Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

M235 - G Killer?

Dan Cummins

I have to ask.. Why do you say that?

The mission of the boat is to be the lamborghini (most luxurious) of tow boats. I still think the G interior looks better, as well as the X23 and would only consider this boat if it was priced less than the other two. From what I've heard this boat is suppose to be more expensive than the G and I just don't see it. If they said it was designed to be the baddest thing on the water and then outperformed the G, as well as undercut it in price then they just might be on to something. Not hating, big Malibu fan, just my opinion.

Malibu won't price this significantly above the G23 for competitive reasons so there's going to be some of these boats showing up on this site in the next year. There's already a few G owners on this thread as TMC members, so it seems some of the crew could get spousal approval for the M235. I keep seeing pics of 2015 and 2016 LSVs and MXZs, so won't be surprised to see M235s start to show up in the spring. And gas is still cheap.

I'll take the over on 1.5 but you do already owe one member lunch, wanna make it two? ; )

Oh that's right!! It's official tonight... I owe lunch to ID.

I might owe -BS- a lunch too unless my Bruins come through and beat Utah. Sheesh. See why I don't bet real money? I suck at gambling.

ahopkins22LSV

The mission of the boat is to be the lamborghini (most luxurious) of tow boats. I still think the G interior looks better, as well as the X23 and would only consider this boat if it was priced less than the other two. From what I've heard this boat is suppose to be more expensive than the G and I just don't see it. If they said it was designed to be the baddest thing on the water and then outperformed the G, as well as undercut it in price then they just might be on to something. Not hating, big Malibu fan, just my opinion.

I can understand you aren't super high on the design but to call it not luxury I don't see how you can say that. I don't like the Lincoln line of cars, but they are without question luxury. And there are way more features in this boat then a normal or even highly optioned out LSV, VLX, MXZ, ect. And that is just from browsing the pictures on social media. Many of these same features are found in the G and X23 sure, but that is what companies do. They offer the same or very similar features as their competitors.

Did a google search to try and find the video... Found the "Build a boat" for the m235 instead... It isn't in the drop down menu on the website but here is the link!

http://www.malibuboats.com/build-a-boat/mseries/test-m235-16.html

Kudos to Malibu for getting this up and running at launch. I bought the first year T22 and the build site wasn't available until a few months after I ordered.

When I first saw the pic of the transom I thought "if it didn't say Malibu and M235, I'd have thought it was a Nautique or a mastercraft". I thought Malibu had their own styling queues? Guess not. Even if I were in the market for a new boat, this wouldn't be the one for me. I'm not a fan of pickle fork design. Never have and never will be. JMO

jeez. that probably adds $2k to the price tag just so someone doesn't have to manually slide their own air dam? :Frustrated:

the wife took one look at that and said "oh that will break for sure"

Edited by Stevo
  • Like 1

Not my cup of tea, but I knew that going in. I'd take the smallest boat I could get away with.......bigger isn't always better. Shoot, I'd have a Response if I didn't need a family boat. Wiht those caveats, my *personal* thoughts on it:

• Whoever said that it looked like they tried to build a big luxury boat first, and thought about how it did at watersports second probably nailed it (see above, though)
  • Way back it was discussed that this is a halo boat. I think they nailed it. It'll help sell more LSV/VLX/VTX's and MXZ's than it'll actually move.
  • I think the typical customer is probably most concerned with one-upping their peers than anything else. Malibu probably should have designed in some kind of storage for big tubes ILO surfboards and wakeboards (yes there will be exceptions)
  • Lamborghini analogy is a bit perplexing. They are far from luxurious, they are freakin' exotics that have always been small and cramped. But, they are both quite contemporary and eccentric......which is to say if they weren't so expensive they'd be considered gawdy and tacky. Frankly, they both exist as a response to another brand. Hopefully the M235 will age better than Lamborghini's do. Lambo's are no bigger than the other cars in their peer group, and are generally in the small/nimble category. I really think the best automotive comparator here would be a Bentley (Continental GT).
  • I'm wondering how many folks that own Lamborghini's and multi-million dollar homes trailer their boats and keep the stored in the open. I'm guessing about zero. So that was a chuckle. I imagine most of those will be kept on the water, either a nice marina or a lakehouse.
  • Love the walk through open bow area. Especially the retractable wind break. Really hope that trickles down, as Malibu seems to be way behind the others in that feature.
  • Love teh walk through area to teh transom. Would love to see a way to make this a more common feature, though with the caveat that there would have to be a removable cushion to allow a sun deck area. Would be tight with teh engine in the smaller boats, but still a great feature
  • Love the fold down rear seat/step. Will likely preserve upholstery very well, as the stepping on the cushion thing has got to be the biggest cause of wear.
  • I LOVE the metal flake mocha and blue combination! I'm sure it'll be dated in a decade or so, but like I said, the hwole boat probably will be. Much much better than the sinus infection snot green and white from the video.
  • VTX was my favorite of the new boats. But I'd also like to ski more than the average person here.
  • Glad I wasn't a dealer there. I just don't care for the overly dramatic rah-rah stuff. I'd rather see Mike Q or Matt B emcee the thing.

In summary, this will probably be an incredible boat for its target market. That just isn't me, though. But I also knew that going in.

• Like 1

On the flip down step seat back is it just me or does it look like the next logical step you'd take would still be on seat base upholstery? I mean I see how it helps you climb into the deep interior but I don't think it helps with the wear on the seatcushions as the primary point of entry.

• Like 3

On the flip down step seat back is it just me or does it look like the next logical step you'd take would still be on seat base upholstery? I mean I see how it helps you climb into the deep interior but I don't think it helps with the wear on the seatcushions as the primary point of entry.

Looks to me like those are for standing on to access the board racks. The corner cushions on my boat were the first to go for this reason. I think this is the one thing on the boat that I actually think I would want.