Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Boat Lift Help

gwake1989

Hi Malibu Crew,

I recently purchased a home on a lake in Northern CA and I would like to put in a boat lift. The water drops 10 feet in the winter and now is the perfect time to put in a lift. The question is, what type of lifts have you guys used that would work on my unique fixed boat slip. I have a 2007 VLX and I know it will be a snug fit. There are two side-by-side slips. The measurements of the slips are:

Depth: 10 ft 10.5 in (130.5 in)

Width: 10 ft. 7.5 in (127.5 in)

Length: 23 ft 4.5 in (280.5 in)

Thank you for your help. I know some of you have encountered similar situations, and could share some great advice or experience.

IMG_20150926_122132261_HDR%201.jpg

IMG_20150926_122152927_HDR%201.jpg

IMG_20150926_122207177_HDR%201.jpg

IMG_20150926_122511382%201.jpg

Looks like the cable style lifts that pull from above would be your best bet. They depend more on the structure above not below which carries all the weight. with that in mind these pictures don't help much, whats it look like up there?

Thanks for your help.

Jcon44: The structure above the lift is a deck covering the lift and extending out over the water. It can hold a patio set, bbq, etc, but it wasn't built to support a cable style lift. Are there cable style lifts that use an independent metal frame that could be installed over the slip?

Skier007: This is Lake Tulloch in Copperopolis. I've gone around the lake and haven't seen another fixed dock like this. Most homes on Tulloch have a floating lift and use a Hydrohoist type lift, which from my research, won't work on a fixed cement slip like mine. We're going to have to get creative.....

Seems like 4 6" poles properly braced would work. I happen to have a used 6k lift for sale that would work for you if you weren't so far away!! We are having 2 of these put in this winter and I'd think your design would have to be similar.

fixed_docks_041.jpg

Like Skier suggested, usually you'd check out what others are using, then contact the local dealers for those lifts.

If the roof isn't built to support a lift (and the weight of the boat), then building a steel structure under the roof like you mentioned is about your only option.

I don't know if a Basta or Shoremaster lift that is sitting on the ground would be too wide to fit in that slip.

Or how about a Jetdock? They aren't cheap, but they do make an inboard setup.

Like Skier suggested, usually you'd check out what others are using, then contact the local dealers for those lifts.

If the roof isn't built to support a lift (and the weight of the boat), then building a steel structure under the roof like you mentioned is about your only option.

I don't know if a Basta or Shoremaster lift that is sitting on the ground would be too wide to fit in that slip.

Or how about a Jetdock? They aren't cheap, but they do make an inboard setup.

Can those jet docks support the weight of the boat when the water level drops like it is now?

Thanks for all the help and input.

Ndawg12: That design looks like it would work. What brand of lift is that? Do they have a website or a West Coast Dealer?

BillAirJunky: I think the steel beam structure is a good option. I looked into Bastalift, but their dealer said the lift wouldn't raise the boat high enough. The slip is 11 feet deep and a Bastalift placed on the bottom of the slip wouldn't be able to lift the boat out of the water when the summer water comes back in. I think your idea of a steel beam structure is the best idea. Just need to find one that lifts the boat out of the water high enough, without hitting the tower on the deck above.

Can those jet docks support the weight of the boat when the water level drops like it is now?

I don't believe it would be a good idea. The weight of the boat & the concrete underneath would cause the plastic to fail.

Ndawg12: That design looks like it would work. What brand of lift is that? Do they have a website or a West Coast Dealer?

BillAirJunky: I think the steel beam structure is a good option. I looked into Bastalift, but their dealer said the lift wouldn't raise the boat high enough. The slip is 11 feet deep and a Bastalift placed on the bottom of the slip wouldn't be able to lift the boat out of the water when the summer water comes back in. I think your idea of a steel beam structure is the best idea. Just need to find one that lifts the boat out of the water high enough, without hitting the tower on the deck above.

Basta is a company that came out of Nyman boat lifts in the Seattle area. I have a buddy on Sammamish who has a modified Nyman lift that has extra long legs on it. 11' is pretty high. But I know his is a lot taller that stock & works great. He actually keeps his old Prostar on the lift in the winter time & never has a problem. Their docks are fixed on pilings with no roof.

Another option might be to build pedestals under each leg of the lift, like maybe stacking concrete cinder blocks?

Sorry I don't know the manufacturer off hand, there's probably several options, but these types of lifts are common on our main channel where it gets rough. People in no wake coves usually have a jet type lift. You're gonna need to buy the parts somewhere, I would just stop in at a reputable dock builder and ask some questions.