Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Finally going reversible

Ndawg12

My pump is probably 8 inches above the floor and it primes fine. The impeller pumps require keeping them low to prime but the reversible pumps will prime themselves by drawing a vacuum with the impeller reliably from my experience.

My pump is probably 8 inches above the floor and it primes fine. The impeller pumps require keeping them low to prime but the reversible pumps will prime themselves by drawing a vacuum with the impeller reliably from my experience.

Matt, are you running any airators anymore? Or all impeller?

Impeller pumps are not waterproof, so I would caution against locating them below the water line, If the bilge fills, your pumps may be under water.

There will always be some air in the lines between the thru-hull and pump after each retrieval and relaunch. For this reason, mounting them low and close to the intake is the most ideal. but not to the point that the install location is hard to get to and makes it hard for future pump service. Nothing wrong with a little compromise.

TimbrSS's is the install i was thinking about. the pumps are obviously way above water level.

Installation becomes easier if location is not critical.

Do we know if this worked for him?

It works very well for him. Three of those feed his dong sack.

It works very well for him. Three of those feed his dong sack.

He's right. I've had no problems with the Johnson 6-pack®. It just gets the job done, before I get the boat from the lift to the end of the no-wake zone.

Definitely do vent. If someone other than you is in the driver seat while filling or watching the bags for you they can get distracted and the bag can burst so don't just trust yourself to do it right every time. I put my vent together with a check valve as close to the bag as possible. The water on top of the valve helps it seal better. There is also a ball valve after that in case the check valve fails I have an easy backup.

Any chance you want to time the difference in fill/drain time? With my factory PNP the 900's in the rear take awhile to fill and forever to drain it seems, just wanted to quantify what kind of difference I may see here before ripping into my ~6 month old boat and replacing pumps. If not no biggie, just figured I'd ask.

Definitely do vent. If someone other than you is in the driver seat while filling or watching the bags for you they can get distracted and the bag can burst so don't just trust yourself to do it right every time. I put my vent together with a check valve as close to the bag as possible. The water on top of the valve helps it seal better. There is also a ball valve after that in case the check valve fails I have an easy backup.

Will your vent lines keep up with the pump? I mean, would you be comfortable turning on fill, and walking away for 30 minutes or so? Mine just don't get the job done and the bags will still overfill the compartment that are in and do damage.

Will your vent lines keep up with the pump? I mean, would you be comfortable turning on fill, and walking away for 30 minutes or so? Mine just don't get the job done and the bags will still overfill the compartment that are in and do damage.

I have vents, but have the same concerns.

I've considered installing switches on the inside of the locker doors that the sacs would press against if they got too full, these would then shut off the pump.

In my setup I have 3/4" hose except for the vent it is 1". Only because I was using what hose and fittings I had without buying extra. On the bow sac I have a reversible and the vent is short and doesn't go to a thru hull. It gives you a minute to notice that it is full and dumping over before the bag starts to expand. I had my fitting blow off on my 540 in the bow which prompted me to plumb the vent hose.

My 400's in the back don't take up the whole compartment and are on aerators so I don't worry about it.

Anyone upgraded to 1" and have any 3/4" check valves they would be willing to part with?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B95UCQC?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

I'm tempted to try these out because they are clear and cheap. Not sure on the quality compared to wakemakers but for less than $5 I say it's worth ordering one and trying it out.

These work in any position but don't use them. I ordered one of these for another application and do not recommend them for vent lines. I takes about 2 psi to open them which may be enough to blow up your bag or worse. The check valves sold by Wake Makers and Bakes open with very little pressure - for a good reason.

• 1 month later...