 2 weeks later...

Went to view the boat yesterday. It's a beaut! Engine started first time (having been in storage for a couple of months) and ran sweetly. Warm starts not an issue either. It has Perfect Pass installed (split display with Tacho), which is a bonus. Sadly, the rest of the instruments (Speedo, Tacho, Oll, Water, etc.) did not work at all.

The owner says the tacho stopped working soon after he bought the boat (he is the first owner) but the other instruments worked normally. In the last couple of years he has had 2-3 outings with the boat when the other gauges didn't work. Killing the power and restarting had cleared the problem in the past, but this time nothing worked regardless of what we tried. He told me he will have this fixed before selling the boat, though, so I'm not too worried about it.

There are one or two nicks in the upholstery and a couple of small chips in the platform. The ballast system is after market (two fat sacs, as far as I can tell), one in the rear storage and one in the front (floor) storage. Wedge (manual) is included and works fine.

Even with "only" 260 hp, with both sacs about 50% full and 3 adults on board, the boat was very quick and nimble. I was impressed, anyway :)

I have now put in an offer about 10% under his asking price and will see what he says. Of course, my offer is conditional on the gauges being fixed (although I don't mind if the tacho doesn't work -- as has been the case more or less since new).

• 3 weeks later...

Sealed the deal yesterday. The seller is having all repairs done and still agreed to drop the price by 10%. Can't wait until spring to get her out!

• Like 3
  • 5 months later...

Thought I'd report back with the latest news. Boat arrived at the lake today and took it straight out. LOVE it!!!!! Many thanks again for the supportive advice and comments. We'll be using for wakeboarding next weekend - weather permitting.

p.s. how does the manual wedge work? I haven't found out how to push it down (and then back up again, of course) so any help here would be appreciated.

BTW did I mention we love the boat? :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

5 minutes ago, wahnamch said:

Thought I'd report back with the latest news. Boat arrived at the lake today and took it straight out. LOVE it!!!!! Many thanks again for the supportive advice and comments. We'll be using for wakeboarding next weekend - weather permitting.

p.s. how does the manual wedge work? I haven't found out how to push it down (and then back up again, of course) so any help here would be appreciated.

BTW did I mention we love the boat? :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

You open the door in the swim platform, reach through and there will be a couple flat pins that you squeeze together to unlock the wedge and push it down to lock in lower position.  Easier to take a look at it on the trailer first, those pins are a pain to move if they haven't been used for a while.  It is always a fight to get the wedge down on my inlaws 04 lxi since it is only used about 1 week a year, the rest of the year it is just a slalom tug.

Thanks for that. I'll try it tomorow.

Another question if I may. I know the boat only reacts to steering in reverse on one side. However, it reacts the opposite to the description in the manual. In other words it only responds to the wheel when turned clockwise i.e. the stern pulls to starboard. In tge manual, the opposite is described and would make mooring on the starboard side far easier. 

Is something wrong? Could this be changed?

12 minutes ago, wahnamch said:

That actually makes sense. Any tips on landing?

Go slow and try to dock with the dock on the side the boat pulls towards in reverse - unless you have a current that you are dealing with.

If I hold the wheel all the way to the left my boat will almost reverse straight back.  Otherwise it's always back and to the right like most inboards.  2004 23lsv wake hull. 

Pics pics pics!!!

about docking, go very slow, putting the boat in and out of gear in 1-2 second spurts. That allows steering without gaining speed. You can't steer in reverse. Use it for backing up or for slowing down as you sick. It only pulls to the right (or is it left?)

congrats on the new 'bu!!!

• 1 month later...

Finally got out on the lake again this past weekend. Wedge works (thanks for the tip). Docking just fine (thanks for the tips). And..... finally got some photos to share (sorry for the delay):

malibu1.jpgmalibu2.jpgmalibu3.jpgmalibu4.jpgmalibu5.jpgmalibu6.jpgmalibu7.jpg

Funny thing was ... out on the lake for the first time and saw another Wakesetter in the same optic and colour. Just a VDrive with a different tower, but apart from that SNAP ---- Twins on the lake :D

• Like 2
On 10/23/2015 at 10:20 AM, oldjeep said:

Pretty sure a DD Wakesetter is just a Sunsetter with ballast/wedge/tower/graphics. If you look in the resources section you can look at the 2004 brochure and see the wakesetter

Sorry for bringing up an old post and don't want to hijack the thread, but where do you find old brochures?  I found them once before and have spent too much time looking for them again.  Where under resources are they?  Thanks!