Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2004 (or 5?) Wakesetter with Direct Drive

wahnamch

Dear all,

We are looking for some information on a boat we are considering buying. It is a Malibu Wakesetter (no other lettering in the model) from 2005 (maybe model year 2004). It has direct drive with 260 hp (not a V-Drive) and is about 21 feet. Ballast tanks front and rear as well as a wedge (manual) are included as is a tower with speakers, board racks, etc.

My search hasn't turned up much information on this model, so anything anyone knows and could share on this would be really useful.

BTW, the boat has 390 hours and, according to the owner (we haven't seen the boat live yet) in excellent condition. Asking price with trailer is just under 30k USD (but we are in Switzerland, so maybe not price compatible with US prices). Oh yes, as we are in Switzerland, the boat has never seen salt water :)

Thanks in advance for any infos.

P.S. If I knew how, I could post a couple of photos if they would be useful

Have you got a picture of the engine? One thing that springs to mind is that it might not even be an Indmar engine. My father inlaws 2004 Response has a Mercury Black Scorpion in it. 260HP could be a Carburated Mercruiser 5.7 TKS

Edited by oldjeep

Thanks again for the quick reply. No, I don't have a photo of the engine (and won't be able to view the boat until mid-November --- we're going away for a few weeks). Did Malibu still have carbed engines in 2004? I thought they used only fuel injected engines after 1999 (or maybe even earlier?).

I hope it's not a carbed engine, though. Something I definitely wanted to avoid :(

Thanks again for the quick reply. No, I don't have a photo of the engine (and won't be able to view the boat until mid-November --- we're going away for a few weeks). Did Malibu still have carbed engines in 2004? I thought they used only fuel injected engines after 1999 (or maybe even earlier?).

I hope it's not a carbed engine, though. Something I definitely wanted to avoid :(

Don't know if they were available or not, the old brochures don't have that matrix in them. But 260HP is almost certainly carbureted. I'd see if the seller can email you a picture of the engine.

Carb option is listed in specs for 2004, but not in the brochure. Might be one out in the wild but it should be the 310 hp Vortec, not the old Merc 265.

Seller is either misinformed, has a, umm, unique boat that somehow got ordered with the smallest motor, or repowered and went the wrong way.

Strange one, isn't it? I have asked for the HIN, confirmation of carb or EFI and a photo of the engine. It could take some time to get this, though (due to absences).

The registration document apparently shows 191kw. That would be 260hp. My initial thought was that it may be a typo and should read 260kw as that would be about 350hp. We'll see what information comes back.

Thanks again for the inputs and infos.

Strange one, isn't it? I have asked for the HIN, confirmation of carb or EFI and a photo of the engine. It could take some time to get this, though (due to absences).

The registration document apparently shows 191kw. That would be 260hp. My initial thought was that it may be a typo and should read 260kw as that would be about 350hp. We'll see what information comes back.

Thanks again for the inputs and infos.

Well, if it is just on the registration document then they could have used anything - maybe even the actual output (A Monsoon 350 doesn't put out anywhere near 350HP)

How can I post an image here? When I try to add an image link, the window just locks up. I can't seem to upload any pictures as attachments either.

If the image is somewhere public, just paste the link into the reply window and we can click om it. If the image is on your PC then you need to use an image hosting service if you are not a paid member.

post-2003 Sunsetter LXi?

edit: Never mind. I see Malibu made a direct drive Wakesetter in 2004.

Why is the boat so far back on the trailer? (So far from bow roller.)

Edited by John I.

Guessing, but I think it is the SV25 hull, which was used on some of the 'bu's. Or ha, could be the wake hull. Either way, has the nice huge trunk in back. I'm guessing a sweeeet ride for sure. 30k US may not be a bad price.

Let us know how it goes,

Steve B.

Looks like an 04 direct drive Wakesetter or an 05 I-Ride. 05 21 foot Wakesetters used the newer hull design. Still a great boat either way because the 05+ I-Ride is the same boat as the 04 and older Wakesetter.

Trailers are a different beasts as I remember in Europe. 20-30mph speed limits etc. Boats are kept in slips and on lifts during use(summer), then pulled out for storage(winter) if needed to nearby yard. We use our trailers differently here.

Graphics on boat are on the 03-05 era I beleive.