Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

$15 Buck Oil Transfer Pump - Time Saver @ Winterization

EchelonMike

Hey All,

I've been viewing the flood of annual winterization questions, and thought I would pass along a time and mess-saver on the oil change front. I just finished winterizing the Bu <lets all pause for a moment of silence> and I ended up picking up an orange plastic fluid transfer pump @ Auto Zone for $15 bucks to help speed up the oil change process. This is the pump I bought:

s-l1600.jpg

For years, I have fed the oil change tube out through a hull fitting and set my catch pan on the ground. This has worked OK, but it is annoying because:

1. Even with warm oil, it drains s l o w w w w w

2. If it's windy, the whimpy-thin stream of oil that flows out of the drain line will blow all over and make a mess

3. I have to start and stop the engine a few times on the hose during winterization, so I get all wet and cruddy crawling under the boat to place and retrieve the pan

This pump has soft, flexible rubber ends, and just happens to push-fit over the end of the engine oil drain line perfectly. If you don't know what the oil drain line looks like, it is the black rubber hose typically clipped onto the engine, like in this photo:

S511014_LG.jpg

I placed my drain pan in the rear locker, hooked the pump up to the drain line, and in about 2 minutes I sucked all the oil out of the pan. You don't even need to use the supplied orange lines that come with the pump, so there is even less to clean up. Not a drop spilled and worked like a charm. And since I am pulling from the line attached to the oil pan vs the dipstick pump fitting, I know I am removing any sediment at the bottom of the pan by pulling the oil through from the lowest point.

Even after winterizing my Bu's for 10+ years, it's nice to find a new trick to make life easier. And, at $15 vs the industrial made-for-oil change pumps that cost big bucks, you free up some cash for beer/gas/sunscreen for the 2016 season. :-)

-- Mike

• Like 2

I must have got a bad one then. I had one that I bought to change the oil in my folks jetski, threw it away after using it once because it was so slow and required so much pumping. Switched to the $46 version and was much happier with it:

http://www.motoparthub.com/OIL01_Hydro_Turf_Oil_Extractor?src=Google&gclid=Cj0KEQjwtaexBRCohZOAoOPL88oBEiQAr96eSKhJDRTso5TUDy3lC0VG2eXv1tlUIGN6OVEU1TyyROgaAk9J8P8HAQ

(Don't use either one on the boats, those just get drained into a bucket overnight)

Edited by oldjeep

I placed my drain pan in the rear locker, hooked the pump up to the drain line, and in about 2 minutes I sucked all the oil out of the pan. You don't even need to use the supplied orange lines that come with the pump, so there is even less to clean up. Not a drop spilled and worked like a charm. And since I am pulling from the line attached to the oil pan vs the dipstick pump fitting, I know I am removing any sediment at the bottom of the pan by pulling the oil through from the lowest point.

Even after winterizing my Bu's for 10+ years, it's nice to find a new trick to make life easier. And, at $15 vs the industrial made-for-oil change pumps that cost big bucks, you free up some cash for beer/gas/sunscreen for the 2016 season. :-)

-- Mike

I can just see me, with my luck , dropping my pan and 5 quarts of dirty oil into the locker, engine compartment and who knows where else ! :cry:

I have the same pump that I use for the V-drive /transmission oil, works well.

Edited by DUKENO1

I had that same model (bought at Harbor Freight). Used it a couple of years, and HATED it. My last boat had the hose that went out the rear plug, so I would just let it drain overnight.

I now use on of these. http://www.amazon.com/Shoreline-Marine-Oil-Changer-Volts/dp/B004UOU6L0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1445626696&sr=8-1&keywords=12+volt+oil+pump

Haven't used it on the Bu yet, but for the last three years I do the two sterndrives plus genset on the houseboat. Very happy with hit.