Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

M235 - G Killer?

Dan Cummins

Quality needs to become a part of the culture, not a flavor of the week. It needs to be something the people believe in and get behind.

I would agree with that 100%, I think people can and do get behind. The hard part is do you want 8 good enough units pumped out a day, or 7 flawless units. When working at maximum capacity, you're maxed out. At that point either you hire more to insure quality or you slow down. Either way costs are added, and most company's will take "good enough". It's hard to do "more with less", but that's the way a lot of company's are operating now days.

• Like 2

Wasn't there someone that posted a pick of the drivers seat in the 2015 that went horribly wrong? IIRC-----

I don't think the 2015s are necessarily better.....I think we have to wait another year to know the answer to that.

This is the fundamental difference between me and you (in a nice way) I hold people accountable! It's never the fault of the lazy human.

This topic is for another thread, as I manage a good amount of people, but I guess I have realistic expectations. If the job is a 4 man job, I put 4 guys on it. I don't put 2 on it, then rip them because the didn't get it done. Again, proper tools to allow people to get the job done. Lazy would be asking for 4 guys for a two man job

One thing that hasn't been mentioned in the change process... If you want to really make people change how they work you have to also change the incentives (i.e. compensation, bonuses, etc.). You can't just expect people to change out of the goodness of their hearts. Figure out a fair way to measure it, then pay people based on that metric.

If Malibu started paying out a bonus on their quality, behavior would change.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned in the change process... If you want to really make people change how they work you have to also change the incentives (i.e. compensation, bonuses, etc.). You can't just expect people to change out of the goodness of their hearts. Figure out a fair way to measure it, then pay people based on that metric.

If Malibu started paying out a bonus on their quality, behavior would change.

The bonuses they pay have quality as one of the metrics.

The bonuses they pay have quality as one of the metrics.

Well maybe it's not meaningful enough.

And there's a difference between cleanliness and quality. I've owned a '12, '13, '14, and '15. While the initial quality of each was excellent, the cleanliness in the hidden places was not.

I have a picture of a huge piece of trash left behind in my '15 that is so blatant, it could have only been done on purpose.

Well maybe it's not meaningful enough.

And there's a difference between cleanliness and quality. I've owned a '12, '13, '14, and '15. While the initial quality of each was excellent, the cleanliness in the hidden places was not.

I have a picture of a huge piece of trash left behind in my '15 that is so blatant, it could have only been done on purpose.

No excuse for that. Have you shared the picture of what you found with your dealer? Did they share it with Malibu?

If so I imagine it is one of the things that are now being scrutinized as well. Like I said earlier, there is a whole new team over quality there.

The number one requirement for this, is to have upper level management actually be familiar with every job below them. That is where I feel that most of these companies are lacking........ I am very curious how much of Malibu's upper management knows how to assemble a boat. This is a HUGE key to providing a workforce with the skills and motivation needed to do an exceptional job every single time. You might say that the president of Malibu has better things to do, or has to deal with the "business" portion of the company only. I don't feel that way, and with the amount of compensation these guys take, I think they really should be "that good". They should literally be able to walk out of their office, and do any job in that business.

IMHO :)

I know that Ritchie, Lynn, and most from there on down are intimate with the production process and how to build the boats. Ritchie and Lynn, for example, worked their way up from the ground floor in the tow boat industry.

Ok, back to the M235. Someone had asked about the FAE that was on one of the boats in the pictures. I got my friend to send me this.

OK, so a question on that - they created a sink trap in that pipe routing are there small drain holes near the transom so that all the water in the "trap" can leave the boat? This is a big AIS no-no if there is no way to avoid transporting that water.

OK, so a question on that - they created a sink trap in that pipe routing are there small drain holes near the transom so that all the water in the "trap" can leave the boat? This is a big AIS no-no if there is no way to avoid transporting that water.

No idea. Might not find anything out until after the holiday.

not to mention creating a big exaust-cicle in the winter.

I own a manufacturing company (Animal Feed Manufacturing), that also has a packaging line, and order assembly line for custom orders. It is very much an "Assembly Line" type setup. Obviously a bit different than boat manufacturing, but operates on the same base principles. We also have about 100 direct dealers, and another 150 dealers that carry through a distributer, so pretty similar in that regard. While I find appropriate compensation to be a big part of keeping the employees doing the job perfectly down to the last detail........ I don't find it to be the most effective way of getting them to do the job to 100% standard every time.

The absolute best way I have found, and the best motivator, is to go down into the mill and join in the work myself. I am the one that knows all of the finite details, and the best way to ensure top product quality. I am also the one at the top of the pay scale. I go and do manual labor with my guys. I shoot the bull with the guys. I remind them why they need to go that extra step, while I am actually in the field doing the job. I don't sit them down and tell them how to do their job. I go do it with them, and I will always continue to pop in and help whenever I have time.

I only have about 30 employees, so this might not be as easy for larger companies (although, larger companies have middle management that should have time to mix in with the guys on the line. And the president should jump in with middle management from time to time). My point is, the employees will CARE 1000% more, if they feel that the employer is actually their friend, doesn't mind helping them out, and isn't "above" them, or give them the impression they are somehow too good to get their hands dirty. If the employees care about the boss, and the boss cares about the employees, there is a much higher level of overall respect. This higher level of respect will definitely bleed into the product that you are making. The employees will feel better about doing something perfectly for somebody they care about, which also makes them care more about the actual product, and your overall success.

The number one requirement for this, is to have upper level management actually be familiar with every job below them. That is where I feel that most of these companies are lacking........ I am very curious how much of Malibu's upper management knows how to assemble a boat. This is a HUGE key to providing a workforce with the skills and motivation needed to do an exceptional job every single time. You might say that the president of Malibu has better things to do, or has to deal with the "business" portion of the company only. I don't feel that way, and with the amount of compensation these guys take, I think they really should be "that good". They should literally be able to walk out of their office, and do any job in that business....... I can.

IMHO :)

It is easy to coach from behind a desk, but coaching as it happens is infinitely better! Even if you started from the bottom and worked your way up, it is easy to forget what it is like in the "trenches". The show Undercover Boss comes to mind.

Back to the M235, that FAE looks like water would stay in there where it bends up and around the wedge.

Don't the other FAE models have drain holes in the pipe if the pipe needs to travel up?

Is this thing actually made by FAE? I don't see a hundred hose clamps ;) I do wonder if the production piece will be one formed piece or if it is actually cost effective to be welding all those individual bends together.

• Like 2