Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

You know what really grinds my gears...

Arick

This. I view obo as, I will take as close to my asking as I can get if I cannot get asking price. If you're getting multiple offers above asking price, you have priced too low to begin with. Then there is the whole psychological aspect where some people need to negotiate to feel they are getting a good deal. I had that happen On the boat I sold this summer over $50.

Hey, I didn't say EVERYONE thought that......I said "many." And personally, I think phrasing it "best offer over $XX" is the most clear way to do it. But yes, in both cases, I had my asking price too low. But I was content with what I got, not out to make as much as i could. I hate the whole game of negotiation for negotiation's sake. Last time a guy tried that on me, I told him I'd just keep it, and he came back and gave me my asking price about 30 minutes later.

PNW, if this is your philosophy, I think you should probably spell it out to your buyers because I doubt many of them have this same idea too.

Urban dictionary says:

O.B.O.

Short form for "or best offer." Usually used in adds to let people know that the price of whatever they are selling is open to negotiation, and that they will accept the best offer if the asking price is not met.

I am selling a TV for $50 O.B.O.

Did you read my initial complaint? I was annoyed because I replied to an ad on cl that said obo, and got a "my price is firm response". I sold 2 boats on cl this summer without having to spell out anything to potential buyers. My definition of obo was similar to what you posted from urban dictionary...

Did you read my initial complaint? I was annoyed because I replied to an ad on cl that said obo, and got a "my price is firm response". I sold 2 boats on cl this summer without having to spell out anything to potential buyers. My definition of obo was similar to what you posted from urban dictionary...

The comment you made, "Then there is the whole psychological aspect where some people need to negotiate to feel they are getting a good deal."

Urban dictionary's definition, "the price of whatever they are selling is open to negotiation"

I guess I missed it.

As I see it, "OBO" & "price is firm" are two very different things.

That being said, whats the policy here on TMC for the classifieds? I see a few boats with no prices.

EDIT

Whats the the thought on not making the price required? Just curious.

Posting in the Classifieds: The Rules

· Please post one item per ad.

· No negative comments. If you see an issue, contact the seller or a moderator via pm.

· Use the question feature to ask about an item. These are displayed publicly, and other members may have the same question.

· Ads are free to subscribers and cost $5 per ad for non-subscribers.

· All ads expire after 60 days, and can be renewed within 30 days of expiration.

· Attached images must be less than 500KB in file size. There is no limit on how many images that you may attach.

· Close your ad if you sell the item.

· Do not post links to ads from other sites, such as Ebay or Craigslist.

· Want-to-buy or freebie posts should go in the appropriate forum.

· Protect yourself. Be careful about giving any sensitive information to prospective buyers, not just the hull ID#.

· The standard Terms of Use apply.

The rules stated there have to do with using the Classifieds system & what is appropriate to post where (such as the want-to-buy items). While it may make a good DIY article, we do not want to start policing the semantics of "how to write a good classified ad".

I've always thought that the effort & thought that a seller puts into the ad is often reflective of the effort & thought that they put into the item that they are trying to sell.

• Like 3

Health insurance costs rising as fast as new boat pricing.

Just found out there's another massive increase for next year. My monthly payroll deduction will be the same as my mortgage, property taxes, and energy bill. Combined.

Deleting the middle class. Quickly.

• Like 1

Daylight savings time, Or whatever we call setting the clocks back in the fall and forward in the spring. Why are we still doing this? Seriously is there a real reason for it today?

• Like 4

Daylight savings time, Or whatever we call setting the clocks back in the fall and forward in the spring. Why are we still doing this? Seriously is there a real reason for it today?

Arizona doesn't bother to go back. Their on daylight savings all year long. Depending on what part of the year your on the Parker Strip, it can get really confusing (California on one side, AZ on the other) when planning to meet people.

• Like 2

Drivers in front of me that turn their left signal on late (or no signal at all) on a street with four lanes but no dedicated turn lane.

Memo to you guys (you know who you are!) :

We all want to get stuck behind you and then wait for the entire green so you can turn left when the light turns yellow so that we get stuck through an entire light sequence. Thanks for that. Signal earlier so that we have a chance to merge to the right lane! Wtf is wrong with you?

• Like 2

Arizona doesn't bother to go back. Their on daylight savings all year long. Depending on what part of the year your on the Parker Strip, it can get really confusing (California on one side, AZ on the other) when planning to meet people.

I dunno...

post-29-0-76459400-1446930633_thumb.png

Their peave: You not moving to the right lane when you have the chance.

Exactly!!! People who drive 5mph over the speed limit in the fast lane and won't move over, even when there's no traffic. PNW drivers are the WORST for that.
  • Like 3

Their peave: You not moving to the right lane when you have the chance.

My peeve, I'm in the left lane passing someone in the right lane, then some yahoo gets on my bumper to try to hurry me along. This has always resulted in me matching the speed of the guy I'm passing for many miles.

My peeve, I'm in the left lane passing someone in the right lane, then some yahoo gets on my bumper to try to hurry me along. This has always resulted in me matching the speed of the guy I'm passing for many miles.

So sweet. Of course, you could just hurry along....

I really think that I'm the only guy that actually tries to work with other drivers. Those of you who go out of your way to work against everyone else simply amaze me.

• Like 3

So sweet. Of course, you could just hurry along....

I really think that I'm the only guy that actually tries to work with other drivers. Those of you who go out of your way to work against everyone else simply amaze me.

And, I guess I'm the only guy that watches my speed and only drives the speed limit. (5 over is a big stretch for me)

Who'da thunk that? Only go the limit that is posted? What's wrong with me?

A year ago, I was driving a car with my sister (a cop) and she was amazed that I actually stopped at stop signs.

Not just:

S light

T ap

O n

P edal

Maybe it's driving a commercial truck for a living and having a CDL? I see other "truck" drivers do stupid things and I just think to myself, "not a professional driver".

There is a flow, kind of a harmony to everything (shopping store, street traffic, production lines, soccer games.....). I look for my fit in that flow and try to make it work for everyone. What grinds my gears are all the people out there that don't...like they are the only person on the planet, with complete disregard for everyone's "fit" and that flow.

• Like 3

Fitting my new plug and play bags and then not being able to get on plane, that really grinds my gears.

Also people constantly telling me I'm an a******, I already know I'm an a******, it's one of my skills!

Fitting my new plug and play bags and then not being able to get on plane, that really grinds my gears.

Also people constantly telling me I'm an a******, I already know I'm an a******, it's one of my skills!

Hey a******* you need a new prop ;)

sorry, had too

Edited by Stevo
  • Like 2

And, I guess I'm the only guy that watches my speed and only drives the speed limit. (5 over is a big stretch for me)

Who'da thunk that? Only go the limit that is posted? What's wrong with me?

A year ago, I was driving a car with my sister (a cop) and she was amazed that I actually stopped at stop signs.

Not just:

S light

T ap

O n

P edal

Maybe it's driving a commercial truck for a living and having a CDL? I see other "truck" drivers do stupid things and I just think to myself, "not a professional driver".

I don't mind people that drive the speed limit, I just don't like the ones that go exactly the speed limit in the fast lane. I could be going 10 over in the fast lane and if someone come up behind me, I move over as quick as possible. If I'm passing someone, I speed up, move over, and slow back down.

• Like 3