Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

M235 - G Killer?

Dan Cummins

14 hours ago, Stevo said:

^^^awwwww isn't that wave cute

Oh whatever.  That guy (handsome feller) just didn't have some wanker taking a pic from the side of the boat under the rub rail.

Surf it yourself and that is all you will need to know

14 hours ago, WakeSwagger said:

I suspect that this (or even lower) will be the going rate from here on out. At some point the bubble has to burst. There are certainly people out there who are willing to pay upwards of $170k to have one, but Malibu is clearly running out of innovators and early adopters to sell to. 

I've been hearing the bubble is gonna burst for 5 years now.

I really don't think that is gonna happen anytime soon.  As long as you can still get smoking interest rates on 15-20 year loans, it's all good.

Edited by bamaboy

^^^Never surfed a 24 MXZ but it looks sweet, Dark.  My point (delivered in classic fashion) was that vantage point of a picture of a surf wave is very important in how it looks. 

I hear there is a brofest going on this weekend where a bunch of Malibu slappies are gonna demo a G.  I'm sure they will report back here and let you know with pics and video how it was.  Oh yeah, and don't forget that the wave on the G is with all stock, sub floor ballast.

Edited by bamaboy
20 minutes ago, bamaboy said:

I've been hearing the bubble is gonna burst for 5 years now.

I really don't think that is gonna happen anytime soon.  As long as you can still get smoking interest rates on 15-20 year loans, it's all good.

I'm wondering about the used market bubble on these boats, especially when trying to sell a 1 year old boat.  At the point that you are paying - look at me money, does paying 10-15% less for a used one make up for not getting to select your own colors? 

@bamaboy man, i am just playing.  Just light hearted banter.

You are absolutely correct the camera position and angle have a lot to do with image outcome.  

I agree G is a great boat!  As teamerickson noted, the M235 took a lot of queue from the G

Edited by DarkSide

great great great looking wave, Darkside!

Here's the thing... is there a boat in anybody's lineup (save maybe a few of the GSA MBs which have bit hit and miss) that can't produce a surfable wave these days?  Five years ago people would've gone nuts over a wave like Darkside's.  Now it's just one among many legit waves.

• Like 3

Darkside...do you ever get wind there in the Phoenix area. It seems like this year, all we have had on Lake Mead is wind. I haven't been out on a nice, no wind, day in weeks.

@shawndoggy that was exactly my point a couple days ago!  Everyone produces a very good wave now.  Which is forcing other focuses, such as the bling of the M235.  Not that bling is what everyone wants, but waves have gotten so good, marketing on wake/wave isn't  enough.

@bbattiste247 I get ran off the lake every Saturday by wind!  This time of year between 2 and 4 the wind will kick up and completely trash the water.  I go on weekdays at sunrise,  5 am sets!  On weekends I am on the water 7:30 or so.  That way we get 6 hours of riding in.  My fuel tank only goes 6-7 hours, so works out well.  Plus 2 hour drive back home from the lake.

Edited by DarkSide
On 7/21/2016 at 7:13 PM, teamerickson said:

I just priced one out on seedealercost. Had to check almost every option to get to ~220 msrp. I don't know if this is to be believed, but there was ~90 difference between MSPR and invoice. Yikes!

That site is crap in my experience, having worked with several manufacturers in the past and seeing what is on there compared to reality.

ahopkins22LSV
24 minutes ago, bamaboy said:

So what's the take on the G @ahopkinsTXi?

The "G" in G23 must stand for garbage. 

Haha, not really. It was a beautiful boat that performed very good. The stock wave was very good. I liked how dense it was at 11.4-11.8mph. In comparison to the 25 was it was more dense, I'd say just as long with push all the way to the back of the wave, but more narrow. Personally I like the wider style wave. We surfed the 25 at 11mph and the wave wasn't quite as dense as the G. Maybe it would be as dense at the same speed? Dunno. The drive train on the G was money though. They have that setup very good. 

Now I understand the 25 is two feet long obviously but they are similar price points. I personally still like the 25 more. The waves are just as good with slightly different styles IMO so I would go with 25 if I was spending that kind of money. I also style like the Malibu dash and overal design/styling. Interior of the G was perfectly comfortable but again, I'm just not a huge fan of the design/styling.

More of a size comparison, I surfed our friends 14 23lsv last night. Stock with 550 pnp and about 600 in the walkway so a bit of extra weight. We surf at 10.4 because it has the 350 and that's pretty much the wall. But the wave was similar in length, a bit shorter but still has good push. Lacked the density of the G or 25 wave I'm guessing because of the slower speed. 

My one complaint that I have had since the G came out is that I can't walk under the tower without ducking. I'm only 6' maybe 6'1". Personally for the cost of the boat I think that's unacceptable. 

As a Malibu fan boy I think that's a very fair assessment since I said a Nautique is a very nice boat :lol:. But seriously I completely understand why people love the G. Now I really want to get behind and M though!

• Like 1
21 minutes ago, ahopkinsTXi said:

My one complaint that I have had since the G came out is that I can't walk under the tower without ducking. I'm only 6' maybe 6'1". Personally for the cost of the boat I think that's unacceptable. 

That is funny, that is the first thing I check on a boat.  I am 6' 2", both my boys are 6' 1".   This is one of the reasons I went with 24 MXZ vs 22 MXZ, when Bimini is deployed I can enter and exit with no risk of hitting my head.   The extra 2 1/2 feet push the Bimini forward enough that I never come close to hitting my head.

That is also why I only have the 2 outside tower speakers, the center pair is a headache waiting to happen.  After having a previous boat where you hit your head on the tower/bimini/speakers,  once you get one with clearance you will never go back.

Ahop- That is the first thing that any seasoned surfer says about my wave..... "Man, that wave is THICK". Obviously meaning firm/dense

Tower observation is right on the money. I did 8.8s outboard, and 7.7s inboard for that reason. However, I am only 5'8". Anyone that is 6'+ can still hit the 7.7s, and the front edge of the bimini. I wish I had ordered the sewlong bimini, as it sits much higher at the front.

• Like 3
59 minutes ago, DarkSide said:

I was giving Bama grief as well, in good fun!  

It is my thoughts that when you come to a MALIBU enthusiast forum, and promote Nautique products, a little proverbial crap should be expected.  

If I was to go to the planet Nautique forum, and try to convince them to see the error of thier ways.  I would expect to be greeted with a touch of salt as well.  

Now please understand I love seeing the posts from @TenTwentyOne @bamaboy @nyryan2001 and various others who have moved to the other side (traitors..lol).  I find a lot of useful information in thier posts.  TMC is a great BOATING forum, we just also happen to be alligned with the best brand also.  ?

Oh no one takes that banter seriously.  We know it's all in good fun.  Except @nyryan2001 of course. 

That being said, it must be hard to keep hearing how sweet the G is from your fellow Bu fanboys when it has been so thoroughly killed by the M 235.  

BAZINGA!

• Like 4
ahopkins22LSV
Just now, bamaboy said:

Oh no one takes that banter seriously.  We know it's all in good fun.  Except @nyryan2001 of course. 

That being said, it must be hard to keep hearing how sweet the G is from your fellow Bu fanboys when it has been so thoroughly killed by the M 235.  

BAZINGA!

Welllllllllllllll, you could be jumping the gun. I have yet to surf the M235. But at least I can walk under the tower so it only needs an equal or better surf wave for it to surpass the G in my book :biggrin:

Just now, ahopkinsTXi said:

Welllllllllllllll, you could be jumping the gun. I have yet to surf the M235. But at least I can walk under the tower so it only needs an equal or better surf wave for it to surpass the G in my book :biggrin:

I've surfed it.  Its freaking awesome. Every bit as good as the G.  

Don't forget that you have to fit into the observer compartment too.  Either that or mix in a salad once a week.  

Edited by bamaboy
  • Like 2
ahopkins22LSV
2 minutes ago, bamaboy said:

Don't forget that you have to fit into the observer compartment too.  Either that or mix in a salad once a week.  

Well I did get in the side seat storage compartment on the port side at the boat show so I would assume I could fit in the observer compartment as well :crazy: Plus I am down like 15 lbs since winter.

1 minute ago, bamaboy said:

the surf wave is tremendously better than the G... Nice smooth transitions... no double lip, getting back in wake does not stall board... 

the wakeboard wake was awesome as well... never boarded a G.. so I can 't compare them :(